View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 149 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 49991391471481491501511591992496491149 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

jp,

much respect for putting up vid of yourself. and you didn't blow your knee out this time

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    To be using a lighter version of the weapon, I would have thought you could have done the spins a little faster. If you had zipped it around at the opening, I think it would have looked a tad more impressive.

The stances were a tad high (especially from a M. Mullins student) and could have landed a bit more solid. As bad as it hurts to agree with Fu. it is a strong weapon and the user needs to be as rooted as possible.
    Eh, I'm old and slow. That's about top speed for the spin.

To my teacher's defense, I didn't become a Mullins student until after I had been a black sash for about 8 years. My stances are still high for their classes, but I fight well and give free legal advice from time to time, so they claim me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by hungsingclf
    jp,

much respect for putting up vid of yourself. and you didn't blow your knee out this time
    Amen to that! For those that didn't know, I blew my knee out doing the form in a demo on grass. The first jump and BAM. No more ACL.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Wow.

Hey, would you say that is more influenced by your first teacher or your current teacher?

It's hard for me to tell from the video, but that "kwan" dao, looks more like a Ja Ma Dao (horse cutter) to me.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu
    Wow.

Hey, would you say that is more influenced by your first teacher or your current teacher?
    Wow what? Go ahead and say whatever's on your mind. That's why I posted it.

As for your question, I learned the form from my first teacher and I still do it the same way he taught it. There's a few stylistic differences and a lot of athletic differences, but it is, form wise, the essentially the same.

B#9: Technically it is since it doesn't have a pike of spear on the other end (it only has a counter-weight) but I have an affinity to doing forms with functional weapons, so I use this when I do SD Kwan dao form.

The specs are found here: http://www.bladetown.com/Cold-Steel-...rd-p-1804.html
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-22-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    B#9: Technically it is since it doesn't have a pike of spear on the other end (it only has a counter-weight) but I have an affinity to doing forms with functional weapons, so I use this when I do SD Kwan dao form.
    Kwan Daos usually have a dorsal fin hook on the top of the blade as well.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Wow what? Go ahead and say whatever's on your mind. That's why I posted it.

As for your question, I learned the form from my first teacher and I still do it the same way he taught it. There's a few stylistic differences and a lot of athletic differences, but it is, form wise, the essentially the same.

The specs are found here: http://www.bladetown.com/Cold-Steel-...rd-p-1804.html
    Wow, wasn't an insult. It was a remark about how similar this is to the West schools. You hear so much about the differences, by those who shall not be named, that it is interesting to see how close the forms really are.

Wow, wasn't an insult. It was a remark about how similar this is to the West schools. You hear so much about the differences, by those who shall not be named, that it is interesting to see how close the forms really are.
    Well they should be essentially the same no matter who the teacher is, but individual prefernces (and weaknesses) do start to creep in.

I dunno....I saw a guy from one of the Idaho school do a 2nd degree brown bird form and I could barely tell that it was the same as ours. It was quite different. I think some forms are different, some not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    I dunno....I saw a guy from one of the Idaho school do a 2nd degree brown bird form and I could barely tell that it was the same as ours. It was quite different. I think some forms are different, some not so much.
    Nope it is differences in teaching styles. The forms aren't different just portrayed with different focus.

How long you have studied plays a huge role in how the form looks. I agree with what JP said.

JP: The reason I brought it up is the stories I've heard of large differences (who does what wrong blah blah blah) it is shocking to see large similarities.

I have to agree with lx here. There have been many times when people from out of state have come to visit, and there are some huge differences across camps. The stereotype has held true everytime I've been privy to demonstrations from other folks' schools. Typically, Texas and Kentucky are pretty close, Tennessee is a little different from that, and the few times I've seen stuff from "out west" it's been quite a bit different. I understand that it is arguably "stylistic differences," but after a point, those differences change the form. You throw a kick into se meng tao lian for stylistic differences, and I'm gonna argue it's not quite the same form anymore.

EDIT:
    I will add however, that this stereotype is just that, and there are certainly times when they don't hold. In addition, there are times when I go back to texas and see people doing a form and I am just blown away by how much, uh, creative licenses have been taken. I've even had folks who don't know I've been around there a lot longer than they have ask me if I learned my material form another master! So, stereotypes are what they are because they hold true, MOST of the time. If they weren't stereotypes, we'd just call them truths.
    Last edited by ninthdrunk; 05-22-2006 at 12:10 PM.

Nope it is differences in teaching styles. The forms aren't different just portrayed with different focus.

How long you have studied plays a huge role in how the form looks. I agree with what JP said.

JP: The reason I brought it up is the stories I've heard of large differences (who does what wrong blah blah blah) it is shocking to see large similarities.
    I've seen some forms that were esentially the same and I've seen marked differences. I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to why. I'm glad that this form seems to be fairly universal, but even in my school I do it a little differently than my teachers.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-22-2006 at 12:19 PM.

I've seen some forms that were esentially the same and I've seen marked differences. I don't know if there's any rhyme or reason to why. I'm glad that this form seems to be fairly universal, but even in my school I do it a little differently than my teachers.
    Well they are much more stringent on the West. Not a dig at you more of a "rule with an iron hand" type of thing.

I know there are variations but to say a different form is wrong.

With in the West. Let me make that clear. I agree with what you are saying guys. Many of the differences are minor it is just strange when you are newer.
    Last edited by godzillakungfu; 05-22-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    I have to agree with lx here. There have been many times when people from out of state have come to visit, and there are some huge differences across camps. The stereotype has held true everytime I've been privy to demonstrations from other folks' schools. Typically, Texas and Kentucky are pretty close, Tennessee is a little different from that, and the few times I've seen stuff from "out west" it's been quite a bit different. I understand that it is arguably "stylistic differences," but after a point, those differences change the form. You throw a kick into se meng tao lian for stylistic differences, and I'm gonna argue it's not quite the same form anymore..
    Ha HA. You've seen that too I see.