View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 846 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 346746796836844845846847848856896946 ... LastLast
Results 12,676 to 12,690 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

whats going on this is weird
    its like that one movie with tom hanks about god where he like uncovers things and stuff about that one book and then he goes "oh god" and that chick standing next to him goes "gasp" and then the other guy with them just stands there with his mouth open then that creepy albino dude who was hanging from the chandilier unbenounced to tom hanks and his freinds leaps at them from behind and goes "yaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!"

mystery is afoot fellow posters

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    America is built on capitalism and runs on it. You don't really think that it would be different for some reason in this sub culture? Lawyers are definitely capitalists.
    I know that, of course. It's just sad that the law can be abused so wretchedly and there's nothing a moderator/editor can do about it. That's why I like the fantasy of kung fu movies: instant karma that one can witness! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    this is absurd and scary: a thread discussing a pubic news story is yanked because the guy who is the subject of the piece has his lawyer get involved? what possible grounds could there be for legal action here? and why can't the reason itself be given?

this is a low point in the history of KFMF...
    KFMF really doesn't have much of a choice. I doubt very much that they have a pyramid scheme of publications that allows them to hire such expensive lawyers....

But it is very interesting that this much effort is going into trying to suppress a news article and some people's opinions. Do the innocent protest this much?

Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    My guess is that KFM was served. Doesn't matter if the information is not actionable - it still costs money to defend yourself. Sadly, this does not look good for Sin The'.
    Pardon me for coming in late, but I wasn't following "the other thread." What was it, and if someone can inform me, what does it have to do with GMS, that it would "not look good" for him, other than his association with DS?

Just looking for insight, please.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

My guess is that it isn't the reference to the news article, but the comment that surrounds it. I don't think Gene and KFM would cower over the posting of a news article. The threat, and a gray area in the law, is whether a forum can be held accountable for the comments of its posters if the comments constitute defamation. That is, by the forum allowing the comment to occur are they republishing the defamation and making them as accountable for any alleged damages.

Defamation is a murky legal area especially with the advent of the internet.

And please don't think that I'm arguing that any of the comments were or were not defamation. I'm just speculating like the rest of us here....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

As for the present situation, we're honoring a request for now under the stipulation that another request is honored. If that isn't honored, then the thread is reestablished.

According to Gene, The' lawyer made some sort of deal with KFM.

"We will do such and such if you take down the thread."

To me that was really weird. What is it that The' lawyer could have possible agreed to?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    concerning the copywrite post. I really didn't understand much of that legal jargon. but at the end when it talks about the videocassette copywrited in 1980, I wonder if it concerns the ket series which was recorded in 1980?
    my understanding is that it is a video of all of the material sin the teaches for each rank.
    i have not seen the video myself.

some key points are noting exactly what is protected and in my understanding it is simply the order of exercises as depicted on the video, the name sin the gym and its logo and it also notes the "first use" of the name "shaolin do".

in my opinion it is more evidence that the school or system was not called "shaolin do" in indonesia but was called (translated to english)"Central Plains Shaolin Wushu School "
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    According to Gene, The' lawyer made some sort of deal with KFM.

"We will do such and such if you take down the thread."

To me that was really weird. What is it that The' lawyer could have possible agreed to?
    We don't even know if it was a lawyer for The' or a lawyer for Soards do we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Bruce,

Yes, I believe you have it. From everything I remember from conversations with both brothers, that is the way it was. Also, recall back in early 70's a statement all instructors signed agreeing to not teach for specified period after leaving. But after that time passes, you could teach what you remembered. Also, you are correct on the aspect of copyright in that it was the sequence of material delivered at each level. I do not know to which rank, but doubt much about Nidan or possibly Sandan, as he has changed that around dramatically since the first group of us went through it.

OldandUsed

Also, for general purposes, since first joining SD in 1970 until leaving for good in 2002, I saw/heard/experienced a lot. Some good and some bad. There are some very talented people in SD and there are some dirtballs. MA talent aside, the quirks of personality ooze up to the surface and that is what stirs up so much controversy. Personally, I never bought into the linage deal and did not really care. I enjoyed the exercise and the brotherhood. As the drama increased and the hypocracy increased, I grew less enthusiastic. After a while, I was only in it for my own students. I had trained before SD, cross trained while in SD and have gone back to train in other systems since SD. I still use SD and teach some of the techniques, but most of it I discard as impractical. Philosophy? Morals? Ethics? Principle and tradition? Just my perspective, you understand, but the senior "leadership" of SD only pays lip service to that and is very selective in memory. After leaving SD in 2002, I went back to GMH and mended fences. Much happier now and a lot less drama.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...and I'm not at liberty to say at this time. My apologies. I hope you all understand.

I just realized I can see all sorts of deleted threads that non-admin members can't see. A hard delete erases the file. A soft delete just deactivates it.
    deleted for Gene
    Last edited by ShaolinGirl; 09-30-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: deleted for Gene

Quote Originally Posted by shaolingirl View Post
    so one could start a new thread stating the news article and the fact that david soard pleaded guilty to sexually harrassing his students and there's not much any lawyer could say about that.... Since the article appears so many places:

<space for rent>
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 09-30-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: because Gene lights my fire...

Fine. But only for Gene.
    Last edited by ShaolinGirl; 09-30-2009 at 06:55 AM.

Gene runs a great mag and a good forum, that being said he is first and foremost a businessman and had to make a call to protect his investment. If the "suits" told him it would be better if you take it down and avoid any further issues then he has to do what is in his best interest. We may not like it and whine about freedom of speech etc etc but he has a right to protect his interests. I think that position should be respected. drop the topic. we can argue another day.

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    Gene runs a great mag and a good forum, that being said he is first and foremost a businessman and had to make a call to protect his investment. If the "suits" told him it would be better if you take it down and avoid any further issues then he has to do what is in his best interest. We may not like it and whine about freedom of speech etc etc but he has a right to protect his interests. I think that position should be respected. drop the topic. we can argue another day.
    That's not what was said.

It was quid pro quo.