Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All fights end up on the ground?

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    Knowing how to sprawl and remain fighting on your feet was also another very good point made...such an important move to know if involved in real street confrontations...
    I'm also not a big fan of the sprawl on the street if your concern is multiple opponents. A spawl leaves you tied-up, relatively immobile and committed to defending the shoot while being spread out. If the opponent has any takedown skills at all he will continue to work to suck in the legs and you will have to continue to battle with the sprawl, ****zer and head control, all the while leaving your back undefended against other opponents.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-06-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Originally posted by KFD
    .for instance, I live in AZ. i think wrestling is really dumb here because that'd be on 100 F concrete/asphalt. that would burn your skin right off.
    And who is the one who will have his back pushing into the burning asphalt with his head being slammed into the pavement? The one who gets taken down. For the one who does the takedown, this can be an excellent strategy.

As far as takedowns against multiple opponents, a suplex, hip throw, or double leg lift/slam can be great ways to make it one less person very fast.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-06-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: All fights end up on the ground?

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Another thing is to keep him defensive. the shot requires forward motion. If you have him backpedalling or at least on the defensive, he will have trouble shooting in.
    I agree with SevenStar on most things, but not this. My experience in wrestling/takedowns is that the best time to get the takedown is when your opponent is being offensive.

In one movie fight I saw as a kid, it didn't end up on the ground. This Arabian bad guy runs through the door and closes the door quickly. The good guy throws this sword through the door and impales the bad guy. The next scene shows the door swinging open with the guy impaled.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun

But but--- the door was connected to the ground and the bad guy very likely- eventually ended up on the ground or under it.
    Except for the flotsam and jetsam in space things end up on the ground somewhere.

You're right Ray, same thing in Enter The Dragon when Bruce impales Han on the spear in the mirror maze.

Of course Bruce finished the fight with the first guy in the temple on the ground with a lovely crucifix variation.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Yep, Bruce was a bit ahead of his time with that move.

James Bond killed many bad guys in a weightless environment in "Moonraker" and we all know that there are no real ground or cieling in zero gravity!...So we know that fights can go in orbit sometimes!...

Yes we need a new art to fit the times.
    What time is it? As time goes by.
    Good bye wing chun.

"I'm a firm believer in causing harm to someone who tries to grab. I tend to attack the throat, eyes, or dig a phoenix eye in to any body part I can reach...It will make some loosen a grip."

I agree with this 100 %.

When he attempts to grab - striking at vulnerable targets, in conjunction with a fall-back
    sprawl/w hizzer/head control, etc. anti-grab and anti-takedown strategy is the way to go on the street...

although I also agree that in certain instances a takedown or throw on the street can work to one's advantage (ie. - no chance of his friends coming to his aid and/or he goes to the hot pavement and you either remain standing or you land on top)...

As far as the sprawl tying you up for his friends to take advantage...

Better to know the sprawl in a street situation than not know it...because after not allowing yourself to be grabbed at all - the sprawl is still the next best thing to use against the grab and takedown artist - even if you are at risk of getting entangled/caught up with him...since the alternative is to immediately go down to the ground...

and if his friends are around and/or the terrain is forbidding - on the ground is not where I'd like to be if I can avoid it.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 10-08-2004 at 03:04 PM.