View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1009 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 950990995999910071008100910101011101910591109 ... LastLast
Results 15,121 to 15,135 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I remember watching that vid with Sifu Wing Lam

It was a big seller. Carradine's Tai Chi Workout was a huge seller as it was advertised in Parade (the Sunday newspaper mag and considered the biggest in the mag industry nowadays). But way back when it was first hitting in the last 90s, I was working with Sifu Lam on his video series, so we decided to watch it as 'research'. We got popcorn even. Now, if any of you know Sifu Lam, he's very easy going and seldom has a bad word to say on anyone else's practice, even when it's horrible. But for that, he was laughing the loudest I've ever heard him laugh at such a thing. We all were. It really is an astounding vid for so many reasons.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have made an error in my poll

This is embarrassing as I was trained how to do data collecting surveys in college (it's a psych thing). As it stands, I have four options, but in reality, there are only three. "Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!" and "Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently." are both votes to unlock the thread. In truth, there should be only three options: unlock, keep locked and delete. The two unlock voting options should be merged and the subsequent decision to merge the S-D threads should be a separate issue. And now that HSK has deleted the extraneous 'Open Discussion on SHAOLIN DO' thread, it's somewhat irrelevant.

Oh dear, we've done mucked up the vote. This is the hanging chad of election 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but nothing on KFM can hurt or offend me.
    Now that sounds like a challenge.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I just recently started participating on this forum, but have read the archives for years, because so often when I would do a specific search on something Kung Fu related, this forum was the only source of information I could find.

Even today when I do research on some style or form, the best information, (or misinformation, whichever the case), usually comes from this forum...so I think deleting a thread of that size would do a disservice to any future interested, uniformed people.

Besides, some of it's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Are you talking about Sin The or Gene?
    LOL, naw I was talking about Gene. But that applies to SKT as well. I think it was more than money for SKT. I think SKT has 'wannabe' factored into his monetary goals. Everyone loves the idea of Shaolin, it's a very good story. I can see why all these frauds attach to that image. Especially when all the movies started coming out. There is a lot of interest there. And we could fill the whole forum with stories of people being taken by frauds saying they are shaolin. Unfortunately these people didn't see the internet coming and had no idea how much info would be available to so many people. Without the net, the lie would be much stronger. Only the real deal would know better. But now anyone can learn these things in a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I always just used a rope. Works awesome. For me, all the tension is in my knees. The rope is wonderful for that. I can see how you could really hurt yourself being dumb about it tho.

So maybe everyone should just go to www.martialartsmart.com instead

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I approached GMT with a Design for a SD uniform 15 years ago and said he should approach TC with my design and require it for all SD schools, it is an awesome design and style. But he wanted everyoneto make their own decisions I told him it would be a good thing to stop the talk of the Karate Uniform thing. KC
    Can we see?

brief description

The uniform, has a draw string waist with elastic 2.5 inch waist band. The cuffs have a Velcro 1 inch cuff closure that allows the cuff to be closed or open. there is one pocket in the rear the gusset depending on size of course can be up to 18 inches. The top is crossover block style and the underarms are vented to allow overhead movement w/o the jacket riding up. the top is closed with frog buttons on the side witha angled lapel to the neck with a Mandarin Collar. The sleeves can be zipped or locked in for removal at lower bicep length. Its awesome , there is some detail here but there is a secret to the design that sets it apart ,i wont tellwhat that is. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

This is embarrassing as I was trained how to do data collecting surveys in college (it's a psych thing). As it stands, I have four options, but in reality, there are only three. "Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!" and "Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently." are both votes to unlock the thread. In truth, there should be only three options: unlock, keep locked and delete. The two unlock voting options should be merged and the subsequent decision to merge the S-D threads should be a separate issue. And now that HSK has deleted the extraneous 'Open Discussion on SHAOLIN DO' thread, it's somewhat irrelevant.

Oh dear, we've done mucked up the vote. This is the hanging chad of election 2012.

Now that sounds like a challenge.
    No it's a good thing. Poll results should only be revealed when completed. Merging the two changes the expected results and that changes how people will vote. As much as people want to believe they are unique individuals free from suggestion, they are not. They see their buddies act one way and they conform more often than not. That is why net-enemies are more likely to call out bullsh1t than a friend would.

Hell yeah, bring it on. Just don't start anything you don't intend to finish. One thing I find annoying is when somebody starts a debate then just fukcs off. Other than that, it's all good.

I'm voting to unlock and merge. This forum is an awesome (if muddy) resource for information. If people want to know about Shaolin Do, there's no reason they shouldn't have access to the muddy information in this thread. Besides, people obviously enjoy the thread regardless of what they think of Shaolin Do. But it was fun to see what happened when it got locked.

Yeah I noticed that right off.

I considered mentioning it, but I am not very good at making substantive posts with thought provoking information or constructive criticism, I am way to humble for that kind of public display of genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Hell yeah, bring it on. Just don't start anything you don't intend to finish. One thing I find annoying is when somebody starts a debate then just fukcs off.
    I firmly disagree with this spurious comment considering that.......uh........you know........well......ummmmmm..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Uh that would be YOU, not moderators in general, and only you when you are unfair!

So , back at you. I figured you would jump on that. I've had your number for years now!
    Unfair? Moi?

Heavy handed at times. Mean to those who are mean, yes. But unfair? I think not.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Unfair? Moi?

Heavy handed at times. Mean to those who are mean, yes. But unfair? I think not.
    I was willing to let bygones be bygones, but.......since you appear to want to rehash old disagreements.......

You deleted my thread and then let two other threads that addressed the exact same topic proceed AFTER I threw my hissy fit!!!!

Thus you recognized you were behaving unfairly, and allowed exactly what I chose to discuss to continue on other threads NOT started by me. You were heavy-handed yes, but you were also unfair and either sticking it to me unfairly and got caught or recognized your error of judgment and thus allowed the other two threads to continue.

You just won't admit it, is all!!

And you can't say I was disrespectful because I addressed the issue in question at the time in a very appropriate manner!

But don't worry, I forgive you and give you my blessing which should make you feel right as rain and at peace with all peoples!!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 10-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I was willing to let bygones be bygones, but.......since you appear to want to rehash old disagreements.......

You deleted my thread and then let two other threads that addressed the exact same topic proceed AFTER I threw my hissy fit!!!!

Thus you recognized you were behaving unfairly, and allowed exactly what I chose to discuss to continue on other threads NOT started by me. You were heavy-handed yes, but you were also unfair and either sticking it to me unfairly and got caught or recognized your error of judgment and thus allowed the other two threads to continue.

You just won't admit it, is all!!

And you can't say I was disrespectful because I addressed the issue in question at the time in a very appropriate manner!

But don't worry, I forgive you and give you my blessing which should make you feel right as rain and at peace with all peoples!!

It can't be that memorable for me. I have no idea what you're talking about. I guess that comes with the heavy handed. I don't even think about stuff like that. It's either gonna get scrubbed or not and that's that.

Judgement call, on the fly and no, they aren't always gonna be great, but, c'est la vie.

Thanks for your blessing. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    yeah, about that hissy fit you threw - I think I found it in my backyard;

next time, please aim somewhere else...
    What can I say? I have a good arm!!!