View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 26 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836761265261026 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I like the paper idea. Never though of that. I used to play around with kicking a falling piece of paper as many times as I could before it hit the ground. I may play around with using x-rays for their wing flick paper. We have some laying around there.

Yeah the gravel crane rolls were placed upon me at an early age. The guy putting us through them was a tyrant. But I tell you, to this day I can do a roll on any surface at any speed and not feel an ounce of pain nor make any noise.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

When I was in SD I used to always get people with the Crane sweep.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
    When I was in SD I used to always get people with the Crane sweep.
    Yes I like the dropping in the 3rd crane and doing the foor sweeps gets them everytime!!

wait a min....

900 forms????

well lets say he learnt 1 form every month....that would take.....75 years!

now old is this guy and how long has he been training?

definatly not shaolin, d'oh!

thats not to say the training is not good though.
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

1 form every month
    I've learned two forms in a week before...

Once you have a grasp of a system or style, the apps. can be recongnized quickly...

I'm not saying that both forms were all good by the end of the week, but still.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Holy crap NP ... you actually made an argument in our defense. I have semi retired from these boards and didn't know if you had done this before. But thanks.

What people have to realize is that we have never said that our GM has master 900 forms. We haven't even said that this estimated number are all long forms. What we are saying is GM Sin has learned 900 or so forms and even though he doesn't have them all currently worked up he has means of recalling the forms in order to teach out, through his extensive notes. He does have mastery over his chosen specialty and with his ability I would say he has more than proficiency with the others.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab

I've learnt a form in a day....but I kept learning the same form for many months after I initial learnt it.

900 is an awful lot, and easy to get cnfused with one another, notes or no notes.

i'm impressed, good luck to him!
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

Talking Live, You Hideous Beast, Live!

ttt

To start a sh!t-storm . . .

Are the arts of Ken/mpo related, or are they in completely different organizations . . . ?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

LOL! Geez Vash, could you be more general in your question?! Let's see, it depends on WHICH Kem/npo arts you're referring to. We have Shorinji Kempo, Goshindo Kempo, Ryukyu Kempo, Okinawan Kenpo, (which are all separate arts, though probably related somewhere along the line) then there is the whole American/Hawaiian Kem/npo arts which are all related, though they each have their own separate organizations. Some of the major methods for these include Kosho Ryu Kempo, Kara Ho Kempo, Kenpo Jiu-Jitsu, Shaolin Kempo, Shaolin Kenpo, and American Kenpo, all of which have had instructors branch off to create their own Ken/mpo systems and organizations...Whew! And ya' know what Vash? There was even a style called Isshin Kempo developed by an Isshin Ryu stylist in the 70s (I believe), though I'm not sure how many people still practice it since the guy passed away.

Whoah. I didn't know there was so much Kenpo to go around.

Joy, another research project. Yay!

No idea cerebus. Not sure where the original strains of kenpo started. We could have definitely had the same influences because of the areas we were in. If I'm not mistaken the The' brothers had a few teachers. So if many of our forms weren't influenced by kenpo (even if some of our practitioners execute them as if they were) we could very easily have some other forms that were. I don't find that offensive at all to think so. I believe you can find good martial artists in all arts and I am sure there is many things I could learn from a kenpo master. (And humbly, I hope I could teach him a thing or two as well)
    Last edited by themeecer; 12-20-2003 at 03:56 PM.
    -shaolinarab

On the Forms of Shaolin Do

Is there a pre-set order in which they are taught?

Is there any set time to be spent on one form before one is taught another?

Why am I repeating questions asked of every other Shaolin Do thread?

Shaolin-Do & Ken/mpo don't have any connection that I know of. My own opinion (which means only that) is that Sin The was a karate practitioner who learned Kung Fu forms from books (and created some forms himself). For decades Hong Kong has mass produced cheap little handbooks covering thousands of forms from hundreds of styles. These would have been easily obtained in Malaysia. If this IS the case, he would have done better to simply have proclaimed SD to be his own style of Chinese/ Malaysian Kung Fu, and I doubt anyone would have any problems with that (though it would sound much less "cool"). The major gripe Chinese martial arts practitioners have with SD (other than the historical claims) is that the forms are performed like a karate guy imitating Kung Fu. That doesn't mean it doesn't work on many levels (mental & physical development, self defense, etc.), but it ISN'T Traditional Chinese Martial Arts. Again, this is only my own opinion. Flame away!

Holy Crap!

A logical, thoughtful, non-angry voice of a Shaolin-Do practitioner, and it wasn't judge pen!

Heh, heh. Just so no one makes any mistakes, Vash ISN'T speaking of ME.