View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 591 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 914915415815895905915925936016416911091 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,865 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

"Shaolin Wookie has the same IP as Seppuku"

Hah! I knew he was a troll...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    And for my 500th post:
    It is an urban legend that the Kool-Aid man has died. He recently was starring in a reality TV show and will be on the next "Dancing with the Stars."
    He got cut during the tryouts. Apparently, it had something to do with the fact that the Kool-Aid Man refused to use the door, and it was costing the production a ****load in brick walls.

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    I thought he got cut because Shaolin Do students drink cool-aid as prescribed to them by Grandmaster Sin. I crack myself up sometimes......lol. I should become a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    I crack myself up sometimes.....
    Please do. Total immersion in Dry Ice is an effective way to accomplish this.

lol. I should become a comedian.
    comedian, sideshow freak, about the same thing these days.

(for the record, I'm NOT an SD'er, you're just annoying)
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    Please do. Total immersion in Dry Ice is an effective way to accomplish this.

comedian, sideshow freak, about the same thing these days.

(for the record, I'm NOT an SD'er, you're just annoying)
    Now, that was funny
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

What's annoying about mrkiii is that he thinks he's cool. There's a reason he annoys SD and non-SD alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Myths & Legends

IMO the legends and mythology in TCMA history make it more fun. I suspect they are what drew most of us to TCMA in the first place. I think the legends should inspire you to train harder. Duh, you're not going to gain super natural powers, but at least it's something cool to think about while you're training your ass off. I might never be able to swim with my pecs, but I might end up being one tough bent dude from trying.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    IMO the legends and mythology in TCMA history make it more fun. I suspect they are what drew most of us to TCMA in the first place. I think the legends should inspire you to train harder. Duh, you're not going to gain super natural powers, but at least it's something cool to think about while you're training your ass off. I might never be able to swim with my pecs, but I might end up being one tough bent dude from trying.
    Now this is more like it! Myths & Legends. I think we all can agree on this one. Personally, I can say that this is one aspect of the cma that captured me in my early cma training, lol... It wasn't too much longer before I realized that these myths & legends translated to working your @ss off to obtain skills that would normally be beyond one's reach. Sure, I've heard and pass on alot of "true stories or lineage history", but the myths & legends some how make it all worth while...

As far as - true shaolin, etc - we all pretty much take the words of our teachers, within reason and go from there. One day, maybe we will all stand corrected, who knows. Me included, lol.... Until then, I am true shaolin . Just joking. Couldn't help myself...

Everyone have a great & safe New Year celebration.
    CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Myth Legend

When i 1st trained I was told by my teacher that if you tried you could punch and kick fast enogh you could out run your shadow/ and punch with enough snap to tear a round hole in a piece of news paper and snap your punches hard enough with enough focus to cause a miniature POP or air collapsing in on itself. Later I asked about those things after training about 5 years on it. He said didnt i tell you those are just legends. I said no. he said oops sorry. But I wasnt I was faster and more powerful for it and I did out run my shadow and tear paper from the snap in a punch. Hey the stories work WOW. KC For real!!!!
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Not to burst your bubble, but you didn't outrun your own shadow, unless of course you're punching faster than the speed of light (which can travel around our globe roughly 8 times per second), which is pretty impressive I must say. It's more than enough to tear a hole in a piece of paper. It'd probably incinerate the sucker and consume you in the flames of the afterburn.

Shaolinlueb: Lineage's were something they jsut started to keep track of in the late 1800's and the early 1900's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sorry, but considering Chinese culture worships it's ancestors, I believe you are mistaken. Family trees were well documented.
    Where would one see this "documentation?"

If you went to the old Chen Village training hall (not the new one built in 1992) in the entry area they had stone markers with the Chen lineage engraved starting with generation One all the way up to modern day. However, for generations Two through Eight they had no names engraved and admitted they had no idea who the lineage holders were for those seven generations. I'm sure other styles did a better job of tracking their lineage - if they actually cared. In the case of the Chen Family you could not say their "Family tree was well documented"

There were gaps in their line where instead of a name, a series of dots were placed where the name was not known. I don't recall seven series of dots in a row but hey, it was a long time since I saw it. But didn't it have quite a lot of named generations?
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

SW sorry but you dont have to out run the speed of light just the speed of sight you werent there so no matter I can still punch fast enough tou put your lights out. Shoot I am so fast I turn out the lights and am in bed before it is dark HAHA KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Here's how much lineage matters:

My grandfather traced my family tree through our nation's libraries because he wanted to see if we were "Mayflower material" (yeah, he's like that ), and got our family tree back to medieval times. He didn't examine it, but I interpreted it for him. Three of my ancestors are the names of Shakespeare plays, and five of them occur as characters in his plays, and I'm related to both Charlemagne and the Plantagenets, who ruled France and England for several centuries. You remember the villain from Braveheart, Edward I? Yup, my greatX20 grandaddy....LOL.....

Now, I'm a full-time dockworker, part-time communications officer, and a grad-student 1/2 done with his coursework, studying Shaolin-Do.

Lineages don't mean d1ck.

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    There were gaps in their line where instead of a name, a series of dots were placed where the name was not known. I don't recall seven series of dots in a row but hey, it was a long time since I saw it. But didn't it have quite a lot of named generations?
    Yes, they had the other 11 or 12 generations listed. I don't remember if the 19th Generation was listed. They are probably still fighting about whose name should go there.