View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1302 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 302802120212521292130013011302130313041312 ... LastLast
Results 19,516 to 19,530 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

SD and Bawang ?

Ok so let me get this straight, You think its OK to learn / steal from You Tube but not from someone who may have learned from Vids or whatever? so Stealing is Ok as long as it fits your own definition of what is right or wrong.? Things that make you go Hummmmmmmm
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Ok so let me get this straight, You think its OK to learn / steal from You Tube but not from someone who may have learned from Vids or whatever? so Stealing is Ok as long as it fits your own definition of what is right or wrong.? Things that make you go Hummmmmmmm
    depends on how badly you want the real shaolin.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lern fram youtoob mang
    Ok so petty bickering aside, serious question time. In your opinions,what is the definitive "real shaolin" Only Song Shan? And yes I know this has been asked 1000 times, but I would like to hear your thoughts. If I do a search for "real kung fu" I find a lot of Jake Mace's vids. @_@

And that is great and all for forms, but I am not interested in that. I want application and fighting techniques/strategy. Given that criteria, what is real Shaolin? I know I can go to the gym and put in the work and eventually get it, but I believe this is where an instructor becomes necessity. Someone to watch and critique. YouTube never talks back to me no matter how much I yell at it.
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I disagree. Assuming that fake shaolin can be effective in self-defense (and SD is as many have said and those who have met me outside of the forum will concede) then I'd rather be able to protect myself then do the real stuff poorly and get hurt in a fight.

It's like comparing spam to a diseased cow. I'd rather eat good spam if those were my only two choices.
    SPAM is actually pork, btw. It's short for Shoulder Pork and Ham.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE View Post
    Ok so petty bickering aside, serious question time. In your opinions,what is the definitive "real shaolin" Only Song Shan?
    only song shan. FACT.
    And that is great and all for forms, but I am not interested in that. I want application and fighting techniques/strategy.
    now that you found out your forms were all worthless fakes, of course ur "not interested". it lessens the pain of being someones cash cow. sin the built a life of luxury and easy living from your faith, hope, dreams, and hard work.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-11-2013 at 09:52 AM.

There's nothing wrong with learning from youtube and books if you want.

There's something incredibly wrong with learning from books, then charging a lot of money at a seminar, claiming that its "Ancient Shaolin Tai Chi" or whatever, and then asking your students not to teach it to others without permission.

Since Sin The taught this way, it is very revealing of his own opinion of the stuff he learned in Indonesia.

Paz

We know GM The learned something in Indonesia, at one point his skill level exhibited that , whiles others will argue that point. So if what he learned the way he learned it is being taught , and he added to it , then What? So i feel he wanted to make money and increase what was offered. But I do know that there are more than one Monastary listed , so does that mean that the arts studied in the other temples isnt "real" Shaolin.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

But I do know that there are more than one Monastary listed , so does that mean that the arts studied in the other temples isnt "real" Shaolin.
    Well, yeah. By definition, Wudang is not Shaolin, Omei is not Shaolin, etc.

That's just common sense, bro.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Things that make you go Hummmmmmmm
    see, you can't even get THAT right. it's HMMMMMMMMMMMM not HUMMMMMMMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    now that you found out your forms were all worthless fakes, of course ur "not interested". it lessens the pain of being someones cash cow. sin the built a life of luxury and easy living from your faith, hope, dreams, and hard work.
    I would disagree that they are worthless but that's not the point. All forms have their purpose. For me it is a cardio workout and leg/transition training.

I was not interested in forms to begin with. Never have been in any of the styles I have trained in. Can you learn to fight from them, sure. But in my opinion the best way to learn is by doing. Not mimicking it.

But that still doesn't answer my question. Application and fighting wise, what is "real Shaolin"?
    Learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. For all life is precious nor can any be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Well, yeah. By definition, Wudang is not Shaolin, Omei is not Shaolin, etc.

That's just common sense, bro.
    I should have elaborated on that. Only material CREATED there, Not material that was brought in from the outside and practiced.

But that still doesn't answer my question. Application and fighting wise, what is "real Shaolin"?
    anything that's from song shan.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    SPAM is actually pork, btw. It's short for Shoulder Pork and Ham.
    Then the analogy is only more appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

But I do know that there are more than one Monastary listed , so does that mean that the arts studied in the other temples isnt "real" Shaolin.
    I should have elaborated on that. Only material CREATED there, Not material that was brought in from the outside and practiced.
    LOL. Is KC posting from two different accounts??