View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 690 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1905906406806886896906916927007407901190 ... LastLast
Results 10,336 to 10,350 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    ?? have any of you seen master nance's way of working sk#1 ,,he has some very good things to share?
    I have. I like his way of thinking. He "reverse engineers" these techniques which I appreciate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Short form number 1
    To add to what Bent has already stated:

The stance teaches a solid foundation, a rooting if you will. Most have no balance when they begin and the stance will help develop that. It also will lead to the proper way to generate power through the body instead of the arm, as is the way most punch when beginning. The right leg being forward along with the left hand being out will creating a certain "torquing or loading" of the waist and body. When the right hand punch is delivered, it starts with the leg, driving the waist which in turn will "unload" through the body to the shoulder and finally end at the fist.

The punch adds to this generation of power by using the shoulders to rotate 90 deg. and drive the arm. The left hand should pull back to the head block as hard as the right hand is punching, causing the shoulders to act as a fulcrum. The fist, being palm up until the moment of impact will add just a bit more ummmph by rotating it to palm down at the moment of contact (this is why you flip your wrist when trying to get that booger off your finger, more acceleration ).

As for the blocking, it will teach a couple of things. The way it was explained to me, the fist and elbow should make an arching motion (radius about 2-3 inches on the fist) which will increase speed and power on the fore arm in the block. Snapping the wrist to palm up at the last moment will cause the inside blade of the forearm to snap into the block, creating a hard bone vs soft tissue blocking situation.

So, with in this one small simple form, there are a lot of principles that can be applied all the way up through the SD training. There are more nuances to the form, but those are the ones I think are best stressed.
    Last edited by Golden Tiger; 11-01-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Any comments out there on Lo Han Chien? I really like the way it incorporates the I Ching breathing at the beginning and end. It reminds me of some of the Hung Gar forms I have learned previous to studying Shaolin Do in that regards.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't this be true of all the forms? This way both sides get worked evenly.

I dont think the Hua would apply this way, however does anyone have the sets after Tai Pang Sien Kune of the other Tai Pang Forms ?? I think there are 4 or 6 of them . KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries

tai pang forms

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I dont think the Hua would apply this way, however does anyone have the sets after Tai Pang Sien Kune of the other Tai Pang Forms ?? I think there are 4 or 6 of them . KC
    I have learned the first three, which really make up one form. There are supposed to be 18 of them. But I think the first 6 are really just 2 forms broken up.
    But as far as the three I know, they really are basic. The first and third are basically the same form but done on the opposite side. The second one isn't much at all.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    SF # 1 a defense against a grab with joint lock' or locks in place or closing then a throw KC
    This it the one I like . It is too bad that most people can not see beyond the simple and obvious block and punch. The hidden/ scecret moves are in the range of motion.

For all of you in Tennesse....

How about Collins and those TITANS!!!!! Looks like the old quarterbacks have something to prove this season and have!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    This it the one I like . It is too bad that most people can not see beyond the simple and obvious block and punch. The hidden/ scecret moves are in the range of motion.
    I don't think hidden or secret is the right term because these are not applications that are not taught. Most movements in forms have different applications depending on the distance and type of attack. I don't think that "most" people can't see it, but some people don't always take the time to look at a technique from all perspectives.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Many Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I don't think hidden or secret is the right term because these are not applications that are not taught. Most movements in forms have different applications depending on the distance and type of attack. I don't think that "most" people can't see it, but some people don't always take the time to look at a technique from all perspectives.
    The application of any movement is going to change based on many factors. The height and weight of the combatants, the ability level of the practitioner, the conflict environment, etc. IMO basic applications are taught in the beginning to start the practitioner thinking about why they're doing the movement. As each person grows as a martial artist, they become less and less concerned with specific applications. Their body begins to move naturally and correctly based on the type of situation they are in. As Bruce Lee said, "I do not hit. It hits all by itself."
    Last edited by BentMonk; 11-04-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    BW
    I suppose so,however, GMS specifically pointed out many many moons
    ago that this particular form we did was only half of the entire form. I asked
    him one time about the closing , this was when he informed me of the right
    mirror side. Maybe some one older than me has more info on the Left/Right
    (mirror image) side of other SD forms ???? (That would really be a 'corker' if
    all the Hua fists were mirrored, What an endurance test that would be!!!)
    OTD
    I've not tried to mirror the Huas, but try doing all 4 consecutively with 0 break between them. They really do flow well into one another and you still end up within a couple of feet from the begining of 1 to the end of 4.

on the two sided thing, does any here have the manite linkage forms, they are that way so maybe it is a system thing to mantis?
    i remember the first time i was asked to do lohan on the other both sides, not to brag, but it was in class at the last second me and a training partner were the highest rank in the class, we pulled it off first run with no problem, all the lower rank were like , " what the he77?? " ,, it was fun
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    They are hidden and secret to the ones who do not know them , can not use them or are not aware of them, correct??

I disagree with you about most people seeing them . If most people saw them, knew them or used them you would not see so many people using the application that are obvious and on the surface, making up application that are not really there and / or need a great deal of cooperation to make work.

But I do agree that, if they were taught what it is that they should be looking for and learned how to see things from multiple perspectives they can and should be able to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    They are hidden and secret to the ones who do not know them , can not use them or are not aware of them, correct??

I disagree with you about most people seeing them . If most people saw them, knew them or used them you would not see so many people using the application that are obvious and on the surface, making up application that are not really there and / or need a great deal of cooperation to make work.

But I do agree that, if they were taught what it is that they should be looking for and learned how to see things from multiple perspectives they can and should be able to see them.
    The best application is the one that works for you. Obvious applications are fine because they deal with obvious situations. Other applications may only work in the most unique of circumstances and, as Paul astutely pointed out, depend on any number of variables.

Focused On The Finger

IMO the moves in all MA forms exist simply to reinforce the basics I mentioned concerning short form number one. The internal arts add intent and harnessed energy to this solid foundation.

When someone is in a confrontation they're not going to stop and think, "OK, I'm going to use the second application that I figured out for the first part of the third black tiger." If their fundamentals are sound the reaction will be natural, fluid, and effective.

I'm not saying that looking for specific applications within a form is a bad thing. Anything that adds more than one dimension to some one's thinking is a good thing. I just feel that once movements become truly internalized, the number of possible applications becomes as limitless as the situations a practitioner may encounter. Analysing is a good thing as long as the analysis doesn't limit the scope of your thinking or stifle your instincts.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com