View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 698 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1985986486886966976986997007087487981198 ... LastLast
Results 10,456 to 10,470 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Cool

When I am in full gear as far as training I have a day for beginning - 3rd brown and 4 of my upper level forms, a day for 2nd brown =1st BB and then more upper level for testing, as before, then 1st BB - 2nd BB and upper level , then 2nd -3rd BB etc. until I have reviewed all lower level and testing material completly 2 man stuff I do when I can. Specialty seminar forms I do once a week and weights 2-3 X per week and cross train with Aerobic training 3-4 days per week , at times I assign a number system to a form for example a basic form may be a 1 and a test form may be a 5 I group them so I perform 1-7 # 1 forms and 5 # 3 forms and 2 # 5 forms so as to not over train the knees or Low back. So as I say I review everything weekly or Bi-weekly and try not to do it too "weakly" haha. I do this so I do not injure myself and get good training effect , I have found more injuries have occured in MA due to decond for upper level more demanding forms and then attempting to perform them while not being prepared for it. With this training method I avoid injury. or try to
    KC
    Last edited by kwaichang; 11-30-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

2. KC id love to see your breakdown of material you train....I have tried a few different training routines for the material but I havent found a groove yet.

I train all of the material up to 4th black and then I know all but 2 of the 5th black material so I have a lot to go over. Just havent found a good way to do it yet.

KFJ I typed for 20 minutes and lost what I had typed for you , I willl try again later KC

4. oh man.....thanks for trying and **** that sucks haha

Whenever you can man. I do appreciate it.

Also for you oldtimers...I have kuas 1-4 of GMT doing classical...anyone have 5-8? They are my worst kuas and I would love to have the source training materials...

Also...when GMT demo'd Buddha Fist (in a gym a long time ago....dont know more than that) did he change it much? I see differences from what I was taught but am not sure if it is just because it was a demo or if that was the way he actually taught it.

better yet...if i can send my notes from the form to someone who learned it directly from GMT id appreciate a critique of what is different and how.

If anyone is willing to help out let me know!

Also for you oldtimers...I have kuas 1-4 of GMT doing classical...anyone have 5-8? They are my worst kuas and I would love to have the source training materials...
    I might have them somewhere on tape. I will check first chance I get.

Also...when GMT demo'd Buddha Fist (in a gym a long time ago....dont know more than that) did he change it much? I see differences from what I was taught but am not sure if it is just because it was a demo or if that was the way he actually taught it.

better yet...if i can send my notes from the form to someone who learned it directly from GMT id appreciate a critique of what is different and how.
    If it is the demo I am thinking of, the way it did it was the way he taught it. I too have notices little differences along the way but for the most part, most do it pretty close.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

In a nut shell it goes like this Take the number of forms you want to train , give them a # system 1-5 , 1 easiest 5 hardest. For example 1st road of Hua may be a 4 on your scale and Sing Mien Tao Lien may be a 1 . OK if you want to work on 100 forms Pick the # of days you want to work on that form and how long a cycle is. For example If you want to do a 10 day cycle with 10 forms per day that is 100 forms, so on monday you will do a 1,2,5,1,1,3,5,2,2,3 and that is 10 forms, Notice that a 5 is repeated two times and not in succession. This prevents over training and allows effort with out too much fatigue. The #1 and 2 and 3 are progressive and contain different variables , such as A. Flexibility , B. strength ,
    C. Speed , D. Quickness, and E. Stamina these are the compponents that allow you to rank a form. I also like to train on like forms such as yellow belt tiger and Black Tigers and Mantis etc. togethor. PM me if you need to know how I do it further as this way is very individualized and hard to do . This will allow for progression as you can repeat each form 2X without the fear of too much over training and strain. KC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    In a nut shell it goes like this Take the number of forms you want to train , give them a # system 1-5 , 1 easiest 5 hardest. For example 1st road of Hua may be a 4 on your scale and Sing Mien Tao Lien may be a 1 . OK if you want to work on 100 forms Pick the # of days you want to work on that form and how long a cycle is. For example If you want to do a 10 day cycle with 10 forms per day that is 100 forms, so on monday you will do a 1,2,5,1,1,3,5,2,2,3 and that is 10 forms, Notice that a 5 is repeated two times and not in succession. This prevents over training and allows effort with out too much fatigue. The #1 and 2 and 3 are progressive and contain different variables , such as A. Flexibility , B. strength ,
    C. Speed , D. Quickness, and E. Stamina these are the compponents that allow you to rank a form. I also like to train on like forms such as yellow belt tiger and Black Tigers and Mantis etc. togethor. PM me if you need to know how I do it further as this way is very individualized and hard to do . This will allow for progression as you can repeat each form 2X without the fear of too much over training and strain. KC

So what kind of power training do you do? I work my forms for anywhere between 30min and 1 hour, then do either bagwork, kettlebells and pullups, and I try to do what I consider the best of them all I-chin-ching everyday. The I-chin-ching are very demanding and difficult to do correctly.

I lift weights 2-3x per week , do Iron Bone 6 days per week , stance training 4 days per week and Aerobic 4 days per week. I Chi Ching daily at lunch .
    The post illustrates a way to train with out over training and injuring one self. Havent yiou heard power isnt important HeHe KC
    Last edited by kwaichang; 12-02-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Seasons' Greetings

Hello all,

Been a while since I've been on. Work is a feast now, rather than a famine. I like the discussion of the physical abilities, or inabilities rather, as they relate to advancement. I agree that advancement shouldn't be an all-or-nothing proposition. If inability to do one particularly difficult move in a form could hinder advancement, then we'd also have to start demoting our masters as age renders them less physically capable. I don't know anyone who would suggest that their masters deserve such treatment due to physical limitation. Demonstration of solid conceptual grasp and physical ability to accomplish the concept seems to be the best standard by which to judge.

Speaking of judging, I'm still lowly and testing for my green this weekend. My stances are improving but I'm hoping that my inability to spend much time with my knees at 90-degree angles (being 6'5", 230lb, and having knee scopes take their toll) won't keep me from advancing.

Happy Holidays if I'm unable to visit again before they occur.

ON

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    Hello all,

Been a while since I've been on. Work is a feast now, rather than a famine. ON
    We want you on that wall. We need you on that wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

don't tell me we have ran out of things to talk about??
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

we are so close,,,,,,,,
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    we are so close,,,,,,,,
    ok, SD is made up and Kwaichang is not a real PT;

that should get at least another 20 pages for now...

but really,, does any have an idea what the other form at the spring seminar is going to be?

Blog Entries

Interesting find

I was reading the book "The weapons and fighting arts of indonesia" when I found something very interesting.
    This book was first published in 1972. On page 80 there is this particular paragraph that I really noticed. It says "Octogenarian Djie Siauw Foe of Semarang in central Java is a Kuntao master teacher, one of the last of the old breed."
    Now Master Hiang and Master Sin both mention that a master named Je shiao fu was a teacher at the school where they studied. This may substantiate that alot of the core material is legit.

Comments please