View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 146 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 46961361441451461471481561962466461146 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool
    hi green cloud,

live and let live!

you say you are great at kung fu ??? 35 years is a long time. almost as long as i have been alive :-). is this how long you have trained green cloud?

why do you question what "we" do?

what info do you want?

why do you use english and chinese terminoligy on green cloud.net? i mean thats just silly it is a chinese art all mention of it should only be in chinese right.

if you call it a kata, a set, a form, a blah bleeping blahzblopgfrgh set of movments who cares? does the way the name is expressed change the actual art?

what is the lineage of the "tai chi" you teach? is it a martial art or health art?

tell me about the black belt club at green cloud?

how many total forms does your system have?

can your students do applications from these form on a non willing person?

tell us about the green cloud monestary and its history. several hundered years there must be lots of documentation.

interesting system you have here. Chan Tai-San, who was his teacher and his teachers teacher? where did his teachers etc. learn there art?

what proof do you have?

there are so many questions left unanswered on your web sites about your history and your art ... why?

your grandmaster was by many accounts a very skilled martial artist, but can you prove the history of his art and his teachers and their teachers etc ???

my point is not to talk sh*t about your art (i know very little about you or it).
    i just want to point out that anyones history is not totally provable. but if yours is please do prove it.

<<
    Green Cloud
    I am my teachers student
    What's your MA style?:
    Green Cloud Kung Fu
    How long have you trained?:
    35 years
    Biography:
    I'm great at kung fu
    Interests:
    Kung Fu
    Kung Fu>>
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    << Our Programs

_. Little Ninjas: Course for Children Ages 4 to 7.
    _. We build children's coordination, focus, balance, and self-esteem.
    _. Juniors/Dragons: Introduction of Green Cloud Martial Arts
    _. Course for ages 7 to 15.
    _. Provides a reward system to improve children's self-esteem.
    _. Teaches children discipline.
    _. Channels children's aggression.
    _. Teaches children essential self-defense skills.
    _. Black Belt Club: More advanced Kung-Fu
    _. Adult Kung-Fu: Traditional Chinese Kung-Fu program for ages 16 and up.
    _. Cardio Kickboxing: Burn fat, increase metabolism, and create greater endurance.
    _. Tai Chi: Provides internal health benefits for the body.
    Krav Maga: Fighting system of the Israeli Defense Forces.

_. Northern Siu-Lum Pai
    _. Bak-Mei
    _. Dai Sing Pek Gwa (Great Sage Monkey System)
    _. Sit Gaut
    _. San Shou
    _. Southern Eagle Claw
    _. Northern Eagle Claw
    _. Iron Palm
    _. Chi Gung - Hei Gung
    _. Chin Na
    _. Pankration
    _. Nanchuan
    _. Jiu Jia Quan (Drunken Boxing)
    _. Nok Fei Pai
    Mok Ga

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Come to Green Cloud Kung Fu where we can teach you Kung-Fu, kickboxing, and the martial arts weapons. Green Cloud has been around for several hundreds of years in Toisan China, producing many famous scholars, doctors, and Kung-Fu teachers, such as the famed Grandmaster Chan Tai-San, who is considered to be the foremost authority on Chinese Martial arts today. The revered master adopted a young American boy and passed down his lineage to the man we now call Sifu Kaparos. Sifu Kaparos has achieved Master ranking in this system and also holds 10 black belts in other systems of martial arts. The winner of several national titles and the feature of numerous national publications, Sifu Kaparos has been nominated to the Kung-Fu Hall of Fame. Sifu Kaparos is the head of Green Cloud in the U.S.
    Our mission is to foster self-improvement and personal development through focused training. We promote physical fitness and positive social interaction in a courteous and fun atmosphere. Our greatest responsibility is to instill in our students a sense of discipline and a code of ethics to inspire them to lead exemplary lives as leaders in the community.
    Our school offers a comprehensive training program in several styles of Kung-Fu and Weapons, and also Kickboxing and Beyond Personal Training. For more specific information about the Green Cloud Kung Fu Academy, please visit About Us or just contact us.
    Although we honor Martial Arts traditions that go back centuries, we are dynamic and are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to enthuse and excite our students.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>>

best,

b

Dude all you had to do is click the linkgreencloud.net There is actualy tons of info on the style my master and what not, infact there is tons of info on the forum about Chan Tai San and his teachers.

You can also go to lama.org or just click the link on my site.

Any way I'm not sure why you are so touchy, I just asked why it is that Shaoilin Do uses Japanese terminoligy.

Anyhoo I get the feeling by your attitude that people are not supposed to inquire about your style. Hmmm sounds like you got something to hide that's all.

GC

I don't think he intended to sound touchy or to imply that questions are not welcome...

It's just that the same questions get asked and the same accusations made so many times it can get repetitive.

For instance your question about the japanese terminology has been answered and debated on this very thread numerous times, despite the fact that it is answered on the history page of the main shaolin-do website and many others.

the answer is that it came to america through indonesia where (as the story goes) it was superficially hidden as a japanese style in order to dissuade a certain cultural bias present there.

It would be very easy to ask why you teach various non-chinese martial arts at your school or why you have a program called "little ninjas" (ninja is a japanese term, right?) but I am not accusing you of anything and I understand that this is just your way.

If you are realy interested in the history of shaolin-do a websearch will bring up quite a lot of information, and quite a lot of the sort of attacks that shaolin-do has been the victim of for quite some time.

as for your question on the "flying tiger" it is a very short introductory form that beginners learn as one of their first "animal styles". It involvles lots of tiger claw palm strikes and rakes, as well as arm locks and traps in a quite compact little set of moves.

all questions are welcome, but please do make an effort to answer the easy ones yourself with the online F.A.Q.s and Histories etc.

Thanks
    Words!

Just words!

Knowledge Is Power

Read, learn, turn off computer, go practice your chosen art, be happy.

http://www.zhenwei.org/History/HistoryMartialArts.htm

BTW...Yes, Shaolin Do is for real, at least as real as any other MA practiced today.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 05-19-2006 at 01:41 PM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Dude all you had to do is click the linkgreencloud.net There is actualy tons of info on the style my master and what not, infact there is tons of info on the forum about Chan Tai San and his teachers.

You can also go to lama.org or just click the link on my site.

Any way I'm not sure why you are so touchy, I just asked why it is that Shaoilin Do uses Japanese terminoligy.

Anyhoo I get the feeling by your attitude that people are not supposed to inquire about your style. Hmmm sounds like you got something to hide that's all.
    hi there green cloud ...

there is nothing to hide. inquire all you want just ask some new questions i have been following this shaolin do internet thing since the mid 90's and it is always the same questions.

asking what flying tiger comes out of the cave is was a good and interesting question.

you and others seem to have such a disdane for shaolin do so i am just asking the same type of questions about your system that we always get asked but you will not answer or will you maybe you have things to hide ...

why did you not answer any of my questions about your art? most of the questions i asked were not answered on your web site. and as far as the ones that were answered by your and related websites were all affiliated in some way to chan tai san and offerd no historical proof. do you have somthing to hide?

i have no problem with what you or any other martial arts group does or how they practice and what they think. in your art just like in shaolin do some students are i am sure very skilled and some are well ya know not so skilled.

i am really interested in the history and legends of martial arts.

below are a few more things that caught my eye from your web sites ... ???

<<Sifu Gus Kaparos
    Sifu Gus Kaparos began his training at the age of 6 and is a direct disciple of Grandmaster Chan Tai San. He has instructor level ranking in over 10 styles of martial arts. It was this diverse background that allowed him to be a top student of the grandmaster. This 2 time full contact fighting champion met Si-Gung in the late 1980's. He began his training with Si-Gung and was indescribably impressed by this great teacher, "I am and forever will be in awe of the most talented and knowledgeable Kung-Fu Master I have come to know. It is his incredible Kung-Fu that made me the man I am today." Si-Gung Chan Tai San adopted Sifu Kaparos in a ceremony called a Bai Sei, that meant the door of knowledge would be opened and shared with him. It was the Grandmaster's dream for Sifu Kaparos to share his unique form of Kung-Fu to the students of Green Cloud Kung-Fu. Sifu Kaparos is a pioneer; he opened the first Kung-Fu school to teach openly to the public on Long Island, as well as hosting the first all Kung-Fu tournament in New York. He also was awarded the prestigious "Master of the Year" Award by the International Kung-Fu Association, which also inducted him into their Hall of Fame. Sifu Kaparos has been the feature of numerous magazine articles and television news stories.

Some of these students became instructors. One of these instructors is Sifu Ivan Pellei.>>

10 black belts wow! thats alot. it says started training at age 6, what training was that? what are these black belts in? i thought it took at least 5 years of hard work to earn a black belt. that like 50 years of training before he even met his grandmaster he must be old ...also says did not start training until the "late 1980's" with your grandmaster was it 1989?

<<Grandmaster Chan trained with histories most famous Sifu, and used his Kung-Fu for its intended purpose - Self Preservation. Yes, he actually fought with and killed several people. I say this not to impress you, but to impress upon you that Grandmaster Chan was the last of his generation. The styles he used, the skills he developed, really work. He didn't train to open a school, to earn an income or to be famous. He trained to live.>>

most famous in whos book? do you have proof that he killed several people? or were these people he killed while in the military in ww2 fighting japan?
    "he did not train to open a school" maybe ... but it seems many of his students have commercial schools that are making good money. (nothing wrong with making money doing somthing you love though)

<<chan tai san became a Master of dozens of Kung-Fu styles and literally every know Chinese Kung-Fu Weapon, Iron Palm, Iron Body and Internal Energy (Chi). He was well respected in China for his Staff technique and was famous for his "Jao-Gung" or Iron-Claw Skill. He has devoted his entire life to training and promoting Chinese Martial Arts in China and abroad. Grandmaster Chan was the coach of the Canton Province Martial Arts Demonstration Team from 1980-1982,>>

he mastered evvvvvery weapon, ironpalm,iron body, internal energy ???? he mastered so many things! prove it??? if he was famous for these things where are the historical documents to back it up.

<<Atatuojin Ah Da Ta
    Founder for the style
    1st Generation
    (2nd-10th Generation master will be added shortly)

Sing Lung (Lo Jeung)
    Venerable Monk
    (Responsible for bringing Lama Pai Kung-Fu to China)>>

is there any documentation of these people and there skills outside of their circle of peers? if not they must be fake right. i mean the only things i can find on the internet about them are from affiliated groups. sounds fishy to me ...

best,

b

p.s.

humor is good.

Ok Shaolin DO is cool, Hmm let's see I politely asked [SIZE="4"]two questions
    [SIZE="1"]you asked me 50 I don't realy know where to begin, none the less at least I was polite.

I don't like to blow my own horn but I am a senior disciple under the late sifu Chan Tai San.

This is common knowledge both on the forum and the entire CMA comunity. I am one of the first to pioneer CMA to long Island.

I realy don't know what you are upset about, I have never herd of Shaolin Do and decided to ask some questions so I can establish an informed opinion.

As far as having hang ups about how people percieve SD, I wasn't aware that SD had a bad Image, but know I see why.

As far as answering all your questions do your own fokin researce, if you don't know who I am maybe your not a real CMS.

Remember courtesy is contagious but so is roodness.

greencloud.net

Quote Originally Posted by Green Clod

I don't like to blow my own horn but, if you don't know who I am maybe your not a real CMS.

LOL!

Remember courtesy is contagious but so is roodness.
    But not literacy.

.............................LOL!

Crushing Fist first you SDIC didn't mean to be touchy but then read the next post this boy is about to open up a can of woop ass. You people are just to funny

Can you say put on these blinders than sighn right here please

its alway the "other guy" who has blinders on, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Clod
    Can you say put on these blinders than sighn right here please

..............................LOL

It's is bull **** stuff like this that gives CMA a bad name. Me " hey guys why Don't you guys compete in CMA " SD " no our tech. are too deadly for competisions. SHH don't ask too many questions because our stuff is too leathal to talk about in public.

Make fun of my spelling all you want unkokusai but ya got to admit it's guys like this that make CMA look culty and stupid.

Common what's the secret, what is it does your lineage date back to the conception of Star Wars. Did SD students have a revelation when they saw Chubaka. Did you all drop to your knees and chant god bless the chosen one.

unkokusai You just jumped to southern forum to stalk me that's spooky.

Listen dude the moma joke were funny I was just playan wit ya bud. You were just at the right place at the wrong time.

My spelling stalker.

At this rate with you following me around and helping me with my spelling, I am liable to win a spelling bee.

Thanks Max, that does clear thing up for me. As I said before They are Comercial Kempo. It's obvious to me know. There are more of them than us but yet they have no pictures no video just a lot of secrecy.

As far as the whole Tourney thing it makes sense. Most franchise schools hold their own tourneys to keep student's from competing in real tornaments. That would be bad for buiss.

Thanks Max, that does clear thing up for me. As I said before They are Comercial Kempo. It's obvious to me know. There are more of them than us but yet they have no pictures no video just a lot of secrecy.

As far as the whole Tourney thing it makes sense. Most franchise schools hold their own tourneys to keep student's from competing in real tornaments. That would be bad for buiss.
    hi green cloud,

please define a "can of whoop ass" ??? please dont open one up if it is what i think it is ... lol ... as far as the whoop ass thing after your 35 years of training you can probably whoop my ass. there are alot of people on this earth who can ...

i really dont think you get the point of my questions to you. i just used you and your system as an example ...
    you gave exactly the kind of response i thought you would. you got mad, thought i was disrespecting you etc ... and then you started to insult. i knew you would.

i have heard this same kind of response from sd people ... people are funny!

side note: sin kwang the started teaching in kentucky in the mid 1960's not it the 70's or 80's as stated a few post back. sin the is chinese from indonesia. as stated all over sd websites.

the reason for my long list of stupid questions for you is to make a simple point that your ego seems to not let you hear. i mean no disrespect to you or your teachers with these questions. i am just asking you to prove the history of your art. how can you prove it. will seeing information on some website offer proof? is talking to somone who studies under the same history proof? what is proof?

<<As I said before They are Comercial Kempo>>

i have heard you offer disrespect to shaolin do before i posted my questions to you. for the record the only things i can find on the internet about your styles history is from other schools who study from the same "base" as you.

you have asked more than 2 questions but it is more your statements than your questions i am trying to respond to.

why is it important to "compete" at these stupid cma things? i have never been in one but i have been to a few. i think they are worthless.

as far as shaolin do "being to deadly for competition" you can take the original quote out of context if you like. who cares ...
    i train to be healthy and to learn/know how to fight/not get into fights and oh yeah it's fun, not for some stupid competition. the only person to compete with is your self in my opinion.

<<I don't like to blow my own horn but I am a senior disciple under the late sifu Chan Tai San.
    This is common knowledge both on the forum and the entire CMA comunity. I am one of the first to pioneer CMA to long Island.>>

cult???

is being one of the first to long island why you offer the little ninja's program and cardio kickboxing?

i am a junior student under a student of grandmaster the ... it is common knowledge on my block. (i am a funny guy!)

if there are any secrets in our art i have not been let in on them. every sd school i know of anyone can watch classes ... there are also several sd clips on the net some good some bad ... just use google (the modern day orical, you dont have to climb the mountain anymore and you get more than one question ... lol)

you forgot to answer my question about all 10 of your black belts.

best,

b

p.s. now i know why i never posted before. it takes to much time. i gotta get up early in the morning to practice ...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwang
    Green Cloud, I can give you a bit more info on these folks. SD is a money maker started @ 70's or 80's after the Bruce Lee craze similar to other non-Chinese arts possing as Chinese.
    Nope, it started late sixties.

Very similar to Chung Moo Do.
    I'm sorry, but CMD is a cult. SD is not.

It is a system put together by some guy (from Indonesia) who collected a bunch of forms and put together some self defense and marketed it in America to make money, like your Fred Villari's or Chung Moo Do.
    They are both from Indonesia, yes. They both have a bunch of forms, yes. Nothing wrong with making money. Green Clound, do you teach for free?

They sprout schools like rabbits mating and charge for everything under the sun.
    One of the things about SD that I like and don't like is that they do encourage you to teach after you reach a certain level. Most of these schools are small schools that don't pay rent. My first schools was in a high school gym one day a week. I paid $20 bucks a month. My current school is in the fellowship hall of a Babptist Church. I pay $40 buck a month. Hardly a money maker! I don't have to buy my uniform from them; I don't buy my weapons from them. We occassionally do seminars; some I take and some I don't. Other schools might be different, but it's unfair to say its all SD schools. But, I do learn more when I teach, so teaching is an important part of being an overall student.

Only compete in their own tournaments.
    Nope. I have competed in as many open style tournaments as I have only SD tournamanets. Two pages back was a clip of a guy who won in a couple of MMA matches. You just don't know what you are talking about there.

And everything is magical and mysterious about their art. Almost cult like.
    Nope. There's your share of CMA chi talk there, but it's not any different than many CMA schools that I've visited and worked out with.

There is absolutely nothing related to Chinese Culture in teaching, tradition, respect, etc....
    Again, it depends on the school. Most of the first students were country boys from Kentucky, so there is less of that than schools that oringnated in a metropolitan area with a large Asina community.

And they are touchy because everyone is poking and asking questions.
    I have answered every question about SD (including all of these types of criticisms) since day one. Sometimes I get tired and frusterated, but never worried that the "truth" will come out. If anything, these forums have helped put me in contact with people that confirm much of what I am taught, not discredit it.

I have a bone with groups like this because I was taken by one and spent a lot of time and money and effort training in somethign that was not what it was told to me to be.
    So you're biased (like me). Everyone should take anything we say on these topics with some levity, right?

I did however some good basic training out of it.
    Good. I think I have gotten some good basic training too, but wihtout the cult-like atmosphere.

And they will not know the CMA community or understand a respect line or tradition.
    ??? ok, man, whatever.

Hope this clarifies????? Still 119 pages of this stuff. I now will go play somewhere else on the forum.
    Good talking to you. Seriously, feel free to post or PM me as I would love to know why your opinion on SD should be taken over any others, what your experiences in other arts are, and how much experience (and with who) in Sd you have. You know, basic information to allow us some insight in your perspective.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-20-2006 at 04:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.