View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 478 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 378428468476477478479480488528578978 ... LastLast
Results 7,156 to 7,170 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    and help give tips
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    I'm not a teacher
    No offense, but if you are a student, just be a student. Let the teachers do the teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    No offense, but if you are a student, just be a student. Let the teachers do the teaching.
    hi ya'all,

i think it is important for a "student" at some point and under close supervision of his/her own teacher help to teach other students. teaching really can help you understand what you do and do not know.

"we" are not supposed to "teach" without express permission from our own teachers. but i do not think wookie is trying to "teach" anything more than

<hey i found i can get more power if i do it that way instead of like this ... try that ...>
    i think if a young student says to another as i understand it, it could be better if you xyz blh blink blah instead of the way you are doing it ... ... ... ... but you should ask the teacher just to be sure.

i do not think he is trying to lead class or anything ...

of coarse there is always danger of the young student trying to teach something very different than the main teacher is showing and adding more confusion to the other students instead of helping, i think this is where the close supervision comes into play.

in general it is not ok to add new material unless you are a "certified" teacher, but it is generally ok to help a student with his "old" material.

best,

bruce
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwaichang
    You are forgiven because you are making a blanket statement and you are Judging someone that you dont know KC
    Your forgiveness is appreciated. And my apologies for the delay in my response

Understand, that in both this and the preceding rebuttal have been made under the assumption that your original comment was in reference to TTM and his school. If they were not, please let me know.

If this statement
    Originally Posted by kwaichang
    Show me the Money Show me the Money , that is what its about man who cares about the Origin or how good you have something Its about the money what a shame KC
    is in reference to TTM's school, I take it that you have some knowledge of TTM and his school that qualifies you to say that he is teaching the SD-based and other material only for the money without it being a blanket statement- and I'm sure you must know him as a person well enough to judge him as such.

My point was not to judge YOU, per se, but I find it interesting that a proponent of SD/CSC/Whatever-the-heck of all things, is coming down on someone else with the point "It's all about the money, who cares about the origin." Again, pot and kettle.

I don't know TTM, and I do not agree with quite a few things he has said, but I would think if TTM was going to do it just for the money, he would have no problem invoking the name of SD to promote his school. SD is a very large, almost ubiquitous organization, and let's be honest- it's pretty darn lucrative. Nothing wrong with being big or lucrative, of course, but there it is. He probably doesn't mention "the origin" on his site out of respect for an organization that he is no longer a part of. Here are some more salt grains. ....
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Good points made elsewhere that apply perfectly here.

quotes from another thread ---kfmdc

I do not know a single thing about LHBF, about Sigung Chan or about lineage

I do however know Sifu Choi....

HE IS THE REAL THING, HE HAS VERY STRONG KUNG FU, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, HE CAN FIGHT WITH IT
    Grandmaster The' has very strong kung-fu -- and HE CAN FIGHT WITH IT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

another quote from kfmdc

come on, by now we all know, being attacked on the internet by gutless geeks should be taken as a compliment, you must be doing something right

f-em, they're idiots
    Considering how much GMT and SD have been attacked - we must REALLY BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT --- thanks for the compliment's ya'all

Quote from the same thread --- SevenStar

lineage, schmineage. choi's skill level far outweighs any real or fake lineage claims. Why do people get so wrapped up in lineage?
    We have been asking the same question for over 400 pages -- good luck getting an answer that makes any sense.

Another quote from the same thread --TaiChiBob

Periodically, people show-up to discredit this master ot that master.. it's the nature of the game.. I've trained with Master Choi, and regardless of lineage, he has the goods.. by that, i mean he can back-up his lessons with usable applications.. and, from my perspective, applications that work beat lineages that don't.. cripe, we all know of "Masters" with ancient verifiable lineages but that produce no fighters, and rarely are seen training "real" applications.. so, do you pay a paper Tiger.. or, do you pay for lessons that work..
    good question - " so, do you pay a paper Tiger.. or, do you pay for lessons that work.." from reading this thread the resounding answer is ..... PAY THE PAPER TIGER!!!

LOL - Now ChainWhip, you don't really expect them to be consistent do you? SD's one of their favorite whipping mules and they're not going to let a little thing like consistent application of values get in their way.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    ...... I do not agree with quite a few things he has said ....
    like what??

you are right if I was trying to make money I would be telling everyone with whom I have studied ,among other things. I have a great deal of respect for GM Sin and for the Art . I have lost a great deal of respect for a few people though.

By the way I teach for FREE
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 09-07-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    like what??

you are right if I was trying to make money I would be telling everyone with whom I have studied ,among other things. I have a great deal of respect for GM Sin and for the Art . I have lost a great deal of respect for a few people though.

It sounds like what you got goin on is the way it used to be in the oldin days, back in indonesia. Or at least the way it was explained to me. I like to idea of people getting together and working on stuff and making it work.

You may be overcharging.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

Students talk and trade tips. Nothin' wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Whip View Post
    Good points made elsewhere that apply perfectly here.

Grandmaster The' has very strong kung-fu -- and HE CAN FIGHT WITH IT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering how much GMT and SD have been attacked - we must REALLY BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT --- thanks for the compliment's ya'all

We have been asking the same question for over 400 pages -- good luck getting an answer that makes any sense.

good question - " so, do you pay a paper Tiger.. or, do you pay for lessons that work.." from reading this thread the resounding answer is ..... PAY THE PAPER TIGER!!!
    LOL.......

Honor

To teach a style form or art and not honor the teacher or where you learned it is dishonorable. The only thing that seperates us MA from street thugs is honor and discipline to train in a way for a long period of time. I looked at that TTM's web site and though he cites the forms not where he learned them. Is this from fear of recourse from SD or GMT ??? I dont know. I have agreed with TTM on occasion and I was making a general statement. In Texas there is a guy offering JuJitsu nothing wrong with the style but to me that is a sell out much like Ninjitsu in the 80 's. Nothing wrong with covering the over head and making a little to progress yourself as a MA but when people charge 90-150 per month and then enforce contracts legally that to me sucks. I did not direct my statement at TTM individually but to all who sell out for the almighty dollar. If I stole your car and sold it and kept the money I would be a thief, If I learn your art and teach it with out acknowledging you or giving a small% then I am stealing from you . That is how I feel . I long for the old days when people trained with each other and taught for the love of the art no judging just training. That to me is how you learn. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

like what??

You frequently do tell with whom you have studied. You name drop both GM Sin The and the Soards all the f'ing time.

Since you train from dusk till dawn, teach for FREE and now claim an aversion to all things monetary, have you considered entering the Shaolin Ninjitsu Commune?

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Whip View Post
    Quote:
    Quote from the same thread --- SevenStar
    lineage, schmineage. choi's skill level far outweighs any real or fake lineage claims. Why do people get so wrapped up in lineage?

I thought it was the SD guys that were hung up on lineage, like insisting it's the 'real' Shaolin and everyone else isn't.

Other than that the other quotes look like independant (non-students) assessments of a master's skill by qualified sources.

Where is that paralleled with SD?

The charges so far are that only committed SD students with unknown experience have attested to Sin The's skill. No outside verification, video or historical evidence has turned up yet.

I imagine SD will continue to catch flak until some more substantial proof of the lineage claim or skill level is presented.

Seriously, what would you think of a school with hundreds of students, who knows how many instructor level practitioners, and decades in business that can't produce one video clip representative of the skill (to date all known video has been claimed as being not the true skill level, no offense JP) or placing in a non-SD only event?

Until then we'll just have to believe that the available video IS representative of the skill level of the more 'advanced' SD practitioners and it doesn't get much better than what we see.

Just putting things in perspective.

Your warped perspective, a tourney is not an indicator of skill level KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Fukien Shaolin Lineage

What I would like to hear about is SD's Fukien Shaolin Louhan sets (1 through 5 and various two man sets / weapons), Shaolin Quan sets ( Sh. 12, 24, 36, & 72 / two man sets and weapons) & Fukien Shaolin Di Shu / Ditang (1 through 4, two man sets, & weapons). After all, these 3 styles were created at Shaolin and were the core training styles at Fukien Temple. SD has many forms in its style, but I haven't seen the true shaolin forms noted from Fukien Temple. However, through some research on various articles I have found alot of forms (like the bird sets, etc) that are more common to some of the Okinawan karate styles. Many shaolin sets I've seen/read from SD websites were non-shaolin, but styles of various long fist systems, etc. The list goes on. I really dont care one way or another. I just find SD interesting.... If you guys have the three Fukien core styles, I would be greatly interested in hearing about them and the names of sets practiced...

Thanks.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!