View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 152 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 521021421501511521531541622022526521152 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Smile Thoughts on form

I agree entirely with TT

Work on stronger stance work, generate power from the root, user a more supple waist, keep your elbows working with better power generation, let the weapon move and turn your body inside the circle more.

Hold the Pose or moment, was not to suggest Pose more, it was to hint at holding the stance or movement at the required times, with better clarity, strength and spirit.

Use stronger visualisation in your mind of fighting an opponent, and think of killing him with cold blooded intent, that should liven the form up a bit, as opposed to a sunday afternoon walk in the park as your form looks empty and devoid of energy.

It's all there just needs work on the detail
    Kune Belay Sau

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Since this is being posted in the SD video thread...

http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=65

5 animal form is the other form I did at the tournament. Frankly, I thought my performance was bad (much worse than the kwan dao ), but I think it was better than this guys' performance (no offense to the CSC people--just telling it as it is). I'll post that portion of my form for comparison.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 05-25-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Judge Pen

Although I am not experienced I do have some thoughts if you don't mind:

1) Regarding TenTigers comments i just wanted to add that the weapon is called "Kwan Dao" in southern styles but "Da Dao" in northern styles which also means that it does NOT have any of the beard touching and galloping stuff.

2) To add to some other's comments on force you should also rhythm(**fixed**). There are parts where the move should be fast or slow etc depending on the purpose behind the move. E.g. if the move is to chase and cut someone then the pacing should be faster the similate the purpose behind the move.
    Last edited by iron_silk; 05-25-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk
    2) To add to some other's comments on force you should also rthyme.
    I think it would be awesome if you busted out some mad rhymes during the middle of the kata. I'll bring over my boombox and we'll see the shaolin-do rapper/lawyer white boy in action!!!!

It's too bad Mr. Mullins doesn't put his videos back up online... they got ragged on a bunch at the time, but it was still better than pretty much all the videos representing SD that are online now... imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    I think it would be awesome if you busted out some mad rhymes during the middle of the kata. I'll bring over my boombox and we'll see the shaolin-do rapper/lawyer white boy in action!!!!
    You mean like this guy? http://www.break.com/index/cadilacblaze.html
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad
    It's too bad Mr. Mullins doesn't put his videos back up online... they got ragged on a bunch at the time, but it was still better than pretty much all the videos representing SD that are online now... imo.
    I was confused there for a second, but you mean Master Garry Mullins.

I'll say this about the videos he had up.... he was wearing a gi. I honestly believe that most of the criticism of his vids wouldn't have been if he was wearing a Chinese outfit or just some work-out pants and a t-shirt.

I also believe that the criticism of my form would be more intense if I was wearing a gi.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    I was confused there for a second, but you mean Master Garry Mullins.

I'll say this about the videos he had up.... he was wearing a gi. I honestly believe that most of the criticism of his vids wouldn't have been if he was wearing a Chinese outfit or just some work-out pants and a t-shirt.

I also believe that the criticism of my form would be more intense if I was wearing a gi.
    Of course, you suck if you wear a gi. I feel my power drop by 1000% when I put on my gi. When I'm in street clothes I can bench a semi, but once I put on my gi, I'm soooo weak.

Quote Originally Posted by lxtruong
    Of course, you suck if you wear a gi. I feel my power drop by 1000% when I put on my gi. When I'm in street clothes I can bench a semi, but once I put on my gi, I'm soooo weak.
    That's why we switched.

Seriously, GT talked about doing a form in a gi and then doing the form wearing a t-shirt and work-out pants and posted them both on another forum and the difference in the criticism because of what he was wearing. It's human nature I suppose.

I'd love to know what forum; I've been dying to see GT do his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    That's why we switched.

Seriously, GT talked about doing a form in a gi and then doing the form wearing a t-shirt and work-out pants and posted them both on another forum and the difference in the criticism because of what he was wearing. It's human nature I suppose.

I'd love to know what forum; I've been dying to see GT do his stuff.
    If you saw him doing a form in just a t-shirt and normal pants, the sheer power without the gi to hold him back would probably knock you out of your chair. THROUGH THE INTERNETS.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, I need to ask this. After seeing the spear vs broadsword set (that girl should not be doing a two person set until she has basic broadsword skills) The drunken sword set-bad figure eights and some stumbling around), the drunken fist set,the double daggar set, and the five animal set-(someone bought Doc Fai-Wong's book and only read the first few pages),
    It is obvious that these are not traditional Chinese Martial Arts sets. Are the students encouraged to create their own sets?
    Please say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I've been dying to see GT do his stuff.
    No you aren't, trust me on that. It would only serve to move SD ****her back in line than it already is.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    ok, I need to ask this. After seeing the spear vs broadsword set (that girl should not be doing a two person set until she has basic broadsword skills) The drunken sword set-bad figure eights and some stumbling around), the drunken fist set,the double daggar set, and the five animal set-(someone bought Doc Fai-Wong's book and only read the first few pages),
    It is obvious that these are not traditional Chinese Martial Arts sets. Are the students encouraged to create their own sets?
    Please say yes.
    Unless there is another spear-broadsword two man set in our system I don't know about, I think the spear vs. broadsword set was made up. I don't think the broadsword girl was necessarily that bad, although the set seemed unpolished. For demonstration purposes, it's not unheard of to make up two man sets.

The 5-animal form seems to be the same as the one I know, but it's done so dramatically different I think that if you had me on tape and that guy, you wouldn't be able to tell it's the same form.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    Please say yes.
    Like I said, I only know the 5 animal form set. It is done vastly different than I know it (which is the reason why I was going to post me doing it). And it is the same set that DFW does. He learned it from Lau Bun who learned it from his teacher's wife who said it was a shaolin form. Our version (its 85% the same form) came through indonesia. I've compared it to DFW's version.