View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 694 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1945946446846926936946956967047447941194 ... LastLast
Results 10,396 to 10,410 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    ...... notes , the ones that are handed out at the seminar, are only one sided. I did my best to reconstruct them. Please correct them or if I have missed or need to change. I am going to do the Chinese translation for them as well.

1. Getting Ready Position
    2. White Crane Flies to the Edge of the Sky
    3. White Crane Spreads It’s Wings
    4. White Crane Raises the Knee and Kicks
    5. White Crane Salutes the Buddha
    6. White Crane Turns, Knees and Kicks
    7. White Crane Kicks Back
    8. White Crane Knees, Leans Back and Front Kicks
    9. Vicious Tiger Back Kicks the Enemy
    10. Three Kicks of the White Crane
    11. White Crane Guards the Cave
    12. White Crane Guards the Nest
    13. Vicious Tiger Looks Back
    14. White Crane Spreads It’s Wings
    15. White Crane Knees , Kicks
    16. Green Dragon Grabs the Rainbow
    17. White Snake Jumps Over the Twig
    18. Wild Tiger Raises It’s Head
    19. Golden Dragon Stretches It’s Claw (R)
    20. Golden Dragon Stretches It’s Claw (L)
    21. Golden Snake Whips It’s Tail
    22. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    23. Vicious Tiger Closes the Door
    24. White Snake Comes Up to the Water Surface
    25. Golden Snake Whips It’s Tail
    26. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    27. Green Dragon Catches the Rainbow
    28. White Snake Jumps Over the Twig
    29. Golden Dragon Opens It’s Claw
    30. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    31. Green Dragon Tests It’s Claw
    32. Black Leopard Climbs the Tree
    33. Green Dragon Stretches It’s Claw
    34. Green Dragon Swings It’s Claw
    35. White Snake Climbs Over the Twig
    36. Golden Leopard Bounces the Ball
    37. Golden Leopard Rolls the Ball
    38. Golden Leopard Strikes the Ball
    39. Green Dragon Stretches It’s Claw
    40. Wild Tiger Raises It’s Head
    41. White Snake Jumps Over the Twig
    42. Golden Dragon Opens It’s Claw
    43. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    44. Green Dragon Snatches the Pearl
    45. Black Dragon Stretches It’s Leg ( L)
    46. Black Dragon Stretches It’s Leg (R)
    47. Black Leopard Twist It’s Neck
    48. White Crane Spreads It’ s Wings
    49. White Crane Strikes It’s Wings
    50. Golden Dragon Opens It’s Claw
    51. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    52. Green Dragon Sinks to the Bottom of the Ocean
    53. Green Dragon Looks at the Sun
    54. White Crane Strikes Out with Both Wings
    55. White Strikes Out With It’s (L) Wing
    56. Green Dragon Sinks to the Bottom of the Ocean
    57. Green Dragon Looks at the Sun
    58. White Strikes Out With Both Wings
    59. White Crane Strikes Out with It’s (R) Wing
    60. Wild Tiger Pushes the ( Hua ) Mountain
    61. Vicious Tiger Nods It’s Head
    62. White Crane Jumps Over the Twig
    63. White Crane Smashes It’s (L ) Foot
    64. White Crane Stands on One Leg
    65. White Crane Defends the Cave
    66. White Crane Defends the Nest
    67. White Crane Smashes It’s (R) Foot
    68. Green Dragon Catches the Rainbow
    69. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    70. Green Dragon Catches the Rainbow
    71. Green Dragon Stretches It’s (R) Leg
    72. Wild Tiger Looks Back
    73. White Crane Spreads It’s Wings
    74. Golden Dragon Grabs the Rainbow
    75. Golden Leopard Twists It’s Body
    76. White Crane Opens It’s (R) Wing
    77. White Snake Comes Out of the Hole
    78. Black Dragon Turns the Body
    79. Golden Dragon Reveals It’s Claw
    80. Black Dragon Whips It’s Claw
    81. Black Dragon Turns the Body
    82. Golden Dragon Reveals It’s Claw
    83. Black Dragon Whips It’s Claw
    84. Black Dragon Turn the Body
    85. Golden Dragon Reveals It’s Claws
    86. Black Dragons It’s Claw
    87. Green Dragon Comes Out of the Ocean
    88. Green Dragon Come Out of the Ocean
    89. Black Leopard Play with the Ball
    90. Black Leopard Play with the Ball
    91. Golden Leopard Looks at the Moon
    92. White Snake Jumps Over the Twig
    93. Golden Leopard Scratches It’s Back (Three Elbows)
    94. White Snake Looks at the Road
    95. Green Dragon Comes Up from the Sea
    96. Twin White Cranes Raise their Heads
    97. White Snake Throws It’s Tongue Out (Spits Venom?)
    98. Hungry Tiger Strikes the Lamb
    99. Hungry Tiger Strikes the Lamb
    100. Hungry Tiger Strikes the Lamb
    101. Hungry Tiger Strikes the Lamb
    102. Hungry Tiger Strikes the Lamb
    103. Green Dragon Comes Up From The Ocean
    104. Green Dragon Comes Up From The Ocean
    105. Green Dragon Comes Up From The Ocean
    106. Green Dragon Comes Up From The Ocean
    107. Vicious Tiger Closes the Door
    108. Vicious Tiger Turns It’s Head
    109. Black Leopard Strikes (Stomps) the Ground
    110. Golden Snake Strikes Out of the Willow Tree
    111. Green Dragon Comes up From the Ocean
    112. Poisonous Snake Blocks the Road
    113. Poisonous Snake Blocks the Road
    114. Poisonous Snake Blocks the Road
    115. Poisonous Snake Blocks the Road
    116. Vicious Tiger Closes the Door
    117. Wild Tiger Looks Back
    118. Golden Leopard Hangs from the Tree Branch
    119. Golden Leopard Salutes the Buddha
    120. White Crane Leaps, Kicks Behind
    121. Green Dragon Comes Out of the Lake
    122. Move Back and Ride the Tiger
    123. White Crane Knee And Spread the Wings
    124. Double Snakes Jump Over the Twig
    125. White Snake Salutes the Buddha
    126. Vicious Tiger Salutes the Buddha
    127. Green Dragon Salutes The Buddha
    128. Conclusion of the Form

Curious as to why most people throw these away. I find them to be very helpful and valuable. I am missing a few from various forms but have most of the ones that were released or I have made reconstructed copies
    When did Shaolin create this 5 Animal Form (year, naster & temple)? From my understanding of Shaolin Martial Arts there was and is no such "Original Shaolin 5 Animal style/form". 5 Animal was not created in Shaolin or by Shaolin. Furthermore, it has never been archived that Shaolin trained or had a 5 animal form/style until this last decade with China trying to build Shaolin kung fu as the birth of all martial arts... Anywho, not preaching here. It's, to many people use the Shaolin name to give credit to their art or themselves. Oh well, thought I would throw that little piece of info out there.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by peace&love View Post
    I have been training in little over a year in SD. I researched a number of other systems and schools, and the local SD school best fit my schedule. I also liked the fact that the internal arts were taught and practiced there as well. Unfortunately, I have had a recent incident that has left me puzzled and disappointed. Feedback in regards to this would be helpful.

Previous to SD, I trained in Hung Gar and Choy Lee Fut. We played "sticky" hands and feet regularly and did controlled sparring without gear that was very intense at times. Last night, I played hands with someone who is getting ready to test for a black belt. They did not do well against me and proceeded to strike me in the chin with a fist, which I let go as a mistake. Looking back. it was on purpose I think out of frustration. As the process continued, the person gave me three cheap shot to the neck before reconnecting hands. Since this person is much younger than me, I informed them that they should never do that again. It is against the rules and etiquette of this training technique. They were basically cheap shots. Once I informed the person of this, he stormed out of class threatening to beat me up etc. Please keep this in mind; he's doing this outside the classroom leaving the building without approaching me. I feel like something should be done in regards to this matter. At my old kwoon, this could be call for expulsion due to the disrespect factor. If this person is allowed to continue and tests for black at this point, I would be highly disappointed due to his current emotional state of mind and maturity level. Anyway, any thoughts or views would be greatly appreciated. Peace.
    I think the real tragedy here is the fact that the guy you mentioned is getting ready to be awarded a black belt. That is a school problem. IMO they are doing that student as much of a disservice as they are everyone else who currently holds and trained hard for a black belt.

I have been training in little over a year in SD. I researched a number of other systems and schools, and the local SD school best fit my schedule. I also liked the fact that the internal arts were taught and practiced there as well. Unfortunately, I have had a recent incident that has left me puzzled and disappointed. Feedback in regards to this would be helpful.

Previous to SD, I trained in Hung Gar and Choy Lee Fut. We played "sticky" hands and feet regularly and did controlled sparring without gear that was very intense at times. Last night, I played hands with someone who is getting ready to test for a black belt. They did not do well against me and proceeded to strike me in the chin with a fist, which I let go as a mistake. Looking back. it was on purpose I think out of frustration. As the process continued, the person gave me three cheap shot to the neck before reconnecting hands. Since this person is much younger than me, I informed them that they should never do that again. It is against the rules and etiquette of this training technique. They were basically cheap shots. Once I informed the person of this, he stormed out of class threatening to beat me up etc. Please keep this in mind; he's doing this outside the classroom leaving the building without approaching me. I feel like something should be done in regards to this matter. At my old kwoon, this could be call for expulsion due to the disrespect factor. If this person is allowed to continue and tests for black at this point, I would be highly disappointed due to his current emotional state of mind and maturity level. Anyway, any thoughts or views would be greatly appreciated. Peace.
    Hey P&L,
    Something will be done if this person continues this behavior......disrespect is not tolerated in our school and if I'm not mistaken your studing in Tenn., M. Mullens will not tolerate this either.....attacks out of frustration tells me this person has issues....you apparently have more experience with playing hands and he should have respected that and learned from you.....since he's not above Black.....he's still very green in SD and has alot to learn. Discuss this with an upper level....if it continues! Hopefully he will cool down, think about it and apologise.....if not he's headed for an a$$ kicking and will be kicked out....happens alot.
    BQ

[QUOTE=Judge Pen;896546]
    Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post

That's not hard to get, when you've been that bad for that long.
    At least the only way we can go is up and were finally doing that.

I've never had much direction in my life. I guess in the end all that i ever wanted with SD was to feel like i “Belonged”. I never wanted to create any drama for myself in that school, but because of who i am and how i was raised, i facilitated it anyway. It put people off, and as a result i had difficult times generating the kind of social life i had wanted. Growing up with abuse and being confused about who i was supposed to be as a kid and how i am supposed to be as a young adult put the pressures of thinking that anything that i did or said or how i looked or the way i walked would be thought of as weird or stupid or it would turn people off and i wouldnt have friends. So as a result i “tried too hard” and got myself into situations that were stupid, childish and very immature and i am embarrased for it. I wished i had more guidance,but i have this problem of not trusting anyone. I dont think that my time at SD was all that bad ,but i wished that things had been different. I dont blame SD or Sin The' or Joe Shaefer anymore for the things that happened in that past. I dont care about the history or what i think i discovered and i dont care about feeling betrayed. I dont think i was ever betrayed by those people. I only betrayed myself,and i am embarrased because of it. The way that i am is hard to take at times,my mental and emotional and physical armor is like an eggshell, you can try to squeeze it and break it from end to end and it wont break,but you face the weaker side to people, as i always seemed to have done, and it breaks with ease. But there is a valid reason why i have been the way i have and the attitudes i have exhibited. Its my own problem. I just want to say to you all that i am sorry. Im sorry for everything. Im sorry i offended you Joe. Im sorry i offended you Sin the'. Im sorry i offended you SD. Please find it in your heart, if any of you even think about it still, to forgive me. I wished i was better able to live up to the standards that you and others tried to set for me.
    Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Blog Entries
    It takes guts to express your feelings and ask forgiveness. I don't know you but I hope you get the forgiveness you seek. But above all else, forgive yourself, learn and grow.
    Peace

It is good to see someone take responsibility for their actions, whatever they may be. The hardest thing for someone to do is to forgive themselves. Please forgive yourself if you have not yet and move on in a positive direction. As mentioned earlier in one of my posts, I recently had an incident with a negative human being that has really disillusioned my views towards my school and has placed me in a very reflective state. Yet, I am thinking positive and looking ahead to good things whether it be with SD or elsewhere. Your post has helped me with my own views. An apology goes a long way. It means a lot to a person who receives it. By doing what you did, you have created a road to better relationships, self confidence, and humility. I wish you nothing but happiness and positive energy. Be well.

What do you guys think of the performances in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi0fnD3hXqo

I think the cat with the chain looks pretty good.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

Nice find MK. One of the best representations of SD material that I've seen on the web. Thanks for posting it. Not all of the performances were spectacular, but none of them outright sucked IMO either.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword View Post
    I've never had much direction in my life. I guess in the end all that i ever wanted with SD was to feel like i “Belonged”. I never wanted to create any drama for myself in that school, but because of who i am and how i was raised, i facilitated it anyway. It put people off, and as a result i had difficult times generating the kind of social life i had wanted. Growing up with abuse and being confused about who i was supposed to be as a kid and how i am supposed to be as a young adult put the pressures of thinking that anything that i did or said or how i looked or the way i walked would be thought of as weird or stupid or it would turn people off and i wouldnt have friends. So as a result i “tried too hard” and got myself into situations that were stupid, childish and very immature and i am embarrased for it. I wished i had more guidance,but i have this problem of not trusting anyone. I dont think that my time at SD was all that bad ,but i wished that things had been different. I dont blame SD or Sin The' or Joe Shaefer anymore for the things that happened in that past. I dont care about the history or what i think i discovered and i dont care about feeling betrayed. I dont think i was ever betrayed by those people. I only betrayed myself,and i am embarrased because of it. The way that i am is hard to take at times,my mental and emotional and physical armor is like an eggshell, you can try to squeeze it and break it from end to end and it wont break,but you face the weaker side to people, as i always seemed to have done, and it breaks with ease. But there is a valid reason why i have been the way i have and the attitudes i have exhibited. Its my own problem. I just want to say to you all that i am sorry. Im sorry for everything. Im sorry i offended you Joe. Im sorry i offended you Sin the'. Im sorry i offended you SD. Please find it in your heart, if any of you even think about it still, to forgive me. I wished i was better able to live up to the standards that you and others tried to set for me.
    Peace,TWS
    Hey WS,
    Glad to here from you again....... your aways welcome here!!!! Everyone goes through bad times mentally and physically....life is tough and we get knocked down constantly, but we have to stand back up and keep going. Two things EML told me after the end of my 19 year marriage...."don't worry about where you've been.....don't worry about where you are now......just think about where your going from here.....that's the only thing you can do anything about". the other was, "you may feel like your dying now....but there's life after death" People do care about you and wish you well.....if you learned anything about SD is that we really do care.....all the people who give us flack have realized that were pretty good people.
    Peace be with you TWS,
    BQ

Always welcome to look me up when your in the area!!

Not bad..Master Reid looked really good. I didn't think much of the internal demos though.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Not bad..Master Reid looked really good. I didn't think much of the internal demos though.
    BQ
    Is his Tiger/Crane a good display?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Is his Tiger/Crane a good display?
    I'm much better at seeing the internal, since thats all I've done for years now.....but based on his size I thought it look good and he seemed to move without thinking about what came next in the form...he flowed naturally and showed intent with each move. I'm sure a T/C specialist would pick at it......but Master Reid is a really big guy...that handles his size very well.
    BQ

Hey MK,
    My bad...I went back and looked at the vid again....I realized the T/C demo was sifu Smith & not Master Reid.....I still liked it and he's a big guy too. Master Reid is doing our Dragon Pakua form...missed it first time through....I did like the way it was done....rest of internal didn't really like.
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 11-24-2008 at 11:39 AM.

I have thought about this for a while which means I should have waited a little longer before responding to this post.
    Everyone has a ego and by relizing that, you can keep it in check.
    You hurt his ego, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Just kidding.
    Don't put so much about him into your class. Really, it doesn't take anything away from you. You will continue to run in to people like him through life as well as in class.
    A black belt just means you can do the basics.
    About sixteen years or so ago, a fourth degree black belt asked me to help him stretch against the wall. He was doing the side stretch with his head down by his knee and asked me to put his leg against the wall. He then said " I can stretch fully but can not side kick as high as this. I took this as asking for an explanation and responded, " You don't kick with your head down by your supporting knee and that is how you are doing it, if you want to stretch for a side kick, put your shoulder to the wall and stand sideways to me." When he did, he could only get his leg up about a 40 degree angle. I said "See, you have been doing it wrong and this will help you kick higher."
    He didn't like getting his leg up so low and asked to stretch him the old way with his leg against the wall and his head down.
    At the end of class, he announced to everyone that he was going to spar me. I, being a little slow, didn't know that I had hurt his ego and he was going to try to put it on me. He went hard and I didn't think nothing of it as that is how some spar and I had never sparred him before. He ripped my shirt and he seemed to be a little embarssed and apologized for tearing it. We were not wearing gi tops.
    I couldn't care less about him as he does not affect me. I say hi when I see him but don't buddy up to him.
    Last edited by BM2; 11-24-2008 at 06:53 PM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching