View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 797 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2976977477877957967977987998078478971297 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,955 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Not really just worse case senario let me know what you find out. KC
    I'll do that. I'm trying to get in next week.

He's not MKrii

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    No to the first question..MK verified this and a first year student of the Colorado school is meeting him today for a friendly sparing session. This how Cujo can prove his skill to everybody.
    BQ
    Yep, though he bears a striking resemblance to him, he's not. I really hope there's video of the meet up.

Red face

Hey Everyone,

Im back from my sparring match with Goju.

First off, Goju seemed like a nice guy and so did his Uncle who came to film.

We went straight to business and started pretty much right away.

I went one three minute round with him.

Hes definitely quick with his hands and feet, and has much better conditioning than me. By the end of the round I was pretty tired out and declined to go again ( i didnt want to tiredly drop my arms and get creamed )

He got in a nice kick to the side of my head that I really would not have liked if he had been kicking full force. I think he also may have gotten me with a shot to the mouth. (i was bleeding but no swelling 'shrug') well we will see from the video. He definitely had control over me with his hands most of the round.

I got in a couple short sweeps that I was unable to turn into anything, and I almost hit him with a spinning back fist but went too low and hit his shoulder. Overall I was pretty pleased with it. It was fun and I learned that if I really want to fight for an extended period of time I need to step up my conditioning.

Goju definitely has some skills, If we had been really fighting I'm sure I would have gotten creamed. But I will say that Ive definitely sparred CSC BBs who were on par with him or better. These are people who have had at least as much experience with MA and I can recall being handled, tricked, and hit with strong attacks just like today.

Goju is strong and fast and I think he probably could kick some ass on an amateur MMA circuit.

I look forward to sparring him again and next time I can bring some of my more experienced friends.

Hopefully the video will be posted soon and you gentlemen can make your own conclusions, but coming from me; Goju is no slouch hes definitely got some MA skill.

~Facepalm~

Hey facepalm what did you say your experience in MA was I cant remember? I just want to put the video in perspective. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

As of this month I have 1 year of experience at CSC's in Colorado, mostly learning from master David and master Sharon. In high school I wrestled for like 2 years ( I wasnt that great).

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Hes definitely quick with his hands and feet, and has much better conditioning than me. By the end of the round I was pretty tired out and declined to go again ( i didnt want to tiredly drop my arms and get creamed )

He got in a nice kick to the side of my head that I really would not have liked if he had been kicking full force. I think he also may have gotten me with a shot to the mouth. (i was bleeding but no swelling 'shrug') well we will see from the video. He definitely had control over me with his hands most of the round.

I got in a couple short sweeps that I was unable to turn into anything, and I almost hit him with a spinning back fist but went too low and hit his shoulder. Overall I was pretty pleased with it. It was fun and I learned that if I really want to fight for an extended period of time I need to step up my conditioning.

Goju definitely has some skills, If we had been really fighting I'm sure I would have gotten creamed. But I will say that Ive definitely sparred CSC BBs who were on par with him or better. These are people who have had at least as much experience with MA and I can recall being handled, tricked, and hit with strong attacks just like today.

Goju is strong and fast and I think he probably could kick some ass on an amateur MMA circuit.

I look forward to sparring him again and next time I can bring some of my more experienced friends.

Hopefully the video will be posted soon and you gentlemen can make your own conclusions, but coming from me; Goju is no slouch hes definitely got some MA skill.

~Facepalm~
    Glad it went well and glad Cujo was straight up...sounds like a good experience for both of you.....but we will wait to see his response to your post and how he presents his video.
    BQ

Kudos

Hey Everyone,

~Facepalm~
    Hey FP,

Kudos for getting out there and also to Goju for being a gentlman. While BQ is right that we'll have to see how he relates the story, this seems like the most gentlemanly internet challenge match I'm aware of. Thanks for being willing to go and to share.

Go Ju may get more cordial and enlightening Sparring maches if he didnt come across as he did. I for one love a good hard sparring match and dont mind trying new things. I know I am just an old wannabe but even old wannabe's have a few tricks up their sleeves. KC

I will add to my last post that Goju seems better than like 80% of people who Ive sparred at the CSC so far.

There are definitely people with about his amount of experience that seemed as challenging as him.

There are some who were better particularly several masters who Ive sparred. I can remember being knocked to the ground with no idea how it happened from some of these guys.

But yea. again Goju def has skills

I received a text to my e-mail from goju saying his computer crashed so it may be a while before we get his perspective on your match. Let's hope he speaks with levity and respect and not crowing about how he dominated the match and that's more proof that SD stinkes etc.

Huge props for you to show up and meet someone for a friendly match. That takes a lot of spirit, but that's really what being a martial artist is about. Your teachers should be very proud of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Good job FP!!!

I will add to my last post that Goju seems better than like 80% of people who Ive sparred at the CSC so far.

There are definitely people with about his amount of experience that seemed as challenging as him.

There are some who were better particularly several masters who Ive sparred. I can remember being knocked to the ground with no idea how it happened from some of these guys.

But yea. again Goju def has skills
    You said that you are one year in , what rank have you acheived and did you have any previous MA experience??

80%?? WOW!!!

Various levels or lower and upper belts???

Besides being in better condition, was there a big difference in his body composition and yours?? i.e. Height, weight, lean muscle mass, etc??

How do you feel about your level of performance considering the differences ??i.e. time training , conditioning, etc.

Do you think that if you had more time in, better conditioning, previous experience , etc. that it could have gone differently???

Do you think it had anything to do with the arts themselves ?? i.e. SD vs GOJU RYU??

How do you feel about the art now that you have sparred someone outside your school???

Are you going to get more disciplined and stick with it ??

I admire what you have done, for standing up, stepping up and being a man.

Everyone should be as willing to take one for the team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    You said that you are one year in , what rank have you acheived and did you have any previous MA experience??

Well since it is run by the Soards and belts are easy to attain at first I am a 1st Brown which means ill have my BB by the end of the summer

I try to look at it this way. The Soards want to make their material available to people with little ability and discipline because thats how they pay the rent ( albeit quite luxurious rent in sure) but there is plenty of room in their program for people like me who do want to learn and who do want to get strong

A BB from them only means that your a serious student now, and you have access to more training i.e Iron Bone, weight vest conditioning, outdoor conditioning sessions, more advanced weapon training, full contact glove sparring, Mantis etc...

No I have no previous MA training

80%?? WOW!!!

Various levels or lower and upper belts???

I was trying to be as honest as I can with this.

From all of the people Ive sparred at the CSCs which is quite alot of people ( Id estimate probably 70-80 people so far, given sparring in class at two different schools for 6 months each and attending two different sparring festivals) I feel that this was a challenge at least near 80%

The kind of people who have been close to as difficult would be a few second and first blacks

Ive met some Third and above who've been more challenging

So far no one of master level has disappointed me yet, they get me falling on the ground from my own momentum and hardly seem to have to move to foil my attacks

Besides being in better condition, was there a big difference in his body composition and yours?? i.e. Height, weight, lean muscle mass, etc??

He was a little taller than me 1 or 2 inches

He definitely was heavier than me as far as muscle mass. I would have estimated he was about 190-200 lbs

How do you feel about your level of performance considering the differences ??i.e. time training , conditioning, etc.

I felt pretty good about it...

I would say that for the most part I defended myself competently.

He definitely won the match...
    Id say I really need to get either faster or smarter in order to do better against him

Do you think that if you had more time in, better conditioning, previous experience , etc. that it could have gone differently???

Maybe if I had fought in more competitive fights before more often.

Sparring at CSC is definitely for training and your not worrying about winning or losing ( I like that)

But of course thats no excuse.

Do you think it had anything to do with the arts themselves ?? i.e. SD vs GOJU RYU??

I couldn't really say

I saw lots of attacks from him alot of which were effective but not anything that I had never seen from SD.

He has a variety of attacks and combos just like you would try to do with the material in SD.

In my opinion its the kung fu that counts anyway

How do you feel about the art now that you have sparred someone outside your school???

This isnt the first time Ive sparred someone outside of my school and it wont be the last.

I really like the material from SD.... Its challenging and Interesting, and the forms really get me to think and understand movement really well. Also I cant imagine a place where one could seek to learn such a wide variety of weapons.

I find that the forms really get me to move in ways im not used to and condition my body in the ways their intended to.

Also they all contain so much application that it gets me thinking more when I spar people. I think learning a variety of forms and trying to figure out applications from them gets you finding your own applications to situations you encounter when sparring.

Are you going to get more disciplined and stick with it ??

You betcha

I admire what you have done, for standing up, stepping up and being a man.

Everyone should be as willing to take one for the team!!!
    Thanks,
    Its the least I could do

God I want to see this video so bad

The video

Should be interesting to see.

I dont think we will see it KC