View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 98 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4888969798991001081481985981098 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Well, of course, Golden Tiger misunderstood (or chose to misunderstand) my last post. Interestingly, so did TWS. I thought I put it pretty simply, but maybe not. Let's see if I can simplify a bit further.

1) Just because it's not H-I doesn't mean it isn't effective. Many arts are not H-I, but are still effective.

2) Just because it's not H-I doesn't mean it's not a valid art in it's own way. Many arts are not H-I, but that doesn't mean they are not valid.

However,
    3) Just because it uses gross physical movements that are similar to those used in H-I doesn't make it H-I. Karate has movements similar to all the 5 elements of Hsing-I, but they still look like karate when they're being done. The so-called "Hsing-I" done by SD looks like a karateka trying to imitate Hsing-I.

In Hsing-I, the gross physical movements (techniques) are simply the framework through which the specific method of body movement in H-I (the ESSENCE of Hsing-I) is expressed.

I don't know if I can simplify it any further for you than that.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Their sparring in competition is basically karate continuous point sparring (like Master Killer said). Much more restrictive than San Shou/San Da, Muay Thai, Kuoshu San Shou, the various "NHB" groups, western kickboxing, etc. So yeah, more restrictive than the many full contact venues out there. BTW, I should have said "your grandmaster" instead of "your teacher" in my original statement. I've got no idea who this guys actual teacher is.

Also, if anyone wants to insult me personally, or has something else personal to say to me please pm or email me because I'm not going to be able to be on here every single day answering posts directed specifically at me I doubt it will be too much of a problem, but just thought I'd give a heads up

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller

Here is something to ease your irritation.
    MK, I'd doubt that it would make you go away! joking
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Their sparring in competition is basically karate continuous point sparring (like Master Killer said). Much more restrictive than San Shou/San Da, Muay Thai, Kuoshu San Shou, the various "NHB" groups, western kickboxing, etc. So yeah, more restrictive than the many full contact venues out there.
    First of all, most SD tournaments have point and non-stop divisions. In both divisions groil, down the spine and across the kidneys is legal, light contact to the back of the head. I've seen elbows used and called as points because it was considered effective technique, although there was almost no contact, otherwise he'd have been DQ'd. So long as your not kicking them in the knees, joint locking or biting them it's probably legal. Granted your not going to get points for quad and calf shots. The non-stop divisions can get pretty rough and it's very aggressive. While the full contact element isn't there, it's not point sparring either.

There are very few people in SD that train to fight full contact semi-amatuer type events. Most people are families, mothers and fathers with kids. It's just not that element so the point sparring format works well for people that aren't looking to get in over their head. However, the "restrictive" rules statement isn't really fair. I know alot of San Da events, etc that don't allow contact to areas we do.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

I'm sure JP would prefer that you not insult his intelligence. You think that you have earned some sort of prestige or position because you think you know more than others here. You think you can talk down to others, especially if they study a martial system that you had a bad experience with. What rank were you when you left SD?

First of all i am not insulting Jp's intelligence. i am asking him if he knows about these training methods specific to Hsing i and that if he has been taught these things at Sd then great,,,,he has yet to reply to my questions anyway so i think it is a little presumptious on your part Dragonflydaoist to speak for him. Plus my questions to JP which he may or may not know the answers to are not to talk down to him but rather to let him know that there is more to that system than just what forms are taught.

I have earned no prestige here on the forums and i certainly do not know more than most here who practice and study in a legitamate and valid CMA. Thank the stars that i do know what i know. But as for really revealing to you what it is that i know,,well,,quite frankly its none of your buisness.

you know you remind me a little bit of myself when i was a dedicated and loyal SD follower. defending the school here on the forums,,naive to the reality that most of us here are privy to.
    and for your information i spent nearly 8 years at sd and attained 2nd degree black belt ranking there. so if anyone here knows about SD and what it teaches(and what it does not), aside from the others here who are still with SD, I DO.

what rank are you dragonflydaoist?

Peace,,TWS.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie
    1. Shaolin-Do obviously produces better people. It has been proven here.

A SD instructor in Texas was recently charged with molesting a younger female student of his. Martial arts are for fighting. People may or may not be be better off because of them. It's a dumb idea to ignore human nature.
    i was told he was kicked out of the system by Master Joe way before he was charged. they were actually in some sort of a relationship, dating,... he told the girls parents regarding there relationship.

they were actually in some sort of a relationship, dating,... he told the girls parents regarding there relationship

Well that was smart. a 27 year old man telling a 15 year old girls parents that they are in a relationship Now he got posted on the local news here with warrents for his arrest,,fuked his carreer at SD,,and is now on his way back to the phillipines or wherever.

Joe sure does know how to choose em dont he?

hehe sorry that was a below the belt shot. excuse me please

Peace,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword
    Well that was smart. a 27 year old man telling a 15 year old girls parents that they are in a relationship Now he got posted on the local news here with warrents for his arrest,,fuked his carreer at SD,,and is now on his way back to the phillipines or wherever.

Joe sure does know how to choose em dont he?

hehe sorry that was a below the belt shot. excuse me please
    He sure does .. he chose you at one time. There's a below the belt shot right back at ya.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

He sure does .. he chose you at one time. There's a below the belt shot right back at ya
    well........at least i am not a pederast. oh and i wasnt "chosen" for anything there,,i was "used". there is a difference.

Peace,,TWS

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    So yes, this thread is pretty pointless and a waste of most of our time... but I'm sure plenty of us will be back here tommorrow It's entertaining in a Jerry Springer kind of way, lol.
    The most insightful thing said on this thread so far. It's excruiatingly obivous that no one here is going to change anyone else's mind. Yet we can't look away, sorta like a train wreck that no one can look away from.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword

oh and i wasnt "chosen" for anything there,,i was "used". there is a difference.

TWS

Sorrrry, that was below the belt
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    The most insightful thing said on this thread so far. It's excruiatingly obivous that no one here is going to change anyone else's mind. Yet we can't look away, sorta like a train wreck that no one can look away from.
    Long my man, you speak the truth.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

First off...you guys need to get out at enjoy the weekend a little more. Second, howdy Ralphie, I was wondering where you were lurking.

Now, on to the show......

Quote Originally Posted by TWS
    well........at least i am not a pederast. oh and i wasnt "chosen" for anything there,,i was "used". there is a difference.
    If you are going to use big words Willow, use them right. A pederast is a man/boy thing(Even I had to look it up). As far as I know, the incident you so kindly are refering to was man/girl. You must have overheard it at the last NAMBLA meeting or something..anyhooo.......

As for the deadly sparring matches. As someone pointed out, most of the competitors are not in it for blood. Like myself, they are people that have a family to support and not hard core fighters. Plus, the rules on contact have been restricted more and more over the years because a lot of people just didn't want to risk a payday for a trophy. Thats just the way some silly people are. They like the competition and thats about it.

As for this thread being useless, I disagree. Because of it, I have got to know quiet a few of you, get to have an outlet for the daily frustrations and get to make fun of people like TWS. IMO, this thread rocks!!!!
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Hey thanks for the correction GT " At least i am not a Pedophile". there all better now.

as for you making fun of me,,,hey man keep it up,,it still doesnt change things really. refer back to post #845 page 57 to reread what i mean GT.

anyway,,,back to work.......ta taaa kids it has been fun re-living this whole nightmare. and yet again we have all proven that in these forums the SD threads are the MOST POPULAR,,just look at the # of posts and the # of views by people.

hahaha Gene you must be rolling your eyes and clenching your stress ball

Peace,,,TWS

Hey thanks for the correction GT
    No problem, just doing my job.

as for you making fun of me,,,hey man keep it up,,it still doesnt change things really. refer back to post #845 page 57 to reread what i mean GT.
    Wish you had posted a like. But I did what you requested.....

yet again we have all proven that in these forums the SD threads are the MOST POPULAR,,just look at the # of posts and the # of views by people.

All in good fun...

Hey JP, did you get that rope dart file?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......