View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 194 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 941441841921931941951962042442946941194 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Huh?

Since when does the amount hours you spend training measure anything more than how much you train? It is NOT a measure of how "shaolin" you are. I spend roughly six hours a week training. As JP said, I have a very demanding life outside of the kwoon. The "shaolin" mindset is part of who I am as a person. IMO the "shaolin" mindset is more about being honest, having integrity, a respect for all life, and a respect for people from ALL walks of life. I may not spend all day training, but I bust my a$$ every minute that I am training. Ask anyone who has trained or crossed hands with me, and I'm sure they will tell you that I am as hard core dedicated as anyone else who doesn't get paid to train. I am also very certain that I am far from being the only person who trains hard despite limited training time, and a busy life. Peace, Love, and Happy Training to ALL.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

2. tatooed monk how are you any different then grandmaster lawrence day who took what knowledge shaolin do (chinese shaolin center) gave him and ran away to do his own thing?

you make a lot of claims and bold statements but in the end you took from this art and are now giving it to others...the way you THINK it should be done.

i dont see any real honor in that my man. i see someone who couldnt hack it the way it was set up and now all he does is bash others for how they live and train.

good job!

have fun with your training and for those in denver csc ill see you wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    I may not spend all day training, but I bust my a$$ every minute that I am training.
    i must agree with the above quote! with my training i have some days where i train 5 6 7 hours (a few times per month ...)

most days 1-2 hours of training time but on some days i might only take 10 minutes to train but the point is i use those 10 minutes wisley ... i think it is quality over quantity that is important and also having a consistant schedule you keep to so that you never go to many days with out rotating through all of your material. and this brings up another point their are some forms that are not very important to me so i may only do them once per week just for memory but their are others i value more and do every day and really dig deep to understand them i think this is upto each student.

martial arts should only be a part of your life! your family for example is more important ... balance is one lesson we learn in fighting right??? we can also apply it to life ...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

So, not haveing read anything, have we decided if Shaolin Do is legit or not yet?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    So, not haveing read anything, have we decided if Shaolin Do is legit or not yet?
    Being in accordance with established or accepted patterns and standards is so subjective in the world of cma ....

shaolin do is for real is my answer to the original post.

what real is you can decide for your self.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk
    this is the exact reason why the people in the outside world do not accept ShaolinDo ...being shaolin and claiming temple lineage puts you up there on a higher level of expectation ....so do not blame me for your short comings ....

I think that should be "our" short comings.... remember where you come from TTM...
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

So, let me get this straight and correct me if I'm wrong.

TattooedMonk is an ex-shaolin-do'er who hates Shaolin-Do....but is teacing a derivative of it?

I'll reserve my comments on this subject until my question is answered.

I'm an Ex-Shaolin Do student. I wasn't happy with my training, but I'm beyond b*tching about if it's real or not. As far as I'm concerned, any "Shaolin Gong Fu" you learn in the states is watered down or completely fake. I think 90% of American's don't have the time to live the Monk lifestyle that Shaolin requires, there for they revise it to suit american standards. I'm not saying it's effective or not because there is no way to tell if I'll be able to defeat all Shaolin users.

What I do support is maybe augmenting Shaolin with some other styles to make it more potent. I'm in the mindset that mixing martial arts is what MA is all about. Why should one pigeon hole themselves into one style that claims to be complete, but leaves you wanting on some fronts. My aim is to become the most complete, well-rounded fighter I can be. That being said, I believe the only way to be such a fighter is to experience everything ALL martial arts have to offer. I don't mean take classes from all the arts, but form bonds and alliances with different styles as to learn from each other.

I hope y'all can agree. As for Shaolin do being real or not...the horse is dead...stop beating it!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I vote that it is not for real. My vote is based on what they claim they are.

Cool wrong

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    So, let me get this straight and correct me if I'm wrong.

TattooedMonk is an ex-shaolin-do'er who hates Shaolin-Do....but is teacing a derivative of it?

I'll reserve my comments on this subject until my question is answered.

I'm an Ex-Shaolin Do student. I wasn't happy with my training, but I'm beyond b*tching about if it's real or not. As far as I'm concerned, any "Shaolin Gong Fu" you learn in the states is watered down or completely fake. I think 90% of American's don't have the time to live the Monk lifestyle that Shaolin requires, there for they revise it to suit american standards. I'm not saying it's effective or not because there is no way to tell if I'll be able to defeat all Shaolin users.

What I do support is maybe augmenting Shaolin with some other styles to make it more potent. I'm in the mindset that mixing martial arts is what MA is all about. Why should one pigeon hole themselves into one style that claims to be complete, but leaves you wanting on some fronts. My aim is to become the most complete, well-rounded fighter I can be. That being said, I believe the only way to be such a fighter is to experience everything ALL martial arts have to offer. I don't mean take classes from all the arts, but form bonds and alliances with different styles as to learn from each other.

I hope y'all can agree. As for Shaolin do being real or not...the horse is dead...stop beating it!
    I am no longer affiliated ..and I do not hate SD..actually quite the opposite.I teach what I have learned over my 25year martialart career...but it is mostly shaolin ( from shaolin do and some nonshaolin do).Iam not claiming to be some grandmaster or make any reference to shaolin do.

anybody who knows anything about Shaolin, knows that it is a mixed martialart ..over the long history of Shaolin they invited martialartist from all overto different summits to share their martialarts skills .they took all the best techniques out of all the styles and made knew ones and made additional modifications to old ones.

the problem is that no matter what style you do in shaolin do it all looks the same ...like karate.. all the training methods are out dated and are ineffective in teaching a student / practitioner how to use the art for self defense purposes.

for the most part all the pieces of the puzzle are there ...but because we are americans it should be shown how to put it all together. but it is not. it is fragmented...the old ancient chinese secret heh??

my first instructor brought in instructors from other arts to supplement our training when we worked on down and ground training and chi na he brought in jujitsu and judo people, when we did kicking muay thai and tae kwon do , punching bxers and shoto kand ..stuuf like this ...

I do not undertsand why it is that Sd claims to be the way of shaolin but do not seem to follow this way of shaolin!! I believe you are correct in this view. if you did this one the csc half..you would get so busted...why??

No one knows the "true" way of Shaolin.

The way of shaolin is like the way of religion.

It is open to interpretation from any number of sources. You take what you need and live your life the way you want.

Fox

The Fox that chases 2 rabbits catches neither. How will you know if an art is effective if one is not dedicated to it 100%. The Shaolin Monks used the arts in life and death situations therefore they must work. It is the American way to look for the easy way. Try being totally dedicated to something and see where it takes you. IMO it is a copout to cross train like you are saying. Be dedicated to the Tao/Way and see what becomes of it. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang
    The Fox that chases 2 rabbits catches neither. How will you know if an art is effective if one is not dedicated to it 100%. The Shaolin Monks used the arts in life and death situations therefore they must work. It is the American way to look for the easy way. Try being totally dedicated to something and see where it takes you. IMO it is a copout to cross train like you are saying. Be dedicated to the Tao/Way and see what becomes of it. KC
    Get off your spiritual mumbo jumbo, tool.

I think it's a cop out to pigeon hole yourself into one art, and turn away what everything else has to offer. You're under entirely too much mysticism if you think that every art is complete or you think you'll get by with just one of the ranges. I am dedicated to what I do and, let me tell you, it's not an impossible task. You just have to have the discipline to focus until you are proficent in what you do. I don't see it as 3 seperate arts, I see it as the 1 art that works for me... MY art that I gained through trial and error.

If you are so closed minded to turn down lessons from other arts and add them to your repitior, then I feel sorry for you. You miss out on a lot.

But hey, do what you CAN do...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    Get off your spiritual mumbo jumbo, tool.

LOL

Brilliant!

Knowledge Is Power

It is foolish to turn away from knowledge of any kind. To assume that one has found the one true source for any type of knowledge, is to began sinking into deluded ignorance. There will always be some one, some where who has discovered something you did not. This fact does not make any one person better than another. It simply emphasizes the need for everyone to keep their minds open, and their egos under control. "The human mind once expanded, never regains it's original form." Peace.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    It is foolish to turn away from knowledge of any kind.
    I agree... evolution is nature's quality control. The strong move forward while the weak, who are unable to adapt to change, get left behind. MA should be no different... it should be a living art. I think some people spend too much time trying to replicate a time that has already past. Look at all the great information that is at our fingertips now with the internet, books, and the ability to travel all over the world.

I study Shaolin-Do and I'm proud to say it. At my school there are no politics, no mystical BS, it stinks like sweat, and a lot of hard work goes on there. We openly discuss techniques and application on a regular basis and do not shy away ANY knowledge. It's a great school!