View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 814 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3147147648048128138148158168248649141314 ... LastLast
Results 12,196 to 12,210 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    He just wants to disagree with me, I experience that alot, but like you said I am a little strong willed that way. Maybe I should go back to Aikido haha. KC
    Lmao!!!

No Sh!t.

Unbelievable.

Lets see guys who have doing it under ten years combined or guys that have been doing it for over 60 yrs combined....HMMMM?

Quote Originally Posted by Facepalm View Post
    Do they make you guys squawk for these forms on the east coast?
    LMAO

good question though.

There are valid reasons as to why you should make the audible sounds when practicing forms.

You ever hear of the six healing sounds or tones??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    LMAO

good question though.

There are valid reasons as to why you should make the audible sounds when practicing forms.

You ever hear of the six healing sounds or tones??
    Ive never heard of them but from what ive heard and been taught about meditation, colors, and seasons and what not I wouldnt be suprised if there are also sounds that correspond.

Theres this one kid (just got first black) though who lets out a really loud hoot or a pigeon coo or something like that when he does these and you can tell that hes really pleased with himself and it just makes me want to smack him upside the head ( which i guess i could do to him next time we spar ) but hes not at the same school as me

Me and my friends have an inside joke about squawking at b**ches so I always make that noise and laugh a little to myself.

Ive never heard of them but from what ive heard and been taught about meditation, colors, and seasons and what not I wouldnt be suprised if there are also sounds that correspond.

Theres this one kid (just got first black) though who lets out a really loud hoot or a pigeon coo or something like that when he does these and you can tell that hes really pleased with himself and it just makes me want to smack him upside the head ( which i guess i could do to him next time we spar ) but hes not at the same school as me

Me and my friends have an inside joke about squawking at b**ches so I always make that noise and laugh a little to myself.
    there is. Have you done the Hua Tuos five animal frolics???

You should smack him. Anyone that is that proud or amused with themelves should be!!

If he was at your school he would give plenty of reasons to smck him all the time!!! Consider him luck.

Do they make you guys squawk for these forms on the east coast?
    No. Two different east coast teachers. No squawking or crowing or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I was taught to Kaw during certain points of the form. But no reverse bow, Its hard to dart in and out from a low reverse bow IMHO KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Squawking?

For what it's worth, again those who were privileged (me included) to be in the very first class where those three bird forms were taught, by MH, whose specialty was bird -- no squawking or other noises. Unless he was holding that back and added it in later when I wasn't around, someone else came along and added it. Like reverse bows where they don't belong. It does drive me crazy when people who have no business doing so make their own changes to material taught by someone far more qualified than they are, for no other reason I can think of but ego, to make themselves stand out. Seems kind of arrogant to me.

Not that there aren't appropriate places for sounds, like in the shien tien chi training, or in Hsing Ie (the laughing/taunting), and Liu Hsing. Or kia. Just (not that I know of) in the bird forms. At least not originally.

On second thought . . . I can't say that once MH left, GMS couldn't add squawking, or more likely, "caw"-ing. That would be a different story, in which case I would be wrong. Anyone know, or can trace back, to first person who ever taught any squawking in the bird forms? Then maybe we can get to the bottom of it (althought that hasn't seemed to work with anything else).
    Last edited by One student; 06-26-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: On second thought . . .
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Sorry, wrong form.
    So, which spear form has na position in reverse bow? Other than once or twice here and there, I'll give you that (near opening of Lo Family Spear for example), but as part of the standard sequence.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Quote Originally Posted by One student View Post
    So, which spear form has na position in reverse bow? Other than once or twice here and there, I'll give you that (near opening of Lo Family Spear for example), but as part of the standard sequence.
    We were talking about the single ended staff form. Thats all
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-26-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I was taught to Kaw during certain points of the form. But no reverse bow, Its hard to dart in and out from a low reverse bow IMHO KC
    Me too.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 06-26-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Oh. Never mind.

[QUOTE=tattooedmonk;944336]We were talking about the single ended staff form. Thats all[/QUOTe

Sorry. That's one must have come out in my long hiatus. To further demonstrate my ignorance: what is a single ended staff? And while you're at it, who first taught it, and when, if I may ask?
    Just One Student

The single ended staff or white waxwood staff or kuen is just a spear shaft without the spear head.

I guess its like beginner spear for brown belts

You can also use the skinny end more like a staff whereas with a spear head you might break it off if say you wacked at somebodies foot and missed.

Your supposed to sharpen the skinny end though so you can stab with it

Quote Originally Posted by SDJerry View Post
    I would say you probably can’t defend yourself properly from a side you feel "uncomfortable" with. You can only attack your opponents weak side if they train in a similar method that you do... dominant side forward. This would make their left side which is naturally more uncoordinated their weak side because they never train it.

Now, you may get lucky against the average Joe or a lesser experience fighter but if you're lucky enough to cross hands with someone who knows what they are doing... you're gonna get picked apart. You don't have to be psychic either because here is how it would go down. They're gonna start tagging that lead leg and if you're a good fighter you'll check it... but I'm betting you won't. So eventually that lead leg starts to hurt and your body's natural reaction is to pull it back to protect it. Your opponent will likely notice and come in with a few combos to test the waters. When you start flailing that left hand around trying to block his attacks...... he'll know he's got your number
    no like i said the majority of people including fighters martial artist etc etc are right handed and they keep there right back and their left forward exposing their weak side
    if you stay on that side you cant take them apart easier its actually an old boxing technique you never circle into your opponent power hand
    oh lord here we go with another guy who thinks he knows somethingthere is no way to know wether your opponent has his power side forward or back however most peopel fight with their power hand back. youd be suprised the wierd look you get in boxing gyms when you say your a right handed southpaw

in fact one of the guys here sparred with me with my power side forward and i wasnt picked apart
    Last edited by goju; 06-26-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Hey, we agree on something! I love you goju....one armed- man hug.
    LOL BOUT TIME!!
    your semi normal ill give you that jk