View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 311 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 2112613013093103113123133213614118111311 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread but I've been following it for a couple of months now... very entertaining. I just want to throw in my two cents about the whole testing thing now that I actually have an opinion on a topic being covered.

I've been practicing Shaolin-Do kung fu for over 5 years now, and my attitude whenever I tested had been that this was my chance to shine; to show off, and whenever I felt I wasn't ready to test then I would inform my sifu and I would be tested a later time. I think the reason why so many students seem unprepaired and nervous is because they're not ready to test yet, but feel pressured to do so. It's like they're afraid to be ostracized by their fellow students if they stay behind a belt level, kinda like grade school. But this isn't the focus of the kwoon; nor should it ever be. Students are attracted to our school like any other martial art schools: to learn and better themselves and they should realize the only person they're competing with as far as learning new material and progressing to higher belt ranks is with themselves. So what if your buddy that you joined SD is a belt level or two higher, that doesn't mean he's better than you or that your a lousy student. It just means you need more time to grasp the forms and know them intimately enough to progress to more complex ones. So should students fail testing if their forms aren't up to snuff? Absolutely, but it should never get that far. The sifu as well as the student should know well before the actual test if he/she is ready to and it's up to the student once testing has been scheduled, to practice consistently and step up the intensity to insure they not only pass, but more importantly know the material. After all, that is what you're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the thread but I've been following it for a couple of months now... very entertaining. I just want to throw in my two cents about the whole testing thing now that I actually have an opinion on a topic being covered.

I've been practicing Shaolin-Do kung fu for over 5 years now, and my attitude whenever I tested had been that this was my chance to shine; to show off, and whenever I felt I wasn't ready to test then I would inform my sifu and I would be tested a later time. I think the reason why so many students seem unprepaired and nervous is because they're not ready to test yet, but feel pressured to do so. It's like they're afraid to be ostracized by their fellow students if they stay behind a belt level, kinda like grade school. But this isn't the focus of the kwoon; nor should it ever be. Students are attracted to our school like any other martial art schools: to learn and better themselves and they should realize the only person they're competing with as far as learning new material and progressing to higher belt ranks is with themselves. So what if your buddy that you joined SD is a belt level or two higher, that doesn't mean he's better than you or that your a lousy student. It just means you need more time to grasp the forms and know them intimately enough to progress to more complex ones. So should students fail testing if their forms aren't up to snuff? Absolutely, but it should never get that far. The sifu as well as the student should know well before the actual test if he/she is ready to and it's up to the student once testing has been scheduled, to practice consistently and step up the intensity to insure they not only pass, but more importantly know the material. After all, that is what you're paying for.
    you have a good outlook. keep up the practice and enjoy.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

What They Said

Well said Lamassu. I too see a rank advancement test as a chance to demonstrate my knowledge and skill at that point in my training. IMO MA study is a mostly personal journey, and the truest competition is with one's self. One of my goals in MA training was to become a black belt. I've done that. Now my goal is to continue perfecting that knowledge. I am no longer concerned with rank. It is not what rank you hold, or how many forms you can remember, it is how well you understand and apply what you know. JMO. Peace.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    Hi everyone,

You've spent your 5 years well
    BQ

Thanks. It feels good to 'talk' with other SDer's again. I moved up to Chicago from Austin last year and I miss the friendly atmosphere at the North Austin kwoon and especially the San Marcos kwoon. I never realized how good I had it in central Texas until I moved into a state with no SD kwoon whatsoever. The nearest one is in Indiana, but my work schedule doesn't really give me time to travel. No classmates, no sifu or master to guide you, it's a lot harder to keep up with your material without the usual trappings of a martial art school. At least Master Schaefer gave me the go ahead to open one up here in Illinois. In the mean time I'm practicing my forms wherever and whenever I can.

Can you imagine all the weird looks you get when practicing your kung fu in a public park?

Lamassu I think I know you PM me KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Hints for attacking

Alright...I'm constantly having to spar higher ranking black belts at my school. I can hold my own on the defensive, because I'm good at protecting my line. It's really easy to turn a defensive stance into an offensive maneuver. For me, however, it's a lot harder to take the offensive/attacker position straight from the start. Now, I know I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to attacking certain ranks, but I compete hard, and am extremely good at stepping and dodging (i.e. footwork). My opening moves are generally feints, which allow me to mix up the attacker/defender personas two opponents generally take.

I'm kind of aggressive in a way. I'm not all hyped up and spastic, like some guys. I'm really cool and collected, but I go straight in, looking for any open head shots or opportunities for chin-na/sweeps to get the fight over with ASAP. Problem is, every higher ranking student takes a defensive position and awaits an attack. This leaves me at a disadvantage. I always have to open the match. I'm not expecting to go in and whoop a third/fourth degree, but it'd be nice to keep from getting whooped right off the bat. My opening movements always seem to leave me too open. Anyone have any solid tips for how to open a fight? (I do internal/external [same thing in my opinion] so I'm open to tips from both sides.) And please don't recommend a kick to open--that doesn't work for me, and I don't think that I ever want it to---I'm really not into kicks unless they're in the middle of a combo, aiming for the stomach/lower ribs.

Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Alright...I'm constantly having to spar higher ranking black belts at my school. I can hold my own on the defensive, because I'm good at protecting my line. It's really easy to turn a defensive stance into an offensive maneuver. For me, however, it's a lot harder to take the offensive/attacker position straight from the start. Now, I know I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to attacking certain ranks, but I compete hard, and am extremely good at stepping and dodging (i.e. footwork). My opening moves are generally feints, which allow me to mix up the attacker/defender personas two opponents generally take.

I'm kind of aggressive in a way. I'm not all hyped up and spastic, like some guys. I'm really cool and collected, but I go straight in, looking for any open head shots or opportunities for chin-na/sweeps to get the fight over with ASAP. Problem is, every higher ranking student takes a defensive position and awaits an attack. This leaves me at a disadvantage. I always have to open the match. I'm not expecting to go in and whoop a third/fourth degree, but it'd be nice to keep from getting whooped right off the bat. My opening movements always seem to leave me too open. Anyone have any solid tips for how to open a fight? (I do internal/external [same thing in my opinion] so I'm open to tips from both sides.) And please don't recommend a kick to open--that doesn't work for me, and I don't think that I ever want it to---I'm really not into kicks unless they're in the middle of a combo, aiming for the stomach/lower ribs.

Thanks....
    hi there ...

try to put yourself in what appears to be a bad position by throwing a punch stepping in or what ever you can do that will cause a certain reaction from your training partner. this might cause them to "do" something and then you will have your chance to take advantage. lead them into your idea instead of letting them lead you into theirs.

another thing to try is to cause them to pay attention to one thing while you do another ...

keep up the hard work.

best,

b
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

Are the feints not working for you or are you just looking to add more to your repertoire? If they aren't working maybe you're not selling them well enough. Or maybe you're becoming too predictable? =/ Have you tried occasionally striking with the technique you're feinting? What's that saying in poker? You can't bluff if you've never had a winning hand? Something like that. Just a thought.

Try to keep the pressure on your opponent. If you're not doing it already, throw multiple sets of combinations/ techniques every time you move in to attack.

Since you're good at "stepping and dodging" have you tried adapting your attacking techniques to include moving around your opponent. I get a lot of my applications from the 3 birds and with the exception of a few direction changes theyseem like pretty linear forms....to me anyway. But even something as simple as a hook/elbow/chop from Lo Tien (sp?) can add a new demention to your game. What if instead of just raising your knee up to protect the groin and body for the "hook/elbow", then step forward for the chop, you step forward and swing your rear leg out 90 degrees. Now all of a sudden your sqared up to either his side or back which could set you up for your next attack. I realize everything I'm saying is pretty elementary but it's really just a segue to my next point...variation.

Decide on an opening attack and come up with multiple variations of it from the same starting position. That way you become more unpredictable to your sparring partner.

I have one other note. My personal experience w/ feints is that the harder the level of contact I go the more effective my feints have become. I think there's something about wanting to avoid getting hit in the head that makes people over-commit w/ their blocking.

Disclaimer. This only pertains to my personal experience w/ sparring. I really have no idea if any of it would work in a real fight. Though a guy I practice w/ occasionally like to really go at it.

Just wanted to wish everyone including trolls a MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS OR WHAT EVER YOUR INTO.....PEACE TO ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Just wanted to wish everyone including trolls a MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS OR WHAT EVER YOUR INTO.....PEACE TO ALL
    peace too you and yours too ... merry christmas!
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    Amidst hostile men

I can answer the hair question...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    You ever see a 79-year-old that had naturally dark hair?
    My Korean grandmother was in her 80's and her hair was black. And there's no way she ever dyed her hair.

I don't believe in "feints" in the traditional sense. Every technique and combonation should be thrown so that each technique is intended to land with maximum force; however, you should maintain proper balance and body control so that you can modify a technique midstream into a better technique for the circumstance that your opponent is presenting. Often times I throw a straight punch just to change it into a hook at the last opportunity or a punch is quickly withdrawn into a block so that me second hand in the combonation takes lead. But I always throw the first punch with full intent. Ok, I always *try* to anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinGirl View Post
    My Korean grandmother was in her 80's and her hair was black. And there's no way she ever dyed her hair.

I read that those of Celtic heritage also go grey later as did former President Ronald Reagan.
    My Great Uncle was mostly German and retained his black hair, all of it and his teeth into his eighties. On top of that, he was an alocholic, spent time in prison for killing a man in a bar fight over some woman, in the 1920s till somtime in the '30s when prison wasn't as nice as it is now. And never married. Hmmm.... I wonder how much of the later had an influence on how he aged.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

I'm just looking for more opening moves

My favorite technique to open with is the reverse punch/front snap kick (left hand, right foot) combination so prevalent in the short forms and China Hands....or hell, the sparring tech #5, I guess. Sometimes I'll throw the kick, sometimes I'll keep it chambered for a knee trap in case the opponent thinks he can shoot a kick into an opening. Anyway, the threat of the kick is enough to throw a lot of people off guard (they've got to contend with two weapons). These work okay, because I have a lot of options once these attacks have landed (thanks to the short forms/china hands)...

But they're not really that successful against experienced fighters. Like I said...I've got to play it aggressive b/c I'm the attacker (I do like playing that role---I just don't want to become 1-dimensional in my press). The highest martial artists in my school just love to sit back and wait, and I'm not sure I want to have them on the attacking tip....they're just too good.

I'm really just trying to get a pool of ideas I can play around with in order to be a better attacker. My defense is fine. And yeah, I know they're the same thing, ultimately. But real skill comes with time and experience. I guess I'm just asking for tips from experience.