Thread: Looking for Yang Shao Hou Book

Looking for Yang Shao Hou Book

I'm fascinated by the Yang Shao Hou form, and am always looking for anything about this form in print.

There is a book, called:

Xu Z.J. (1991)
    Yang Shi Taijiquan Xiao Jia Yi Qi Ji Ji Ying Yung
    [Yang Style Taijiquan Small Frame And Its Combat Applications]
    Beijing Ti Yu Xue Yuan Chu Ban She, Beijing,

ISBN 7-81003-509-6/C.383

If anyone knows where this book can be bought, or if there is an english language (or even german or dutch language one), please let me know.

I find it odd that there are so many books on rare forms of Bagua, but there are so few about this style, which is closely related (family wise) to the most widespread style of Taichi, the Yang Cheng Fu style.

Greetings,

I do not know if you are in the U.S. If you are you may want to try the Public Library. There was a time when they could order a book for you. Since you have the ISBN#, give them a try.

mickey

Looking for Yang Shao Hou Book

Hi Mickey,

Thanks. Unfortunately live in Holland. I don't even know if Chinese publishers are on a different ISBN system. I had one store trying to find one for me, but they couldn't.

It seems odd that no one like say Tim Cartmell would have translated something on this for in English by now. Tai Chi has been "in" since the seventies.

OY

Also, I found a Tai Chi teacher in Amsterdam who claims to teach Old Yang Style, and I guess I'm looking for something to compare his forms by.

Dan-Qiu Shi was a student of Li-Sheng Gu.

Old Yang,

I suggest you try asking the Tai chi teacher about the book. He may have (or know someone who may have) archived a few copies of the book for students in their own lineage.

mickey

I got just about every book that's ever published. This is a ok book but not anything special though. If you really need it (or want it), I'll mail it to you, just email me from my profile and i'll sent it to you from NY.

wu style

am I mistaken

Wu chian chuan (the founder of Wu style) trained with Yang Shou Hou. Throw in the fa-jin, jumping and stamping etc…..and by all accounts that was Yang shou hou's small circle style.

Right?

I wasn't aware that there was any real legit linage holders of this style.

Please give critique to my video-small frame & others

Dear Brother ¡°Old Yang¡±, ¡°Hung-Le¡±, ¡°Oasis¡±:

About that ¡°YangShaohou Book¡±, i was originally just going to mail it out to ¡°Old Yang¡± anonymously and not mentioning anything about Yang Shaohou, but seeing your enthusiasm and being a martial arts older brother of yours, I decided to share something more-you can watch me demonstrating one version of the small frame form online in one of my disciple¡¯s websites.

I am one of the inheritors of Small Frame Yang style Taiji and I live between Beijing and NY. Let me just show you my videos of one version of the style (links on the bottom) and we can talk about it later.

Basically, Wu Tunan is only one of the inheritors of the family¡¯s small frame form, he studied for 4 years after a few years of learning with Wu Jianquan in his teens. My lineage is from Tian Zhaolin-Ye Dami(both are from Shanghai)-Ye Ruichun combining flavors of a couple of other teachers, not from the Wu Tunan lineage.

A little about Grandmaster Ye Dami, he was one of the main sponsors of Yang Chengfu in Shanghai and even though he was one generation lower, in many ways, Yang Chengfu called him brother. He founded the 1st Tai Chi center of Shanghai, Wudang Taichi School(being a friend of General Li Jinglin, spending years of retreat in Wudang, he prefer the name ¡°Wudang¡± over ¡°Yang¡±.)(a photo of his is in ¡°Warrior of Stillness¡± book), his teacher Tian Zhaolin was like a servant to Yang Shaohou, but Shaohou¡¯s father JianHou could not stand the severe beating and abuse done onto Tian by his son, so he also decided to teach Tian, that¡¯s how Tian learned his version of small frame. Some of his disciples are still alive in shanghai and their form is not the same as my video, but there are similarities, we are all very different from the Large frame form. About push-hands, haha, i¡¯ll be in Shanghai next month and i¡¯ll find out when i go visit them.

As a newcomer on the board and older brother of Kung fu, feel free to let me know if there is any question I can answer for you. I give seminars at more than 30 martial arts schools nationwide and I am a lineage holder of Sun Style as well. If you look at the board¡¯s event¡¯s calendar, I just taught a Sun Xingyi workshop in Manhattan last week hosted by BP Chan and BK Francis¡¯s students. I did a demo and said if any two person from the crowd was able to hold my arm down while i was flat laying on the ground(one person controlling one arm), i would walk out the seminar and refund their tuition and stated that this was nothing close to what Master Sun Lu Tang was able to do. The truth is, in China, I know at least over a dozen of friends are way better than me, but only two of them are government-related coaches, two of them are my Big Brothers-coach Zhang HongJun and Zhang Hongbiao of Tianjin.(Oasis, your teacher Shawn Liu knows them as well, that¡¯s where I learned the trick from even though they are from the Zhang ZhaoDong lineage, principles are the same as in Sun Style.) I am not too attached to the origin or lineage as long as the right principles are there in the style.

My videos were shot many years ago when I just started to teach and there are a lot of mistakes there, please be kind to pt out, but you might find them better than a lot of the Yang styles today. Anyway, I leave them there so my students can also learn from my mistakes.

Feel free to contact and welcome to New York as guests anytime, i just quit my job as Dept Chair of an Acupuncture college and now teach at my friend-Master Ray Longo¡¯s school in Long Island, one of the homes of Ultimate Fighters(one of his champion student is Matt Sierra who¡¯s fighting in Japan), I am applying internal principles of Xingyi and Bagua to teach the fighters recover faster and putting Fajin in their workout. (also, this is the first time teaching grapplers, I have to say they are very nice people, much better morals than some of my kung fu friends, just to let you know.)

The more I see, the more I feel Wang XiangZhai¡¯s direction was right but missing a couples of cures of treating training side-effects¡_..today China¡¯s internal is better than ever in terms of evolution- new styles with thousands of practitioners are not even heard of here in US (some are founded by my friends)-Master Li Zijian¡¯s the Way of the Path, Lu¡¯s Universal Law, Coach Zhang HongJun¡¯s Harmony Qi Dance, etc, I will slowly expose these styles in US now that I quit my job.

Some of my Video Demonstrationsa bit of everything)

http://www.academy-martialarts.com/milford/taichi.html
    http://www.academy-martialarts.com/milford/bagua.html
    ... Demonstrated by. Ping Zhen Cheng. T'ai Chi ...
    www.toburan.com/wtcd03/videos(Chen & Yang)
    http://www.toburan.org/movies/lg/
    http://www.toburan.org/movies/sm/
    (a documentary with some of my demos)
    (watching the 1st & 2nd video sometimes requires going into the main site and click on the following: "Disciplines"-"baguachang" or "taichi")

Kung Fu Magazine News and Events
    ... New York will be hosting Professor Ping Zhen Cheng on a ... Professor Cheng is a native
    of Hebei, his lineage ... Sun Cunzhou's close-door disciple, Master Zhang Lie ...
    ezine.kungfumagazine.com/news/index.php - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

If any of you still need that book, I¡¯ll get my assistant instructor to mail them to you.

Ping zhen Cheng of New York
    Last edited by taiji1; 10-21-2004 at 05:17 PM.

Yes a small frame style. For a brief moment it looked as though (at the beginning) (whomever) was doing Chen small frame. It also had dashes and sprinkles of Funei style Lao jia…..ie “san she bo” etc....

Nice…an authentic Yang style small frame.

" As a newcomer on the board and older brother of Kung fu, feel free to let me know if there is any question I can answer for you. "

I think it is fantastic to see the old style gaining more attention around the world. This is the real Tai Chi.

These videos are very impressive. The small frame looks like a more refined Chen style form.

Especially the form at http://toburan.com/wtcd03/videos/ is very impressive.

Are you planning on putting out an instructional video?

Far away from perfection

Old Yang, thanks for the kind word, but my teachers thought my videos were far away from their standard when they were shot years ago, at least in the Chinese Traditional Standard. Well they did't think my moves were bad, but not exactly "good" neither, my Chen Style teacher, Master Luping Zhang would never do a video while he was alive because he also wanted "NOTHING IMPERFECT", NOTHING, I MEAN, if you knew anything about Luping.

Years ago I thought they were ok, now i think they are not because now i improved much, but if i do another shooting now, 5 years later when i look at them, i know that i 'll still say "Yak"....Not only me, even Master Sun, before he passed away, his xingyi was looking very different from his book.

Anyway, you'll get the book in the mail soon. And stay in touch.
    Last edited by taiji1; 10-21-2004 at 05:21 PM.