View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 144 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 44941341421431441451461541942446441144 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Yeah, Even though I kept going after that Im sure it had alot to do with my performace after it. My bruises from it are gone but it still hurts. Heh heh.

I got to make myself throw punches and block better.

I know enough about grappling to know that I should stick to my feet and keep striking. I practice take-down defense etc., but someone who really knows their stuff could mess me up on the ground. There was once that you were on the ground and he was on his feet and he voluntarily went to the ground with you. I would have waited for you to get up, but that's only because my ground-game is average at best.

He seemed pretty balanced, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    but someone who really knows their stuff could mess me up on the ground.
    This is a common misconception.

The truth is, someone who knows a little ground fighting will mess up someone who knows next to nothing about ground fighting.

Mostly because the guy who never trains for it will exhaust himself on the ground trying to fight his way back to his feet.

That being said, that fight should have been over in about 1 minute if the SD guy had any submission training. He had position on Joe almost the whole fight, but lacked the tools to tap him.

Good show, though. Congrats to both guys.

Joe, you need to work on your half-guard :-P
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-17-2006 at 06:29 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    The truth is, someone who knows a little ground fighting will mess up someone who knows next to nothing about ground fighting.
    You know, you're right. I trained with some ground guys for a while and they owned me for the first month or so. Eventually I got to where I could relax and not get winded or submitted and wait for my opportunity to get back up, but I never could submit any of them. I trained with them until Iwent back to school, and I haven't trained with any ground peeps since.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I agree completly he had me in a good position to end it fairly quickly. I would have loved to have switched with him ha ha. He had me in my two worst positions. I could have done more but he was very very strong.

Ok Jp so far I have seen some wresteling clips but where is the info on Shaolin do, you know video footage that we discussed. Just a friendly reminder

greencloud.com

Quote Originally Posted by JjJoe
    I dont want to cause him any trouble because I know this type of thing is frowned upon by most of the Shaolin-Do higher ups.

We.....er.....they know about this gentleman and have no problem at all. Heck, I would even be willing to bet that a few would offer to help him train if he needed it.

I dont know if he is still training because I think the guy who was teaching Shaolin-Do in Hazard still is not doing so anymore.
    The teacher is still teaching there as far as I know and was the one telling us about the student. He was quiet proud of the guy in fact for getting out there and mixing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by green cloud
    Ok Jp so far I have seen some wresteling clips but where is the info on Shaolin do, you know video footage that we discussed.
    I am going to work on that for you green. Looking at some old stuff I have to post. JP, if something is done at a public demonstration, its becomes public domain....correct?
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    I am going to work on that for you green. Looking at some old stuff I have to post. JP, if something is done at a public demonstration, its becomes public domain....correct?

yeppers... mostly if it's your private collection & you're not infringing on any standing copyrights... you should be good to go

JP will have a better definition than me but I believe that's the nuts & bolts of it
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Ok Jp so far I have seen some wresteling clips but where is the info on Shaolin do, you know video footage that we discussed. Just a friendly reminder

greencloud.com
    Yeah, I know. If it wasnt' for work, I would not have any computer time. I have the vid on a dvd....I just need to figure out how to put it on youtube. I tried opening an accout, but I haven't followed up to see if it works. I'll try this weekend.

GT, I think Sean hit it on the head. I really don't know much about intellectual property, really, but if its in public then you can tape it and show to others. You can't make money off of it, though, without permission of the person depicted.

GC, the wrestling clip showed that Sd people are at least as competent as the next art to train people to fight. Really, thought, doesn't it come back to the individual more.

With regards to IP, it's definately better to be safe than to be sorry. Especially if one of these days said person is in a position to punch you in the face. Not necessarily because you might be legally liable, but more in the name of good relations with your classmates. The chances of you getting sued are really quite low though. Unless you show a vid of someone doing a kata then their pants fall down. Send that stuff to America's Funniest Home Videos!

Thanks for the info.

And I am not even sure who the guy was or what school he is from. He was good at some of the Hua forms and I have him doing them at a demo (circa 1990 ish). But again, I am reluctant to post anything because I know it will be ripped, good or not. What to do...what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    Thanks for the info.

And I am not even sure who the guy was or what school he is from. He was good at some of the Hua forms and I have him doing them at a demo (circa 1990 ish). But again, I am reluctant to post anything because I know it will be ripped, good or not. What to do...what to do...
    I'd lean towards no. I'd be weirded out/upset if some demo I did from 15 years ago (when I was 11?) suddenly popped up on the 'net without me knowing about it. He might have left SD but that's not the point....

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    I'd lean towards no. I'd be weirded out/upset if some demo I did from 15 years ago (when I was 11?) suddenly popped up on the 'net without me knowing about it. He might have left SD but that's not the point....
    I tend to agree. I would only post myself or another person with that person's permission. I'm not the best represntation of our art, but if I post myself I know I have thick skin and I can critque my own performance and how I should have done it (but for this limitation or this mistake etc).

Asheville Shaolin-Do

Hey,

We had a guy in class last night from the school in Asheville.

He's a Brown Belt named Chris and he seemed to have a lot of fun.

We certainly do some things differently, and it was interesting to compare.

Anyway he's a friendly guy and a pretty good fighter, so we were glad to have him.

I'll have to head up there one of these days.
    Words!

Just words!

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    I'd lean towards no.
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I tend to agree.
    Well there you go. The voice of reason wins out. A shame though....figured you all would have wanted to see M. Mullins back when he had hair and M. Shaefer when he was just a youngin....