Thread: Shaolin Longfist vs. Northern Shaolin

Shaolin Longfist vs. Northern Shaolin

Are these two different systems? I allways get confused if Shaolin Longfist(like what Yang Jwing Ming does) and Northern Shaolin are the same things.

Northern Shaolin Long Fist is the name for GM Han Ching Tang's system. He based his system on the shaolin curriculum of the National Nanjing Martial Institue where he studied in the early republican days.

Bak Siu lum/northern shaolin is organized by the civilians martial artis trying to preserve the shaolin system.

similarity: both system are based, derived, and influence by northern shaolin systems

difference: one was sponsored by the military/government and the other organized by civilians;

there are some overlapping sets, differences in intepretataion and emphasis.
    dazed and confused

> Northern Shaolin Long Fist is the name for GM Han Ching Tang's
    > system. He based his system on the shaolin curriculum of the
    > National Nanjing Martial Institue where he studied in the early
    > republican days.
    Something I would like to add here. GM Han's curriculum mostly came from the forms he leared in Sang Dong before he went to the Institute. Only three out of ten empty hand forms were from the Institute.

The Insitute taught many different styles, Northern Shaolin, Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Tai Chi, Pi Gua, Fan Zi, Shuai Jiao, and many others. Most people went to the Institute already have learned their own styles.

Cheers,

Northern Shaolin Longfist, Bak Siu Lum, Songshan Shaolin, Northern Shaolin (styles like cha, hong, hua, etc) are all different systems, all with there similarities, are all have there flavors as well. There are a few other "Northern Shaolin Longfists" too... similar, and overlapping to YJMings system, and others like some of what Adam Hsu teaches. We have some wushu and other stuff sort of mixed in at the school I go to.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    There are a few other "Northern Shaolin Longfists" too... similar, and overlapping to YJMings system, and others like some of what Adam Hsu teaches.
    Adam Hsu and YJMIng's long fist teacher are kung-fu brother under GM Han. so, the core northern shaolin long fist system between the two are the same. the interpretation differ due to different exposures/experiences.
    dazed and confused

You're right, I meant to say it a bit differently. Either way, there are a bunch.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Just curious, but which system is Ku Yu Chang(sp?) associated with?

Ku Yu Cheung's system is Bak Si Lum I believe

found this too

http://www.harmoniousfist.com/kuyucheung.html

all about him
    Last edited by Friendless Tool; 10-04-2004 at 08:22 PM.

Yeah, BSL.....

do a search, there is a bunch of info on the forum via Gene, NS, and numerous others.
    practice wu de