View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 688 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1885886386786866876886896906987387881188 ... LastLast
Results 10,306 to 10,320 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

love the pic... thats pretty much what i was taught but my point was only that each of us see different was of using things based on all the things that make us us?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    That's the way I was taught also.

Sounds like the west coast has changed these to.
    I'm East Coast, and was taught it as just a jumping chop.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post
    I'm East Coast, and was taught it as just a jumping chop.
    That's the simplification on the technique that boils it down to its core, but the way OTD described it encompasis all of the elements. I'm pretty sure that the KET book doesn't go into as much detail as OTD either, but I'll check it out and get back to you.

By the way, the knee could be a block or even a hip check depending so there's several right ways to do a technique once you have the core movement in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    By the way, the knee could be a block or even a hip check depending so there's several right ways to do a technique once you have the core movement in mind.
    Or if you were slick enough to hook the instep of the foot inside of his knee, and lean against his hip..he's kind of stuck. Or maybe even slide it down, hook the ankle and lean on the outside of the knee..that's an old pushing hands move but works well on # 10 also.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

If I'm not mistaken, M. Bullock won the masters division in sparring a couple of tourney's
    ago with #10
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    Or if you were slick enough to hook the instep of the foot inside of his knee, and lean against his hip..he's kind of stuck. Or maybe even slide it down, hook the ankle and lean on the outside of the knee..that's an old pushing hands move but works well on # 10 also.
    Straight out of 64 just after cloud hands

So much for that ACL
    BQ

Hey Baqualin where is that link we talked about ??? Hadnt gotten it yet KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Unhappy

...........?

Blog Entries

san njie breathing

I was practicing san njie today and had an idea on the application of the tense breathing. Now when I do san njie my abdomen stays tense from start till the explosion at the end. So when I breath my abdomen doesn't move, it's just solid. Now this comes in handy when going against a brazilian jujitsu practioner. They have a couple of moves where they try to compress the abdomen of their opponent. Every time the opponent breathes out they keep tightening their hold, making it harder and harder to breath. When I crossed trained in jujitsu their were a couple of bigger guys that would try this on me.
    Just an idea to think about.

I always thought that technique was a filler personally. Jumping strikes to the collar bone just dosen't make any sense. A knee to the floaters accompanied by a chop makes even less sense. It's just not practial no matter how far you try to stretch it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Hey Baqualin where is that link we talked about ??? Hadnt gotten it yet KC
    Check your email
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    I always thought that technique was a filler personally. Jumping strikes to the collar bone just dosen't make any sense. A knee to the floaters accompanied by a chop makes even less sense. It's just not practial no matter how far you try to stretch it.
    Watch the movie ong bak......he uses #10 as a elbow strike to the top of the skull instead of a chop to the collar bone.....pretty nasty.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Watch the movie ong bak......he uses #10 as a elbow strike to the top of the skull instead of a chop to the collar bone.....pretty nasty.
    BQ
    Now that makes more sense. An elbow would definitely make more of an impact than a chop.

14. just reviewed 8 animal pa kua and Buddha fist.

finally ironed out the kinks i had in them.

8 animal though will take more understanding i think.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Now that makes more sense. An elbow would definitely make more of an impact than a chop.
    Depends on the target. In Ong BAk, I was a little bemused with that technique because he was striking down on the top of the head. My number one rule is strike hard to soft. An chop is more versatile because the collar-bone is vulnerable as is the throat and neck. To me, the jump is a way to cover ground (a suggestion if you will), but the principal of the technique is the metal element; the chopping force. Granted it can be done with the elbow, but its easier to change the angle of a chop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.