View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 649 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1495495996396476486496506516596997491149 ... LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,735 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

i just want to ask something, we talk a lot about skills and so forth, but i would like to ask when was the last time YOU (anyone) had to defend themself and at what level of defense did you have to go???
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Most on here talk a good game but do not use their skills for real KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku
    just want to ask something, we talk a lot about skills and so forth, but i would like to ask when was the last time YOU (anyone) had to defend themself and at what level of defense did you have to go???
    About 30 years ago when I was in high school....and I went all out! baIIs to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    Most on here talk a good game but do not use their skills for real
    I have used my skills and training for the last 30 years......which is why I haven't had to defend myself since.

EDIT:

I take that back. I had a students return after a few years, been off to college, bounced at few bars, thought he was the shizzle. He asked for a private lesson after the regular class, mainly to see if the "Charles Atlas Book of Body Building" he got out of the back of a Archie comic had done him any good.

Anyway, we went at it a while, mostly light, then he tagged me. Hard! Really hard!! So then I did turn up the heat, beat on him a bit, ended up putting him in an arm bar and making him yell "Uncle" (I really did! Trying to make light of the fact that he hadn't eaten enough Wheaties that morning)

Long story short, he left and I haven't seen him since. He's probably out there, planning his next line of attack.

So to answer the question: About 16 years ago and I would think I was at a 6 on my super-duper skill level.
    Last edited by Golden Tiger; 05-25-2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: More info
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    i just want to ask something, we talk a lot about skills and so forth, but i would like to ask when was the last time YOU (anyone) had to defend themself and at what level of defense did you have to go???
    College about 12 years ago. A drunk guy took a swing at me which deflected and locked his arm behind his back and held him down until campus police arrived and arressted him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

High School.
    I didn't want to fight but it wasn't up to me. My older brother wrested for Trinity HS in Louisville and would wrestle with me and I had five brothers anyway and that is how we played.
    I did a double leg to a fireman's carry to a slam. He didn't want to fight anymore. We were in the snow along side the road when I slammed him. Saw him a couple of years or so ago and he brought up laughing at himself wanting to fight me and getting slammed. Time does change things.
    Oh, I still don't go looking for a fight. I may disagree with someone but I don't lose my cool wanting to fight.
    Now I do think that some on here post as if they were still in High School with their chest out trying to prove whatever These internet challenges are so sophmoric. Gene may think he has a bunch of middle schoolers on here instead of adults.
    I just don't get it .
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Bm2

Its quite simply EGO some on here are wrapped up in Lineage, who they know or who they trained . They seem to think if the know or trained a great fighter they are a great fighter. NOT. All are not interested in fighting though and are great Martial Artists. They just arent proven but then many dont care. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

be careful how you use it

whups

linkee no workee vintage Hai Karate commercial

Holy Cow

So I just now finished reading the entire thread. I know. I know. I have no life. I should be training. Work is feast or famine for me and I'm starving now. So, since I can't train at work (they might have me committed if I did), I'm left to read the annals of the "is SD for real" thread. Plus, I don't want to be the guy who asks a question only to be accused of being lazy because I didn't see the answer 347 pages ago. Then MK would say "STFU Noob" and my feelings would be hurt. Of course, now that I've said this MK will still say "STFU Noob" because he's the king of the one-liner. Funny how reading four years worth of discourse makes you feel like you know everyone a little.

Anywho, a while back Mas Judt was exploring a potentially revelatory theory on the Do then he got busy and couldn't go into it. Something about trying to nail jello to a tree. So obviously I have time for jello nailing. Mas, if you don't have time, pass the torch and we'll pick up the research. What do you say?

Shut up Noob. It was jelly.
    No really, it was jello? Now it makes sense
    At least you didn't read Willowsword and I can't recall his name thread. I read it all and didn't look at the end 'cause it would be like reading a book and then jumping to see how it ends. Well I'll save you a day out of your life by telling you that it doesn't tell you how it ends. I even sent a PM to Willow Sword and he didn't tell me. UGGHhhhh I felt like someone pulled the football away again just as I was about to kick it. Oh yeah, if this post doesn't make sense it was due to me being stuck in traffic and taking 3.25 hrs to get home tonight. I lost some brain cells from all of the exhaust.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    So I just now finished reading the entire thread. I know. I know. I have no life. I should be training. Work is feast or famine for me and I'm starving now. So, since I can't train at work (they might have me committed if I did), I'm left to read the annals of the "is SD for real" thread. Plus, I don't want to be the guy who asks a question only to be accused of being lazy because I didn't see the answer 347 pages ago. Then MK would say "STFU Noob" and my feelings would be hurt. Of course, now that I've said this MK will still say "STFU Noob" because he's the king of the one-liner. Funny how reading four years worth of discourse makes you feel like you know everyone a little.

Anywho, a while back Mas Judt was exploring a potentially revelatory theory on the Do then he got busy and couldn't go into it. Something about trying to nail jello to a tree. So obviously I have time for jello nailing. Mas, if you don't have time, pass the torch and we'll pick up the research. What do you say?
    Congratulations on finishing the thread. I'd go back and have an IQ test just to make sure it didn't drop a notch or two in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Noob View Post
    So I just now finished reading the entire thread.
    and so now feel free to go out and commit as many mortal sins as you like: an eternity in He1l will seem mild by comparison...

Is it a bad thing...

that I feel more capable of passing a "Is Shaolin Do for Real" cast of characters personality and history quiz than of passing a quiz on the facts concerning SD?

Remember my

Shaolin-do the Musical Post? Oh my those were good times.

I never did finish Part 2 to that Musical,lack of funding and interest. As you well know it takes a VERY long time to make a Musical or MOVIE or anything

Peas,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I go away for nearly a year while I get married and move back to Canada and stuff and this thread is still on the first page of the Shaolin Kung Fu forum! Give it kudos for longevity.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.