View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 535 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 354354855255335345355365375455856351035 ... LastLast
Results 8,011 to 8,025 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

do you know it or have you seen it ? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    do you know it or have you seen it ? KC
    Had it after it was initially taught out. Let it go years back.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

I just learned Youth Long Fist does anyone know the history or Chinese name for this form , it is an awesome form KC
    Youth Long Fist? Is that the English name?

Qing-Nian Chuan (young fist) 青 年 拳 is a long fist form, often taught at Southern schools. I believe it was added into some Hung Gar curriculums, but it's Northern in origin.

It has two sections and is also taught as a two-man form sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4VTtufn8c
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-17-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Youth Long Fist? Is that the English name?

Qing-Nian Chuan (young fist) 青 年 拳 is a long fist form, often taught at Southern schools. I believe it was added into some Hung Gar curriculums, but it's Northern in origin.

It has two sections and is also taught as a two-man form sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD4VTtufn8c
    Nah... this is a Chang Quan type set. I don't know what level of routine it is, but it's not the typical compulsary Chang Quan from the PRC, but it felt like it when I learned it. I could be an off the wall TCMA Chang Quan but I don't know from what school.

It's almost like those duan sets out there on youtube by the chunky woman, but a little longer. Let me stress & be uber clear... this isn't what it is... just what it felt like when you removed the rebar from the back & quit trying to overpower & overkill every single motion... this is what it would've worked like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KqI1qBJyI
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    I could be an off the wall TCMA Chang Quan but I don't know from what school.
    So you're not for certain its a PRC children's training set? I was hoping that a man with your internet acumen could find a clip of the PRC version so I could compare the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Some just comment on things to hear themselves rattle. Dont post if you dont know. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Some just comment on things to hear themselves rattle. Dont post if you dont know. KC
    Oh I'm sorry He Who Knows Everything Is Everything SD.

I do know it's a Chang Quan set. I do know it's not from the South where SD claims roots from Fujian. I do know it wasn't taught until recent history like many other things in SD after a couple of China trips & new CDs were available to the public like Mulan Fans from Mulan Quan (which isn't even a freaking TCMA for Crissakes), Xingyi Weaponry, Bagua Weaponry...

So I'll give JP's suggestion a go & see what I can find on it for you since apparently you're not willing to look outside the SD box to see where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    So you're not for certain its a PRC children's training set? I was hoping that a man with your internet acumen could find a clip of the PRC version so I could compare the two.
    I'm gonna give it a shot to look it up.

I said it was a PRC training set for kids but I could very easily be wrong with that assumption, since we all know who assuming does. Think of "intro" level or maybe even the stuff taught at schools for PE since it's not the compulsary comp form. Or it may be a small TCMA set but it didn't feel like it.

I'll see what I can find to appease He Who Can Not Be Wrong Since All Is SD up the street from you. Maybe something, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    I'm gonna give it a shot to look it up.

I said it was a PRC training set for kids but I could very easily be wrong with that assumption, since we all know who assuming does. Think of "intro" level or maybe even the stuff taught at schools for PE since it's not the compulsary comp form. Or it may be a small TCMA set but it didn't feel like it.

I'll see what I can find to appease He Who Can Not Be Wrong Since All Is SD up the street from you. Maybe something, maybe not.
    I don't have the characters for the set, but the romanization I have for the form is Tung Tze Chang Chien

I'll be interested if you can find an example of the same form. I'm sure its out there somewhere.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I don't have the characters for the set, but the romanization I have for the form is Tung Tze Chang Chien
    Thanks... that should help some.

I'll be interested if you can find an example of the same form. I'm sure its out there somewhere.
    Given the amount of stuff that's out there, you'd think. I'll let you know what I find or don't find.

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Sean
    Have you also been taught the 4 china hands as well
    and let them go by the way side as well
    OTH
    The 2 at brown. Those were the only 2 I had.

When I say "let them go" I mean I don't practice them, haven't practiced them since the day I left & don't intend to in the future. That's not meaning I don't remember them or have totally forgotten them, but they are far away on the back burner. All of the SD material is. The older it is, the more engrained in the memory banks it is, the more likely I could reproduce it again if there was a need to. The newer the material was ... not so much.
    Last edited by sean_stonehart; 10-18-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: clarification

Any hope of someone going through it on video and posting it up? If it's modern chang quan, I'd most likely recognize it, and I've got quite a few Chinese chang quan vcds and training manuals lying around.

Blog Entries
    I can remember back in the late 80's early 90's GMS stated he would teach everything he knew in the next 5 years. Then he made his trip to indonesia and knew 900 forms all of a sudden. But if you look at Hiang's material its stayed relatively the same, with a few addtions over the years. And he doesn't claim 900 forms either.
    Comments, please.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I can remember back in the late 80's early 90's GMS stated he would teach everything he knew in the next 5 years. Then he made his trip to indonesia and knew 900 forms all of a sudden. But if you look at Hiang's material its stayed relatively the same, with a few addtions over the years. And he doesn't claim 900 forms either.
    Comments, please.
    Doesn't the 1987 Inside Kung Fu Magazine reference over 900 forms? If so, that would pre-date the early 1990s Indonesia trip.

Originally Posted by bodhi warrior
    Comments, please.
    The 900 forms claim started in the late 80's. From what I understand - and I could be wrong here. Master Grooms actually was the first to say "900 forms." This is because the Soards told him something like it was 300 forms to reach 6th Black and that at that point you had 1/3 of the system. (keep in mind back in the mid 80's there were no 6th Blacks except for EM Leonard possibly) Being such a math wizard he figured that meant 900 forms and said so in his marketing materials (which has since been removed) I do not believe there is any mention of 900 forms prior to this point. However, if someone can produce something claiming 900 forms that pre-dates about 1986 then I would be obviously incorrect.