View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 73 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475831231735731073 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

At least the CSC still has their videos up. I think someone about 50 pages or so ago was asking about the Sin The' clips. Click the "Grandmaster" link for Sin The' doing a preying mantis form (I think). Only the Hi-Speed links are working.

http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=13

I was looking for that other pic of Su Kong to sort of back up what TWS is saying. The one where he is shirtless. It's my understanding that picture is cropped to remove a bear biting Su Kong's arm, which would suggest a circus background.

As far as I know, Shaolin never used bears to train iron body.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    As far as I know, Shaolin never used bears to train iron body.
    Nah, the bear was his sparring partner. They used Tigers for Iron Body, silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Third picture down.

http://www.centralshaolin.com/cshaol.../history2.html

Has anyone ever seen a photograph of Ie Chang Ming? Why are there always photos of Su Kong and not of Ie?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Third picture down.

http://www.centralshaolin.com/cshaol.../history2.html

Has anyone ever seen a photograph of Ie Chang Ming? Why are there always photos of Su Kong and not of Ie?
    Apparently, Ie preferred portraits. One of his "collegues" was a painter. That's the only picture you ever see. I don't know why.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen
    Apparently, Ie preferred portraits. One of his "collegues" was a painter. That's the only picture you ever see. I don't know why.
    Maybe he was superstitious about his picture being taken. I'm not superstitious about it but I HATE it for whatever reason. Maybe he just felt the same way about it. I'm not photogenic, everytime there is a picture of me taken it comes out wrong. Maybe he figured his painting collegue could do better. Nobody really has any proof.

-Will
    Hippies can't stand deathmetal - Eric Cartman

Not yet anyway.

ah yes shaolin-do, the art where you get to worship scooby-doo and a painting. excellent.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

Shaolin-do Rulz!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Fred Sanford; 03-05-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

For some of you is your problem with Su Kong T'ai Djin that you do not beleive one man could learn all that SD claims?

As for Fred, just looking at some of your post it seems as if you have problems with people with disorders. Their are people who can help you with that kind of thing, just take that first step and admit to your problem.
    The stronger you become in mind and body the more responsibilities you must endure.

I think part of their problem is that there's no objective evidence of Su Kong's existance outside of SD and that no one could "master" all that SD claims. Learn, maybe but not master any of it.

Similar story, different names

I think part of their problem is that there's no objective evidence of Su Kong's existance outside of SD and that no one could "master" all that SD claims. Learn, maybe but not master any of it.
    To find Concrete Proof of existance for someone who did not leave the temples much and was abandoned by his parents as a baby would be difficult to find. I can see that. But it doesnt mean that he did not exist.

I do think that there are very few people that could do it but to say that no one could "master" all that SD claims to me seems a little closed minded. Which is ironic because SDers seem to be the ones who are being called the closed minded ones.
    The stronger you become in mind and body the more responsibilities you must endure.

I suppose that it depends upon your definition of "master". For some, that would be a lifelong pursuit of a single martial discipline. None of the historical (or current) SD grandmasters would be able to make such a claim. The theoretical ability to learn such a vast amount of material hinges upon a somewhat murky claim of "sixth sense training". At the same time, people in SD consistantly refer to GM Sin teaching out a form after "checking out his notes", which hurts the credibility of that particular claim. If you're a master of a specific style, you would not need to refer to documentation. I am CERTAINLY not saying GM Sin is not a master of his specific and favorite forms/styles...the man moves with amazing grace (though I've not seen him since his recent surgery), but I sincerely question whether having personal notes from a time when you learned something (perhaps even FROM a person who studied it exclusively) allows one to claim to be a "master" of that style.

I can understand the resentment. Some sders are saying, "My Grandmaster is also a Master of YOUR style...not to mention almost every other Chinese style. What's your instructor been DOING all this time? "
    Keep it simple, stupid.

When people invest a lot of time into something, and then discover they've been duped, that is an extremely hard pill to swallow.

gloating from the fringe does nothing to ease their anxiety, and if they are capable of kicking the crap out of performance wushu people, they are forever on teh edge of not knowing and stay there. Precariously hanging on in the hope that they could be right and wrong at the same time.

this describes the attitudes of most martial arts schools except for the cut and dried ring fighting schools which are not concerned in teh least with masters, lineages, styles etc and only on winning a place on the mat.

food for thought, not that mma is better, but In my opinion, traditional martial arts is in dire need of some fixing up, in many cases it is as attractive as an old painted *****. NOw for someone who ain't never got none, even that is appealing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I can see where the resentment comes from if some SDers are saying that GM Sin The' knows more about their style than their master does. Statements like that are just from peole who are asking for a fight. Every system/style has people like this in it. That is like a bunch of kids saying "My daddy can beat up your daddy". And these claims are probrably from students who have the same mentality as a 6-8 year old child, at least in this area.