View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 906 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4068068568969049059069079089169561006 ... LastLast
Results 13,576 to 13,590 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

lie jhin yan

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Any one have any thoughts on this ??
    the foto that you mention is Lie Tjin Yan tao kun master

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kuni I was not sure . I thought it might be either Lie Tjin Yan or
    Tjip Pho Liang Kie . Picture Circa Summer 1966 taken by W A Fuller
    So what's the history on this guy?

Each was the leader of their own style of silat that was influenced by
    traditional Chinese Martial Arts:
    Both were traditionalists in training. Hard fast unrelenting workouts.
    No mats, floors soft rugs....beaches, river areas, mountains ,stream beds
    just where ever you were you worked out.
    Both were great fighters in their own.
    Both were versed in many Chinese & Indonesian weapons
    So I have been told

OTD
    is look like that you do alot of research indonesian chinese martial arts?
    can you tell me more about tjip pho liang kie story?
    Last edited by kuni; 04-01-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Old guy with a sai...
    Dude I thought it was a pic of you????
    Yes sir, the check is in the mail!

Which Lo Pan, huh? Little old basket case on wheels or the ten foot tall road block?!

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    Dude I thought it was a pic of you????
    Nah I left my glasses at home...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Anyone ever read the really old SD book "Shaolin Karate" by the The' bros (spiral binding)?

Well, it's pretty shabby. The authors tell most of the same old stories, and even less convincingly if you can believe it, but GM Sin notes in the book that GGM Ie became an opium addict after crossing over to Indonesia. GGM Ie's old Kung Fu bros. who came over with him in exile to Indonesia, or a little afterwards, helped to "rehab" GGM Ie by building a kung fu school and encouraging him to teach.

Now, I'm not going to throw my fistful of stones at this glass house, mostly because SD's windows are already broken, but it does sound at least interesting and is perhaps the one "human" (as opposed to "superhuman") story that SD has told in its sixty years in America.

If I was banking on truth, this would be the one true-sounding story. Ironically, that book is the only place SD has bothered to put the story in print. I've never heard of it elsewhere.

Of course, the book also mentions GGGM Su Kong, and says GGM Ie was using opium to deal with the psychological harrows of killing the Reds that burned down Fukien. I don't know if I buy that explanation, but the opium bit is interesting.

Makes you think: a fantastic Shaolin Wookie kind of story might be a concoction of a recovering opium addict, or perhaps a story used to cover up what might be seen as a weakness in one of the MA patriarchs of Bandung's Central Plains Wushu. I'm no expert on Chinese tradition and culture, so I don't know how families would deal with an issue like opium addiction (using "cover-up" stories or whatnot), but opium was a huge problem at that time throughout China, esp. southern China, even though it had been pretty much "outlawed" by many public leaders in the previous century. I've been studying the Opium Wars lately as a historical hobby, so I find this little factoid interesting.

It's a shame, though, that this story disappeared, if it is in fact a true story and not just another instance of SD's ****amamy balderdash. Just think: A recovering opium-addict, a lifelong Chinese martial artist looking for assylum from Communist oppression in China, using kung fu as a barrier from self-destruction and (by and large) the most widespread drug problem of his age (thanks in large part to British trafficking)--that's a rather inspiring story.

It might, ironically, have been the only one worth telling, if you get my drift.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 04-02-2010 at 05:47 PM.

BTW, I'll cite a section of it if you want the story. Don't buy the book, unless you want to color all the little cartoon pictures. You've heard the rest of its (non) sense before.

Well, whenever we learn a move in a form that is near impossible to do correctly we call it a pipe move because Master Ie must have been smoking opium when he taught that move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

good one JD.. GM SIN has told that story many times that i have heard, in seminars and such.. and i don't train under him directly very often so i would think most have heard it if they have been around any time at all
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Well, whenever we learn a move in a form that is near impossible to do correctly we call it a pipe move because Master Ie must have been smoking opium when he taught that move.
    HEY JP....how's the wife & kids!!!!!
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    HEY JP....how's the wife & kids!!!!!
    BQ
    Hey BQ. Wife and kids are good. We are expecting our 2nd in August. Right now I'm in the process of buying a new home and we are scheduled to close on it at the end of this month so things are busy! How have things been with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Hey BQ. Wife and kids are good. We are expecting our 2nd in August. Right now I'm in the process of buying a new home and we are scheduled to close on it at the end of this month so things are busy! How have things been with you?
    Things are going pretty well now! Had a rough 2009 due to the economy....made a major career change and have pulled out of it now....not one to sit around and wait for the handouts....got to help pay for those who do. HAHA!!
    BQ

Thanks Kuni I was not sure . I thought it might be either Lie Tjin Yan or
    Tjip Pho Liang Kie . Picture Circa Summer 1966 taken by W A Fuller
    yes lie thin yan. this is the teaching at the school of lie thin yan

Level 1 (similar to basis school/training/education)

Sam Koan = Onderdeel (sub part) 1 to 12

Deel (drill) 1 to 12 contains the system of single (one attack/defend)

Deel Knife, breathing exercises and inner strength exercise and meditating/philosophy

The basic (walking, stance (kuda-kuda), position, hitting, blocking, kicking, moving etc.)

Level 2 (similar to high school/training/education)

Liu Koan = Onderdeel (sub part) 13 to 24

Deel (drill) 13 to 24 contains the system of double (two attack/defend)

Weapons (Pole/stick solo and together) and little bit of sparring

Level 3 (similar to university school/training/education)

Kiu Koan = Onderdeel (sub part) 25 to 36

Deel (drill) 25 to 36 contains the system of triple (three attack/defend)

Weapons (broad/moon sword solo, double sword solo, spear solo, sai’s (tjabang) solo, sword to pole fight, Pole to Sai fight, Pole to Pole fight, Sword to spear fight, spear to Pole fight Pouw (real close combat)

Deel = also named as drill/pasangan/part/twe-ta (two person fighting set)

Onderdeel = sub part (two person executing/performing set of the basics with sticking hands), the student learns how to block/strike kick/sweep etc. from a firm stance and walk.

Pouw = Pouw = 108 elimination techniques, each deel contains minimal 3 variations of elimination techniques, so 3 x 36 = 108. But in principle there are more.

Dao Quan is the same as Tao Kun, Dao means Tao and Quan is Kun the only difference is in what language it is spoken, mandarin or kantonese. For example in the Hokkian dialect they use the name Kuntao or Taokun but in other provinces they use the name Dao Quan.

The tai chi is in this system named thay kek en is from the system Li-wang. Hsing I is in hokkian language Heng ie koan en is also Xing Yi Quan. Taokun is part from Lay kee Koan and Lay kee Koan is the branch from Heng Ie Koan and under Heng Ie are a lot of different styles.

Lie Tjhing Yan brought Taokun to Surabaya Indonesia because he had to run from Makassar because he had killed a kungfu master from I believe Singapore in a fight/contest with one blow. So he teached privately Mr. Liem Khe Ien and other people from Surabaya and so Taokun was born in Surabaya.

lay ke kun= nei cha cuan

Huh???

whats this all about??

Anyone have any info on the Golden Tiger form being taught in Phoenix???