View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 667 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1675676176576656666676686696777177671167 ... LastLast
Results 9,991 to 10,005 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    What type of internal training do you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    There's a lot to internal systems.....most have healing aspects......
    Hsing I. While it's very much a healthy system (in terms of how much the body is worked both inside and out), I'd never call it a healing system.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    The implication was the doctor was saying mkrii could do tai chi because it wouldn't be too strenuous while mkrii was recovering. My point is the "internal" system I do would actually be harder on the body than the "external" stuff I do, so it would be the thing I should actually avoid while recuperating.
    Baqualin.......I think what the doctor was meaning was it wasn't going to be like kicking or punching a solid object like a heavy back or sparring that could possibly jar and damage the fused vertibrae. Baqualin, you might know this doctor (actually the P.A.. He studied SD here in Lexington back in the 80's. I can't remember his first name but his last name is Kibble and he is at the U.K. Clinic. Do you know or remember him?

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Baqualin.......I think what the doctor was meaning was it wasn't going to be like kicking or punching a solid object like a heavy back or sparring that could possibly jar and damage the fused vertibrae. Baqualin, you might know this doctor (actually the P.A.. He studied SD here in Lexington back in the 80's. I can't remember his first name but his last name is Kibble and he is at the U.K. Clinic. Do you know or remember him?
    Hey Mark,
    I new what he meant....wasn't questioning you....I have a Tai Chi for the back....but you should wait until your healed...then start your rehab.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Hsing I. While it's very much a healthy system (in terms of how much the body is worked both inside and out), I'd never call it a healing system.
    Neither did I.......there's a difference between a system and aspects of a system........I don't look at Hsing I as healing..... I spoke only of certain types of Tai Chi & Baqua
    BQ

internal training is always important

It's great just to hear fellow martial artists talk about the importance of internal training. You won't find that conversation in most karate or Take Your Do schools. Internal arts is one of the great things about kung fu.

All one can really do is what the doc tells you on a surgery recovery, especially if it is sport related. I have had two major injuries from training and I specifically went to a sports med physician. On one of the injuries I had major shoulder surgery, metal, bicep reattachment and all. MA training was not the initial cause of this but just aggravated the injury over time like any sport activity would.

Anyway, I worked on stances and Chi Kung exercises for 6 months while I had this contraption/sling on my shoulder The doc would not let me have any contact on the shoulder area for that amount of time. The important thing is to have some kind of activity to keep from getting in the dumps. It is tough for us martial artists to be told we can't do something and even tougher knowing we can't to it to our full potential.

I can see where the internal arts can be harder on the body. When I practice I Chin Chings, I sweat like crazy. This could be due to the body just getting rid of its impurities though. My opinion is to do what you can and not over do it, but most importantly, listen to your doc and physical therapist. Good luck to you mkriii. I know it is frustrating since I been there.

I say, if you always overdo it, there won't be anything you can't do.

Sw

Over do is the primary cause of over training syndrome and injury it is better to train daily at 65 to 80 % than 100% all the time of course some say one cant train at 100% at all. One can an always do more. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

I've been getting into this guy named Porf Jou lately. Not as much to learn his style, but to learn his Taoist influenced philosophy on martial arts. As he says in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4FT_ETpcOA
    If you flow the form with little power 1000 times, then you only need to use full power but once to master it. I tried doing that in this video of me practicing in the park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao2VIZvWj94
    I didn't flow it correctly at least once or twice, and I was all self conscious after some old Chinese lady was making fun of me ("oh, are you doing kung fu, hiya!!"), so it's not my best performance.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 08-03-2008 at 10:13 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

This thread is amazing... it will break 10,000 posts I guess?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Over do is the primary cause of over training syndrome and injury it is better to train daily at 65 to 80 % than 100% all the time
    Which is why steroids are so popular among professional athletes.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    This thread is amazing... it will break 10,000 posts I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    By these powers combined, we are Captain Planet!

This thread is on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    By these powers combined, we are Captain Planet!

This thread is on steroids.
    Captain Planet!

http://thatvideosite.com/video/2341
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Over do is the primary cause of over training syndrome and injury it is better to train daily at 65 to 80 % than 100% all the time of course some say one cant train at 100% at all. One can an always do more. KC

I agree. It doesn't do you any good to go all out and train 100% if your injured most of the time. I'd rather train at 75% or 80% and not be injured than to train at 100% and be injured with a sprain or torn muscle most of the time. It just doesn't do you any god.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

Yes steroids are quite popular among pro athletes and amateur athletes as well. I just won't resort to using them. Its not worth it legally or from a health standpoint. I've known a few people that did them and you could tell when they were cycling. They were all bloated and looked all puffy, then in three or four weeks they had shrunk back down to normal size for a few weeks. They would constantly fluctuate like this. And they would work out on weights like a mad man.

Come on people lets get this thread goin', someone post something. We want to add some more pages to this thread don't we?