View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 932 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 4328328829229309319329339349429821032 ... LastLast
Results 13,966 to 13,980 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

900..... now it is done.... my keyboard kung fu is great
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    i hope everyone had a great christmas and got a lot of new training equipment
    I got some sweats & stuff...

Gotta Kimber a few months back... +5 for damage...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Lucky you - but do you know the apps for it?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    maybe stoneheart got a gift card to a new chinese place.....
    Naw man... I'm a fuddy-duddy... gimme Chinatown & I'm happy. Hong Kong styled Duck & Pork, Dim Sum, Dao Miew, Chow Mei Fun, etc... and I'm all sorts of happy. No gift card needed.

I did have some beef jerky a couple weeks ago in NC & thought of you living on it in passing...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

where do you hei hu black tiger come from?

do you know the lineage?

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti View Post
    Did anyone ever disprove my late night theory about Shaolin-do having a circus background? Hope JP and everyone from SD I met are doing well.
    Here's that old idea (took me all day to dig it out of the archives):
    think Su Kong Tai Jin was in a circus. I think he studied at "the" Southern Shaolin Temple and when the temple was destroyed he went out into the world and made his way as best he could. Therefore, the photos were setups put together by the circus to publicize. I think Su Kong offered more than "just" wolf-boy appeal, I think he performed iron body feats (thus the pic of a bear biting his arm) and perhaps other "unbelievable" feats made possible by his previous training. I also think that GM Ie travelled with the same circus. Learning from Su Kong as they travelled. I have read that accompanying the letter promoting GM Sin to 10th GM Ie writes, "In the early time, I traveled everywhere in China to learn Martial arts, and had been up to North Korea. It has been 50 years since I moved down to south. I had been through a lot of tough times. But when I looked it back, I surely had a lot of unforgettable memory." Hmmm...travelling everywhere even to northern korea, learning martial arts. What better way to travel than in a circus...perhaps surrounded by folks of like mind?
    Circus-type "masters" pop up several times in the SD literature.
    One, in the SDA manual, speaks of "the strongest man in China" who GM Sin maintains was his hero and travelled with a circus. He died in London, exchanging blows with his English equivilent. The story stresses how he would tense before each blow, like our Three Unit Tension form...laughing at the fellow's attempts, until the Englishman caught him unaware. Next it points out how he struck and withdrew quickly, as we are supposed to do in our short forms. This was a man trained...at LEAST partially...in a style similar to our own.
    Next was the story of GM Sin visiting Bali. GM Ie told him to visit an "old colleague" Ji Shou Hu. Here's a portion of that story:
    "Upon arriving in Bali, Grandmaster Sin was happy to find that Ji Shou Hu was giving a public demonstration. It is well known that the chain whip is one of the most difficult Shaolin weapons to master. Ji Shou Hu's demonstration he went a step further than most. He preformed the chain whip swings while riding a bicycle. The crowd was amazed as he showed his complete mastery of the chain whip. This included "hopping" the bike up and spinning the whip underneath. For the finale he approached seven women holding Chinese coins between their thumb and forefinger. Remember that Chinese coins (yuan) have a whole in the center. Ji Shou Hu began snapping the whip toward the women with incredible speed. When he finally stopped, he held the whip up for the audience to see seven coins pierced and stuck on the pointed tip of his chain whip. At this point the audience went wild. The crowd then quieted as Ji Shou Hu raised the whip handle and extended his Ch'i power into the weapon. The Whip began to straighten out horizontally, one link at a time until finally the entire chain whip stood straight out from his hand. At his command the whip fell limp again at his side."
    Is it hard to imagine such an act being worked up in a circus by a person who'd already mastered chainwhip in kung-fu training? Later in the story it is revealed that Ji Shou Hu was also a Master of our short forms.
    Other masters of the school, alongside GM Ie, that I've heard mentioned include: Qui Gwong, Chi Gong, and Gi Shiao Fu. Note the similarity of the name Gi Shiao Fu to Ji Shou Hu...sorry, just noticed that myself. Maybe the Master eventually moved to teach at GM Ie's school. In any case, these small facts (perhaps a few others) have led me to my pet theory.
    It's possible that this portion of SD's history isn't mentioned because some folks might feel it lacks a certain dignity. Su Kong and GM Ie living in a cave would certainly be more in keeping with the legends of old and their way of doing things...but I love this theory. Hope no one is insulted, and that at least someone finds this interesting.
    you are so close to truth. so close.

Actually a lot of Chinese martial arts have connections to circus

And I'm not just referring to Shaolin at the Circus. Historically, CMA has been connected to performance for dynasties. In fact, that's one of the points that the latest scholarly work, Chinese Martial Arts by Peter Lorge, sheds a lot of light upon. There's no disgrace for CMA masters being connected to circus. In fact, there's a tradition of it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    you are so close to truth. so close.
    I like Radhnoti's theory. Old Man do you have some information that might shed some light on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I like it too, it was interesting to read Gene's linked article. I hope everyone's training is going well. Have to admit that I'm not surprised to see that some things never change...and this thread has become a real monstrosity.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

6 years and 4 months

A quick search shows 6 years and 4 months since my last post.
    Amazing that this thread is still going and going strong.

This thread deserves an award!

Good to see the "usual suspects" are still here.
    Badges?
    We don't need no stinking badges!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I like Radhnoti's theory. Old Man do you have some information that might shed some light on this?
    i have all the history and fotos of your teachers teachers

are these items things you could share with the group?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

i have shared some with one of your member already. i will tell you that you have a real good system from a long line of great master. your tree was verified at the temple by the old monk there and the current holder of the book. i will share with you sometime yes.

well that is very interesting, all i truly know is how much i enjoy and have benefited from my taining in SD so thats all that is important to me but i do really enjoy seeing pics and history