View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 28 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038781285281028 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

When you guys getting up here MS?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

XMA SUXORS!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Is Shaolin-Do for real?

I'm new to the world of Kung Fu and have a questions? Is the systen known as Shaolin-Do real shaolin kung fu???

doh!

Shaolin-do real? Here's what's real. There's a little search button at the bottom of the page. Reset your window so you can see all the posts from the beginning and plug in Shaolin-do. You'll get plenty of leads. Plus check out the main forum since there's an active thread on this topic there.

Since you're new, we won't chastise you for starting yet another Shaolin-Do thread, but please, don't start any more.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

No, it is not Shaolin kung fu.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

dont listen to them. chewbacca knew what he was doing and sin the is teh ownerage.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

lets not forget all the other styles that are of shaolin heritage as well:

Hung Kuen
    Choy Li Fut
    Wing chun
    Preying Mantis

subsets of these and many more.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

chewbacca knew what he was doing and sin the is teh ownerage.......
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Originally posted by Siu Lum Fighter
    http://www.shaolin-do.com/masters/index.shtml
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Oh, Chewbacca! You mean Su Kong Tai Tjin the wolf man himself. I'll admit that he must have had some beastmaster type skills. But is Shaolin Do really original? I mean, they wear gi's and have a karate style ranking system for peets sake.

And 900 forms?! Just like at Omei and other schools, it's traditionally accepted that there were ten core forms and then all of the offshoots from those.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

SD is original, but I can go out and make up my own stuff and call it JP-do and it would be original JP-do, right? It's exact origins are subject to much debate (Gene's "search" idea is a great one.) We don't need yet another thread on it's history and origins. The reasons for the Japanese trappings have been debated ad nasium with nothing proved. The number of forms--heck I don't know what a "form" is and what GM The knows and doesn't know. Could it be creative accounting? Maybe, the only way I would know is if I counted him doing the forms.

Do a search, read all the debate and PM me if you still have questions. Otherwise these threads start to get ugly and redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    The reasons for the Japanese trappings have been debated ad nasium with nothing proved.
    Actually, I proved the law outlawing Chinese Martial Arts in Indonesia was passed in 1965, which sort of puts a kink in the whole SD timeline.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ght=Indonesian
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Actually you proved a "national" law passed at that time. We weren't able to determine if there were local ordinances or regional bans were in effect prior to 1965. I actually e-mailed Davies and he did respond, but he didn't have any specific information on regional bans but indicated it could be a possibility. Where did I put that e-mail. . . .
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Now now...don't be a revisionist.

Why would a group of CMA practcioners, dedicated to preserving Shaolin Martial Arts from the Fukien Temple, stay in one city that banned CMA and made them alter their Shaolin traditions when they could simply move to another city and practice freely?

I'm not being a revisionist, we talked about that topic when you mentioned the law. And SD never specifies what type of discriminatory law forced the change. Heck, for that matter they don't specify when they changed.

And wouldn't it be easier to wear a gi than to move to a different city?