View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 739 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2396396897297377387397407417497898391239 ... LastLast
Results 11,071 to 11,085 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    QUOTE "but we certainly were not told the actual origin of the forms we were taught. Again, omission. For all we knew, the forms might have been invented by Su Kong, or Ie Chang Ming, or GM The himself. " I just looked at my notes of the history of Liu Hsing. There are 2 full hand written pages containing the history and origin and where it came from. Some of the lesser forms GMT may not be sure of where they originated so he doesnt bother. But most likely if you asked he would tell you. I feel it isnt enough to say the Black Tiger Forms are from the SDhang Tung area or temple everyone seems to want more and more. KC
    I dont want "more and more"...I just want something believable that conforms somewhat to verifiable history. If you learn something, there is usually a name, or a general timeline, or some other detail about when and how it was learned that could be related. I get the impression that in China, and Chinese martial arts, they take that sort of thing pretty seriously. Everyone has a story about who taught what to who and when. And almost everyone does eventually get back to a point where no one really remembers, and they have some legendary figure or place in there, like a nameless wandering monk, a famous general, or the shaolin temple. I guess it just bothers me that our legendary figure is only two generations back, at the beginning of the 20th century, when most other styles have four or five generations at least, going back to the beginning of the qing dynasty.
    Did the notes mention how, when, or from whom grandmaster Su Kong learned Liu Hsing? Or when he taught it to Ie Chang Ming, or when it was taught to GM The? Or is it the general history of the Liu Hsing style, with no mention of how it got into our own lineage? That's usually what our "history" stories were like...the general legend about the creation of a style or form, with no mention of how anyone in our lineage learned it.
    Everything we do is from an older, undocumented and unknown by anyone else branch of the various styles, which were preserved in temples across China, seperate but evolving parallel to the styles which left the temple and are known by other schools. No one outside knew about the practices going on in the temples, because martial arts had to be practiced in secret, lest the government learn of them and decide to destroy them again. We're the only ones who now preserve that knowledge. Is that the explanation for everything?

Like most people, I know I just have to resign to the fact that, for whatever reason, Ie Chang Ming, Sin The, or both, did not want to reveal the true origin of their knowledge. When someone asks me where I learned my martial arts, I'll say my lineage goes back to the Chinese community in Bandung in the early 20th century, and how it got there is lost to time.

(with a caveat, that I don't know who taught my grandmaster the 24 posture tai chi, 37 posture tai chi, or jian rong qiao bagua which I know, but I presume it was learned sometime in the late 1960's, after he had come to the US)
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Holy Cow!!!

You go away for a few days and a discussion breaks out. Thanks to Goju for stirring the pot enough to provoke what I think is the most frank discussion about SD since the origin of this thread (which is almost as old as SD). Thanks to Tensei85 for his injection of manners and common sense to the discussion. Thanks to Old and Used, One Student, Yeti, Wook, and others for having a discussion where differing views are heard and discussed intelligently and respectfully. Wook- good to see you back from semi-retirement.

I'm truly an old newb. At 37, I'm just a year and half into the system. Before that I brought only about a year or two of previous formal martial arts training to the table. However, having been involved in training (not martial arts) and curriculum development professionally, I will say that the SD curriculum is incredibly well designed. Wook made the point better than I could, but at third brown, I'm already seeing how the mechanics of the short forms, sparring techniques, ippons, SF techniques, and chin na, are present over and over again in the long forms. As wookie mentioned, the SD forms can get difficult and it really helps to have developed the muscle memory for the component parts of those forms earlier. Whether ST made this up or not, his organization of the art into this curriculum shows real ingenuity.

Notice in my last paragraph, I don't talk lineage at all. Like Wook, I don't go to class particularly to be part of a larger myth. I go for training, fitness, and comraderie. I do get a little uncomfortable when others ask what type of martial art I train because of the issues Wook illuminated. Still, I don't think a shaky lineage story spoils the whole system as some have alleged. If that were the case, half of TCMA would be forfeit. Most of the SD practitioners I've met are in good shape and can tussle pretty good. All that I've met (even the two-day warriors) are better than they would be if they'd done nothing at all and better than folks I've seen in the other KF school options in my area. You can ask for mor than that if you like but I don't.

Thanks all for the good discussion.

ON

Yeah, see what happens when you turn your head?

I remember a few years back, around 1970-1974 or so, when ST would remark that he had several instructors/masters even though he considered ICM his primary instructor. Just like we have more than one professor in college. He had also mentioned that he had another instructor, other than the sand burning teacher, that he had gone to an individual outside of the school to start learning Tai Chi. When he developed problems and had gone to ICM to fix it, he was then advised that ICM knew internal and that if ST had said he wanted to learn it he would have been taught. And then another line of instruction started. I also remember ST remarking even then that we were the largest single independent martial arts organization in the USA, if not the world. It seemed like he did not really care if someone wanted to dispute his roots. he knew what he had and was content with it. I liked that.

Thats Right

Old and Used I confirm what you just posted about GMT getting sick from studying Internal and ICM "fixing" him. Likewise I recall the part about ICM studying from others after leaving SKTJ so some of the holes will remain holes. You cant fill a spot with something you havent been told. Likewise I asked GMT once if he ever thought SD would ever get as big as it is? He said no but he is glad that so many want to learn what he has to teach. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

700 pages? Wow...

Thanks to Shaolin Wookie for a few remarkably well written posts, and kudos to everyone recently who's been participating in a controversial discussion with respect and dignity.

I remember bringing up the whole Cheng Man Ching and Jiang Rong Qiao connection with SD internal about 5000 posts ago (!!!!!). It's amazing how this thread keeps on coming around...but I think Shaolin Wookie put my own concerns in print better than I ever did.

Oh... waaaay back when, BQ extended an invitation to me to visit them in SD Lexington. I haven't forgotten about it. I actually might be in the general area in August, so I'll PM you if it might actually work! (caveat... I'm coming down to KY for some family camp, so I have no idea how I'm going to ditch the wife and kids for a stretch...)

KC...

Yes, you are right. I enjoyed my time with both brothers and would not trade it for the world. frankly, I am not as concerned about the whole lineage thing as i am about my own health and fitness. While the many techniques and forms I learned in SD may not be"genuine CMA", they sure do help me stay fit.

Best of luck to you.

Because I have nothing better to do at the moment.....

First off, Old and Used, good to see you again. I used to see P.W. from time to time but thought you fell off the face of the earth!

My take, as an old (ancient ) timer is that while some of these dissertation are well thought out and nicely stated, it appears that you are spending a lot of time and way too much effort worrying about the origins and lineages and such. To the point, the info you have is probably all you will ever get concerning SD.

From the people that actually took regular classes week in and week out from Master Sin and Hiang, all the stories just weren't that important. We wanted to A) learn not to get our a$$es handed to us in a fight and B) get in shape. SD for the most part accomplished this. Maybe if we hand pulled out a lineage chart and explained where we learned to fight to the fellow that was about to stomp us, they would have run in fear and avoided the fight altogether...we may never know.

I have noticed that there is a division, as far as importance of history goes, between the older people and the younger ones. Maybe its a case of once you have the confidence in your abilities, you no longer need to try to back it up with paper, so to speak. I think some will see as time goes by that different things become more important...maybe not.

Anyway, as someone that took classes directly from both Master Sin and Master Hiang for many many years, I can attest to the fact that most, if not all, of the time, they would tell where the forms came from, where they got ahold of them at and so on. 99% of the time though, we were like "cool, lets fight and see if it works" instead of taking better history notes. Our bad....
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger View Post
    I have noticed that there is a division, as far as importance of history goes, between the older people and the younger ones. Maybe its a case of once you have the confidence in your abilities, you no longer need to try to back it up with paper, so to speak. I think some will see as time goes by that different things become more important...maybe not.

Anyway, as someone that took classes directly from both Master Sin and Master Hiang for many many years, I can attest to the fact that most, if not all, of the time, they would tell where the forms came from, where they got ahold of them at and so on. 99% of the time though, we were like "cool, lets fight and see if it works" instead of taking better history notes. Our bad....
    Fair enough. In the end, none of it really matters. It's good to hear that the brothers shared such info, too bad no one remembers it or will ever tell those stories again. No one ever thought that maybe later generations of students would also like to know the history of their style? It's not important to you because they actually gave you some background...most of us later students were never told anything (besides fantastic legends).
    It's not about confidence in abilities, or proving anything to anyone else. For me personally, when there's something important to me I want to know as much about it as I can.
    If our tradition is really about taking whatever you can from wherever you can and making it work, I can handle that. Forget lineages and history, who cares where you learned it. If you see something and can derive some use from it, then it's yours, regardless of the source. The only "correct" way is the way which is effective in a fight, right?
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    no we should get onto the topic because sd dosnt not resemble south kung fu in the least theres no trapping low kicking etcetc that are characteristics of fukien styles

and now youve all been told different histories by your teachers lol

oh the humanity!!!!!!!!!
    What

When more information or history is given then more knowledge of the history is "needed" . Thus people are too concerned about whether the form cam from a Master or Joe Blow. To make themselves feel special by their knowledge of the style instead of the ability they have. I too wish that the history were more clear but am happy with what I know of the history and the knowledge I have. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Leto
    Fair enough. In the end, none of it really matters. It's good to hear that the brothers shared such info, too bad no one remembers it or will ever tell those stories again. No one ever thought that maybe later generations of students would also like to know the history of their style? It's not important to you because they actually gave you some background...most of us later students were never told anything (besides fantastic legends).
    In hind sight, yes, I wish I had learned every name and background and history of the things we learned. Then again, I also wished I had learned all the little things my father tried to teach me when I was in my teens. I could then answer all your questions and not have to pay a fortune to the plumber! Unfortunately, my priorities were much different at the time.

Also, let me add that what I was meaning to say was that when we took classes from Master Sin, there was a lot more time for all the info to come out. Just like in your classes now, there is more time for your teachers to talk a little and not have to try to get x numbers of forms out in a small period of time. But thats reality.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by Leto View Post
    Ok, so Su Kong traveled all over China, learning all the forms of martial arts from everywhere. That isn't really any more clear or sensible. I guess we just need to believe in the fantastic, so that we can achieve the same mythical heights one day, ourselves? We know the northern Shaolin temple was destroyed (yet again) during Chiang Kai Shek's northern expedition in 1926. When was the Fukien temple destroyed, that SKTJ was the "grandmaster" of? This hasn't been discovered yet, because it was a secret temple, and a secret mission to destroy it. The ones that have been discovered by archaeology are not really candidates, because they were destroyed much earlier, like the beginning of the Qing dynasty. What has been skewed? That's what I want to know, specifically. If everyone has got it wrong, and there's really a reasonable and good explanation, why can't we have it? I haven't heard it or read it yet, on any website.
    Hiang The's school site has the most reasonable of all, and even that has obvious glaring omissions, such as Ie Chang Ming being known as a master of the internal systems...yet who his teacher in the internal systems was is not mentioned. They also want us to assume that SKTJ learned all these forms of martial arts that existed in the mid/late 19th century, and had time to teach them all to ICM to the point of mastery. When was all this traveling and teaching suposed to occur?
    Some people have suggested that maybe ICM did some traveling of his own, undocumented of course, which accounts for the inclusion of many things in our style, and maybe he learned only the core of his style from SKTJ. Of course, we could never know if this is true, because he didn't tell GMT about it. And even if ICM was a master of the internal styles, I find it hard to believe that he learned the 24 posture simplified form created by the Chinese government sports committee in Beijing in 1956. He brought 24 back from Indonesia in the late 80"s ( not %100 sure of year) Likewise with Chen Man Ching's 37 posture form, which he created around 1946 in China, to teach later in Taiwan. Very common in Taiwan (some even call it 64.....had a Chinese girlfriend....she called it that first time she saw it) and also Indonesia...did not come from SK would have been easy for GMIe to pick up Maybe ICM knew the 83 posture old frame Chen form, that would make sense (always gave credit to 14th or 17th Gen. Chen master...changed who he gave credit to after 98 china trip to chen village...said GMIe's information was off)....Chen came from Shaolin anyway...but when and where did GMT learn the other two? Why not tell us that he learned them from someone else, if that's the truth?

Being from Indonesia, maybe it's just the way things are done. major secrecy among all styles & common in the area to say their the holders of the real TCMA...they also fight a lot over there Is there less of an emphasis on lineage and ancestors, and more on taking whatever you can find and making it work? Who cares where it came from: a longtime teacher, a seminar, a book, a video, if you're good and can make it work, then it's yours. The important thing is if you can win a fight, not who taught you. If you're strong enough and win enough fights, other people want to know your style, regardless of where it came from. Is that what it's all about? So forget about history and lineage...just make it work.

I'm just trying to figure out the mindset which GMT and his senior students must have about all this. Is it really just about money, and trying to make sure that they're offering as much or more than any other martial arts school/system (at least on paper)? The selling point in some cases I've seen is "We've got everything those other schools have, plus more...we're the most comprehensive, anywhere else you're only getting a tiny portion of what's in our system."

I actually like the content of the system, and wish we just had more information about where it came from and how it should be practiced.
    In all my years of SD I've had 2 main teachers GM Sin & EML...in addition I've studied under M. Hiang and got tons of help from all the masters in Lex. including EMS....what I've seen from all especially when they were in their prime showed me what I'm learning is real. Not superhumans....just tough and to the point.
    GM Sin & M Hiang were partners for years..... they were super fast and powerful and yes they could do some amazing things...not fantasy crap.....just pure power and speed.

One thing about the early years we didn't have enough forms to worry about where the he!! they came from. We just kick kick kick kick....punch punch punch punch......fight fight fight.....condition condition condition....GMS produced some tough SOB's.....he had us start beating on 4x4's at blue belts....I started with UK classes...$5 or $10 a month (sorry long time ago....really made a lot of money here)....gave us all our first few weapons (+ the 4x4's)

Shaolin Do.......THE WAY OF SHAOLIN
    Last edited by Baqualin; 05-21-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    Think of these points:

Regarding M Hiang "admitting" something, and GMT "not", regarding multiple teachers. I've never heard GMT or anyone else ever say he had only one teacher ever for anything. We know he is also a black belt in judo, so he has told us he had more than one teacher. So to say he has denied what M Hiang has admitted, to my knowledge is not accurate.

And, if someone were to ask me my lineage, I'd have to give my most direct instructor who I studied from up to BB, then his teacher (GMT), then his (ICM), then his (SKTJ). Although I have had at least three or four or more black belt/master level instructors in SD, including both GMT and his brother, kind of horizontally rather than vertically. Saying HIS "teacher" is ICM, doesn't necessarily mean he didn't have others, too. Does anyone know that GMT has actually, explicitly said, he learned everything from ICM and nothing from anyone else? Ive never heard that.

Also, I was never told that "our" Pa Kua (Classical) was THE Pa Kua invented by Tai Hu Chang (or whoever). We were told, he invented "pa kua," and then we were started on a "classical" form of it. I think at first, I didn't know there were other forms of pa kua, not because that was what I was told, but because I didn't know any better. Someone else, who didn't know any better, might in fact imply that the first Classical Pa Kua we were taught was THE ORIGINAL Pa Kua. Actually it's known as "the Original form" in most circles....A Jerry Allen Johnson utube video list it as Tung Hai-Ch'uan's Pa kua (different strokes for different folks) I don't blame that on GMT. And later, other versions of pa kua come out to supplement the Classical. I've got a book by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming listing tons of different versions and forms and derivatives of the original pa kua. No one ever told me the first one was the original.

Same for tai chi. What others have called "our" tai chi, is clearly not JUST "ours." We were taught the history of tai chi, and then taught a basic common tai chi form. No one ever told me it was the original tai chi form invented by the originator. Then later more tai chi forms are given to us, which is probably wise: the basic common stuff first: Tai Chi 101, before the higher levels.

And the same for other stuff.

And, my most direct teacher told me many times (one of GMT's first students ever), that he knew well there was more to even that pa kua, and tai chi, but as he put it, "Why do the same moves over and over just to get a couple variations?"

And here's something I'm pondering: many imply that GMT goes somewhere, learns a form, and then gives it to us, whether it be from a book or whatever. If it was from another PERSON, why isn't that person blowing the whistle? If it is from a book that anyone can get, where is the book? Does anyone have any text for the four Golden Leopards? How about the Meteor Fist? And as for the tai chi and pa kua, for example, resembling other stuff that is basic and readily available, eventually, what is to say that doesn't mean they have that common thread to another source? I'm not ready to say it does or it doesn't, I'm just not ready to assume the worst.

Also, I remember, when for example we were first taught The Five Direction Palm and the Connecting Fist and the four Black Tigers and the Kwan Tao, the three White Crane, even the three Birds from M H, we were told to now go out and teach them to others. I hope that didn't cheapen those I taught it to, because they didn't get it from the source. Yes, I'd rather have learned it from GMT, or MH, and I have been fortunate to do so. Heck, if I had my wish I'd go back in time and beg ICM to teach it to me, or lets go really wild, from SK or the Temple myself. But none of us can do that, so we get what we can from who we can, and hopefully the best we can.

So, acknowledging that GMT knows a lot more about martial arts and fighting than I ever will, if he learns something from anywhere, and is then willing to pass some of it on to me, good for me.

Ok, so there could be a moral problem if in fact he says and the student believes it is something he learned only from ICM who only learned it from SKTJ who only learned it inside a Temple in China. But I don't accept that is what I have been told about any particular form or system, although that is probably true for some of it. Although 1 + 1 = 2, some people insist on making it 3.

And I have had at least five other teachers in five other systems -- TKD, Judo, ninjitsu, Karate (kind of, it was a hybrid system "made up" by its local master, from a combination of karate, Kempo, and kung fu), and also a traditional kung fu system. In some of those schools, I knew who the teacher's teacher was, in some cases met them, in some not. Some I can't say I knew or asked or cared. Maybe naive, but I wanted to know, "What do you have, and what can you teach me?" And like with SD, those questions were answered. Even if others were not.
    I have yet to find our Snake Pa Kua, 8 Animal Pa kua ( there's a seperate Pa Kua for each of the 8 animals), or Dragon Pa Kua anywhere else.
    BQ

Thanks BQ for the helpful replies. I don't have a beef with calling the CMC yang form 64, or 37.... it does have 64 actual moves. Was the 37/64 form the first internal form GMT taught to you guys, back in the 60's?
    I just wondered if GmT learned it from someone other than ICM, since it's popularity and spreading may have come later than the time GmT was studying with ICM regularly. Someone else mentioned that GmT had gone to someone else to learn tai chi, and then came back to his master. Could he have learned the CMC form at that time, before being taught the other internal styles by ICM? Maybe ICM, or Indonesia in general, is different, but my experience with longtime teachers/masters is that they have their style, and pretty much stick to it. If he already knew a form of tai chi and other internal arts, why would he bother learning and including a new short form into his curriculum when it came along in the 50's or 60's? I mean by that point, he had been teaching for quite a number of years, with already a vast amount of material. Then again, it seems like the tradition of this style was to learn anything and everything that you see, and include it. The story of Su Kong reenforces this attitude as a tradition, whether the story is true or not. If that's the attitude he passed on to GMT, I can see why we have so many forms.

Golden Tiger...

Nope, didn't fall off the face of the earth, just got older and wandered off. Yes, PW is a good man and I like him. Hard worker.

Hope you did not misunderstand my post regarding linage. When I wrote "genuine" I used the quotation marks to reference what some others had said. Personally, as I wrote previously, I enjoyed my SD time, both brothers, my classmates and would not trade those experiences for anything. It did not and does not matter to me where the art came from. As far as I am concerned, Sin Kwang The' is a superior martial artist to any I have ever seen and have absolutely zero issues with what he was gracious enough to show me. If that does not indicate my feelings about GMT and his art, I do not know what else to say.

Thank you for your earlier response. Nice to hear from the "old" guys.