View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 370 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 270320360368369370371372380420470870 ... LastLast
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Lukas is great he performing Quantum Mechanic equations and his little sister Madelyn is doing some Geometry pretty good for 2,5 years and 5 months KC
    QUantum Mechanic equations won't do him any good if he doesn't understand his Lorentz, Maxwell, Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, or even Calculus (such as Newtonian physics is vital to understanding how Quantum Theory interacts with the universe).

At 5 years of age, I wonder if perhaps you're cramming a little too much into his head. I guarantee he cannot understand what he's learning. People who study this for a living, and teach it, and write the books you read about it--even they don't understand it.

You're better off teaching him elementary biology. Quantum mechanics is far too abstruse to begin with. STart with the large things, then move on down the scale to the microscopic and subatomic.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Lukas is great he performing Quantum Mechanic equations and his little sister Madelyn is doing some Geometry pretty good for 2,5 years and 5 months KC
    That's not bad. Autumn is training for her first triathalon. We are also encouraging her to take that full ride to Juilliard to hone her opera skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

No more rice crispies I am out of rice crispies. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Wow!!

And I thought those of us who practiced SD got a lot of $h!T!! ( reference to USSD). How are all of you doing??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    And I thought those of us who practiced SD got a lot of $h!T!! ( reference to USSD). How are all of you doing??
    LOL. Go into a USSD regional meeting and they are talking Shiznit about you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    LOL. Go into a USSD regional meeting and they are talking Shiznit about you guys...
    Yep they say you guys are crap. That's not what I am saying. I saw you guys do some demos at a park once cool stuff.
    Your instructors were nice to. I was wearing my ussd GI at the time.

A suggestion

This is my first post on this forum and will likely run a little long, so please bear with me. If someone else has posted something like this before, please accept my apologies for the redundancy.

I stopped reading the forum about three years ago and just started browsing it again a few weeks ago. I've gotten a lot of good knowledge from the forum and have read some extremely interesting and entertaining posts. It's a valuable resource for anyone looking to broaden their MA knowledge base.

But after three years away, I'm amazed at the amount of time that's still spent talking about whose style is worth a sh!t and whose lineage is true or not.

The curious part about this to me, and the point of this post, is that so much of this type of discussion is clearly impossible to resolve. Nobody has the answers.

If you're arguing about whose style is effective, you can't tell that from internet discussions or videos of forms. I would argue it's also difficult to tell from videos of fights, as even in UFC or Pride I've seen fighters who I thought had no chance against their opponent based on previous bouts, who won convincing victories. The only way to tell is to meet, and even then all you can really tell is how good someone is compared to you ON THAT DAY.

And if you're arguing about lineage then you're on a long, lonely quest for THE TRUTH and best of luck to you in reaching the end of that path. Watch out for monsters.

One of the reasons I stopped reading the forums in the first place was that I just got tired of trying to find the good information hidden amongst all the accusations, innuendo, threats, and judgements. Which is sad because, again, I think there's some very good knowledge and some very knowledgeable people to be found here.

So I've got a suggestion:

How about a forum titled P!ss!ng Contests or something like that where anyone who wants to have those discussions can Internet-fight to their heart's content? And anytime a thread starts to degenerate into a flame war, it just gets sent to that forum? That way those of us who are not really interested in either p!ss!ing or in having to smell the p!ss of others can just enjoy the good aspects of the forum.

Just a little something to consider...

About me: I currently study Shaolin-Do under the Mullins family in Tennessee. I started out in an American karate school, moved to a traditional Okinawan Shorin-Ryu school under a student of Doug Perry of Hendersonville, NC and ran across Shaolin-Do accidentally when a new school was started at my gym. I started taking SD 'on the side' while still working on my karate, but eventually dropped the karate to focus full-time on SD. I've been in SD now about 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    How about a forum titled P!ss!ng Contests or something like that where anyone who wants to have those discussions can Internet-fight to their heart's content? And anytime a thread starts to degenerate into a flame war, it just gets sent to that forum? That way those of us who are not really interested in either p!ss!ing or in having to smell the p!ss of others can just enjoy the good aspects of the forum.
    Or we could just start a forum for whiners and move posts like this into it.

Okay...

Or we could just start a forum for whiners and move posts like this into it.
    So that's one vote for more sniping and bickering... anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    So that's one vote for more sniping and bickering... anyone else?
    Oo, me! me!

Seriously, though I like your suggestion, but I don't think it would be feasible, especially since 9 times out of 10 these threads lead to p!ssing contests anyway, and moving them about amongst the multiple forums would become a full time job. The only way a thread will not degenerate to cok swinging, is if the topic is so obscure that no one that isn't familiar with it can rightly form an opinion, much less bicker about why their's is better, and if those involved in the actual topic just ignore the asinine posts that slip in every now and just stay on topic.

Of course with a thread titled like this one 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?', what it actually says is 'p!$$ and moan here'.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

DPL, Check Your PM's

Hey DPL, check your private messages.

You know, I don't really remeber much of my SD mantis (1 form--only remember a couple movements), but this reminds me of it.

Don't know if it's a simlar form. Thought it was intresting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1sORstDpY

Wow Kung Pao what did you learn no mantis in SD even looks like that at all KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Pao View Post
    You know, I don't really remeber much of my SD mantis (1 form--only remember a couple movements), but this reminds me of it.

Don't know if it's a simlar form. Thought it was intresting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1sORstDpY
    Interesting video, it appears to be a soft style.

I agree KW. I noticed no similarities in the form either.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......