View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 557 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 574575075475555565575585595676076571057 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,355 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    As a lawyer, JP, your objective is to prove a point of view, regardless of the facts. I'd like to envision you as a young Atticus Finch, ready to put the hairy-monk b!tch-slap on the criminal element.
    Hey Mas,
    Considering your background in Indonesian Martial Arts, we should be able to get into some very interesting conversations regarding the history and development of CMA as related to SD or Shaolin in general. I'm curious to hear what you've seen and learned in your studies.
    BQ

You know, repeating the same action over and over again and expecting a different response is a definition for insanity. However, when talking to the mentally challenged, you can simply exhaust yourself. So I'll politely ask people to just go through the thread before I go insane or get just bored.
    Good decision. Let them seek out your truth-thumping in past posts. That's exactly what I was trying to get you to do.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

tiger comparison for sd folks

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=48751

pay attention to after the 55 second mark. enjoy

There was a great 'scholarly' article written in JAMA some years back that detailed eitimology of MA terms in the 'Nusantra' (Indonesia/Malaysia) - it also classified the types of CMA found.

Like anywhere there is really good stuff and really bad stuff in Indonesia. There is also:

CMA that kept to itself within the Chinese community

CMA that added JMA influence (because the teachers did not teach openly)

CMA that added IMA influence (Rare)

CMA that got absorbed directly as a 'new' style of Silat (such as Nanquan turning into Mustika Kwitang.)

Unfortunately, it is very hard to offer up an analysis of SD, as so much of it is 'borrowed' material, much of it contradictory, and taught incomplete (much like Modern wushu in some regards - that is NOT a slam.)

It was not uncommon for certain schools both in China and Indonesia to become 'forms factories' in order to string along students. However, the disparate nature of all the content is very unusual - at least according to my research/experience.

It would be very interesting if we could contact related schools in Indonesia.

more later.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

There was a great 'scholarly' article written in JAMA some years back that detailed eitimology of MA terms in the 'Nusantra' (Indonesia/Malaysia) - it also classified the types of CMA found.

Like anywhere there is really good stuff and really bad stuff in Indonesia. There is also:

CMA that kept to itself within the Chinese community

CMA that added JMA influence (because the teachers did not teach openly)

CMA that added IMA influence (Rare)

CMA that got absorbed directly as a 'new' style of Silat (such as Nanquan turning into Mustika Kwitang.)

Unfortunately, it is very hard to offer up an analysis of SD, as so much of it is 'borrowed' material, much of it contradictory, and taught incomplete (much like Modern wushu in some regards - that is NOT a slam.)

Not taken that way

It was not uncommon for certain schools both in China and Indonesia to become 'forms factories' in order to string along students. However, the disparate nature of all the content is very unusual - at least according to my research/experience.

I would like to see more on this.....you used the word was?

It would be very interesting if we could contact related schools in Indonesia.

Yes it would.....there's mention in some of the Indo. publications of one of GMIe's colleagues who was teaching Tiger Crane to a Silat school (info sharing between a group of schools) I have more info on this if I can find what I did with it.

more later.
    sdgkloinponeb

You are correct, it still is.

Forms training is not the real 'kung fu.' Had this conversation with a Modern Wushu guy once, it drove him nuts.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Forms training is not the real 'kung fu.' Had this conversation with a Modern Wushu guy once, it drove him nuts.
    I understand its a component of kung fu training, but not the "end all be-all" of kung fu training. But your statement seems to imply that its not even a component of "real kung fu". Care to elaborate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Forms are nothing more than a grouping of different hands. Its no different than a boxer stringing together jabs, hooks, and uppercuts with proper footwork. Practicing the form alone would not make you a boxer however all the techniques you need to become one are in there. So IMO forms training is an important PART of kung fu training but not kung fu training as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    Forms are nothing more than a grouping of different hands. Its no different than a boxer stringing together jabs, hooks, and uppercuts with proper footwork. Practicing the form alone would not make you a boxer however all the techniques you need to become one are in there. So IMO forms training is an important PART of kung fu training but not kung fu training as a whole.
    The boxing-to-kung fu analogy is not apples to apples.

A lot of kung fu forms contain moves that have absolutely no fighting application at all. Some moves are just for balance training, some are for exercise, and some are symbolic. Besides some real applications are so hidden that the form does not resemble the application at all.

When a boxer shadowboxes, all his techniques are 100% about fighting and look exactly like their application.

Didn't Bruce Lee say it best when he compared just doing forms to practicing swimming while on land?
    And wasn't he far ahead of everyone else with MMA? I read (sorry,don't recall the actor's name) an '80s IKF article with his nemesis in Enter The Dragon,they both wanted to have grappling in the final fight scene but it was impossible when the actor had to wear that claw. Too bad that Jean Machado wasn't around back then.
    Last edited by BM2; 11-02-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    The boxing-to-kung fu analogy is not apples to apples.

A lot of kung fu forms contain moves that have absolutely no fighting application at all. Some moves are just for balance training, some are for exercise, and some are symbolic. Besides some real applications are so hidden that the form does not resemble the application at all.

When a boxer shadowboxes, all his techniques are 100% about fighting and look exactly like their application.
    If you look at the basic concept, they're both apples. Every part of a form has purpose or it would not be in there. The purpose might be to develop leg strength or balance but each is a requirement to be a good martial artist. I could have expanded upon my analogy to include different aspects but I didnt' feel it was necessary to get the point across.

A boxer trains the jab, it trains the hook, etc.... just like we should train different hands 'outside of the forms'. You have the form, you see the technique, now drill it outside the form so you can use it against a restiting opponent. Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    If you look at the basic concept, they're both apples. Every part of a form has purpose or it would not be in there. The purpose might be to develop leg strength or balance but each is a requirement to be a good martial artist. I could have expanded upon my analogy to include different aspects but I didnt' feel it was necessary to get the point across.

A boxer trains the jab, it trains the hook, etc.... just like we should train different hands 'outside of the forms'. You have the form, you see the technique, now drill it outside the form so you can use it against a restiting opponent. Agree?
    I agree . To expand on what you were saying , a boxer, when shadow boxing, bobs, weaves, does different footwork, etc. more than just punch. It ALL is meant to be transfered to fighting.

They are both apples , just different kinds of apples.

I would say that this is one of the problems with traditional arts, the applications and the way that the information is transfered is more or less lost. I personally believe that the forms should not be taught until last.( in some cases not at all).

All of the basics , conditioning, techniques, drills , applications , etc. should be taught first . The forms are just catalogs of the material . I believe that they are useful,just misunderstood.If the forms were taught /used the way they were meant to be, we would not be having this conversation.

Most students ( even teachers)who practice/teach forms do not know how to break them down and distinguish between what is used for application, conditioning, symbolism, etc, just like MK said. But this does not mean that they are not valuable or important to the training.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 11-03-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: just cuz

Human Weapon:Kung Fu

On History channels's Human Weapon:Kung Fu episode...The Police kungfu demonstrated a front snap kick we SD'ers use. I loved the power-demo- breakdown. 1000 lbs. of force? Nice.

Also, halfway through the program @ Dengfeng, they show footage of the Chinese Army in the early parts of 20th century performing Block/Punch"Short Forms" very nearly as is done in Shaolin-Do! Nah, couldn't be.... Ah, Viva la Validation!

"Fall down seven times, Get up eight!"
    "Let's get the hell out of here" - J. T. Kirk. in City on the Edge of Forever

"you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, PUNK?" Harry Callahan

"Mens Sana In Corpore Sano"

Follow the advice of Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly, but carry a big stick".

"Regulate the breath, and thereby control the mind."
    -- B.K.S. Iyengar

Quote Originally Posted by ricardocameron View Post
    On History channels's Human Weapon:Kung Fu episode...The Police kungfu demonstrated a front snap kick we SD'ers use. I loved the power-demo- breakdown. 1000 lbs. of force? Nice.

You mean you guys do toe-kicks to the face too? Wow, I guess Wushu isn't the only style that breaks KF fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    You mean you guys do toe-kicks to the face too? Wow, I guess Wushu isn't the only style that breaks KF fundamentals.
    No, we don't do toe-kicks to the face. GM The' once said--"It's a toe-kick. Duh! You kick the toes with a toe-kick." We only do butterfly twists to the face while wielding a judo katana.