View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1292 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 292792119212421282129012911292129312941302 ... LastLast
Results 19,366 to 19,380 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

But that doesn't change the merit of the argument

[QUOTE=Shaolin Wookie;1250410]

If some man (and this is hypothetical--not related to the case at hand or the people involved) lives twenty years of his life as a wife-abusing drug addict, but then cleans up, gets a job, and lives productively, then he is not a hypocrite if he tells some young wife-abusing drug addict that he's wasting his life, hurting people, and living an unproductive lifestyle.

/QUOTE]

All true, but in appraising the good or bad of the DECISION to leave, or stay, what kind of person the subject is, or was, has nothing to do with whether the DECISION is right or wrong. That's why the ad hominem argument is so illogical. If you were discussing whether the decision was right or wrong, who made the decision is irrelevant. If you were really discussing the merits of the person, then the decision they made is irrelevant. When did this forum become "Is Garry Mullins for real?"
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    All true, but in appraising the good or bad of the DECISION to leave, or stay, what kind of person the subject is, or was, has nothing to do with whether the DECISION is right or wrong. That's why the ad hominem argument is so illogical. If you were discussing whether the decision was right or wrong, who made the decision is irrelevant. If you were really discussing the merits of the person, then the decision they made is irrelevant. When did this forum become "Is Garry Mullins for real?"
    I think we agree.

I was just addressing what seemed like a bad argument.

It seemed to run---if Person A leaves SD, and Person A has a flaw in his background of a loosely related kind to some Person C, then Person A has no moral justification to leave SD if some Grand Master T "protected" [still don't know what that means] Person C's more serious flaws from public review. After all, if GM T "protected" Person A, then how could Person A object to similar privileges granted Person C?

It's a bit like the Edward Snowden case (in a sense). He has vital information from his intelligence duties that the United States government has been violating the Bill of Rights in the name of public safety by spying domestically. He reveals these activities. He is labeled a "traitor" because he has violated his job protocols in intelligence (and he has probably been spying domestically as part of this), as well as some oaths that he swore to US intelligence agencies. He breaks his honor to preserve another kind of honor. If his oaths should protect the government in activities that violate the Bill of Rights, then those oaths are null and void, and he is not a traitor after all. After all, activities that violate the Bill of Rights ought to be illegal (but clearly are not). Revealing such violations is an act of virtue (as long as the Bill of Rights is considered virtuous--and it would be hard to state why it isn't, since a refutation would require freedom of speech, association, etc., and not to mention guns [to protect yourself from people who would want to shoot you dead to abridge the rights to free speech and to use the State's huge supply of guns to threaten those who discredit the State, etc] LOL.).

If Snowden had had a prior conviction as a peeping tom when he was a teen, it wouldn't change the fact that he did the right thing later on by revealing Big Brother Tom's activities. Also, had he made the decision to reveal state secrets in order to get fame so that he could write a bestselling memoir, he still made the correct moral decision in revealing state secrets, and a wise business move all at the same time. Had he sold that information to the Russians, so that the Russians could then tell other nations that the US was spying on their diplomats, then he still made the right decision because the US was violating its own diplomatic laws. I know most wouldn't agree with me, but most people aren't very logical. People have subjective reasons for doing what they do, but the rightness and wrongness comes down to where the abuse of liberty and the excesses of aggression lie. LOL.

Not saying they're a perfect match, but the principle seems to be the same. It doesn't matter if Snowden is a former spy, or a traitor, or whatever, and whether he broke some oaths, or intelligence protocols. He broke oaths to preserve the rights of man--to state it grandly.

For more on this kind of weirdness, see Jamie Lannister's speech to Catherine in Season 2 of Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 09-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.

As for the decision to leave the system.....

It's just a matter of valuation, and this is completely subjective.

There are reasons to stay and reasons to leave. And there are right/wrong reasons to leave only in the sense that they're weighed against SD's problem--FRAUD. Some might leave in order to perpetrate more fraudulent claims. I think there's more reasons to leave, as a point of honor (I don't like fraud). Fraud is a kind of violence against property. One gives something that one has no right to give (false information masked as truth) in exchange for something true (money and trust) from honest students looking for truth. Anything that lessens the force and success of the fraud seems to be a step in the "transcendentally" right direction.

As for the forms that are involved in the FRAUD--they may have fraudulent aspects, but if a punch is effective, and an evasion is successful, then they are not fraudulent. The history of a sequence of punches may be false, but true punches are those with power, simplicity, and success in landing. They are true. AS with all information, it comes down to particulars. Whatever doesn't make sense ought to be "made" to make sense through alteration, editing, and reality checks. GM The' has taught me nothing, to be honest, other than three "festival" forms that I have worked on for years. I have learned forms from people that learned forms from people that he taught. But he doesn't own what I learned from those forms, he contributed nothing to my learning process other than a sequence of punches, and I certainly discarded much of what he taught that doesn't measure up to reality. STrip away the lies, and there are punches, kicks, and throws. I strive to make them strong. I bet this is exactly what happens with those who leave for the right reasons. The Shaolin Wookie myth doesn't stop my punch from meeting the criteria of a good punch, or from me discovering something from a motion that challenges my preconceptions about self-defense or offense.

But my 2 cents aren't worth much, since I don't have to leave/stay. And my taste doesn't affect anything substantial.

I just have to find a good teacher. It's a cop-out, but also true. I'll keep the good things that I've learned, but good riddance to the rest. Life moves on.

Luckily, I found a good teacher.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 09-28-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    But it is the right decision, whatever the reason.
    I agree 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

All systems split one way or another
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Blog Entries
    All systems split one way or another
    not all systems are cults like Shaolin Do.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

All systems are cults, on one level or another...
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    not all systems are cults like Shaolin Do.
    Not all posters are ****s like frank

I swear I typed cu"l"ts

Blog Entries
    Not all posters are ****s like frank

I swear I typed cu"l"ts
    LMAO......that's ok, your mom likes me. and as long as i don't come from SD, your words are as worthless as the gung fu you practice
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

With over 18,000 posts, and over 2 MILLION views, this may very well be the single largest thread in all of the interweb.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    With over 18,000 posts, and over 2 MILLION views, this may very well be the single largest thread in all of the interweb.
    Just wait till they get the Obamacare website back up again.

This thread has nothing on the trainwreck that'll become in no time flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....age=1&pc=40818

40,818 replies.
    13,439,266 views.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

It looks like Grooms and the Atlanta schools have officially gone on their own. Sin The and Shaolin-Do are nowhere on their websites. It's my understanding that Grooms sent Sin The a letter explaining that based on the Soard's and Bill Leonard's behavior and Sin The's support of them and the revelations contained in the deposition regarding made up material that they did not desire to be affiliated any longer.

Just saw this posted on KFM's facebook page. Good advice, but if we all followed it, this forum would probably wither and die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

ture but then there would also be not martial arts, who would be fighting