View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 524 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 244244745145225235245255265345746241024 ... LastLast
Results 7,846 to 7,860 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I live in the LA area and would be more than happy to meet with you and cross hands.
    I figured that was coming....where you been hiding?
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    I figured that was coming....where you been hiding?
    BQ
    You should have!......been busy.

Quote Originally Posted by arinathos.valin View Post
    mkrii

A few things regarding the CMC 37 form for you...

I've learned the PRC 24 form, the CMC 37 (Yang 64 as per SD) and the Yang 108 when I was younger. Although the CMC form is considered a distillation of the Yang 108, some people consider it a different style altogether, because of a high emphasis on relaxation, neutralizing force, and uprooting. This is in contrast to the Chen style, which still has obvious fajin within the form.

If you're interested in "Cheng style", I'd encourage you to look up anything by Nigel Sutton, a proponent of the Chinese arts, especially Cheng Taiji. In his book "Finding the Way", he talks about many of his Malaysian teachers who were not afraid to take the principles of Cheng's practice into challenge matches and tourneys, with impressive results. Robert Smith, one of the first Westerners to really pursue the Asian martial arts, singles out CMC for particular praise, and he wasn't afraid to call out BS when he saw it...

One caveat... I don't think it's too hard to find someone who teaches the Cheng version of Yang Taiji, but be careful about the teacher. By most accounts, Cheng was so skilled at the ability to neutralize an opponent's force and uproot them while remaining relaxed, that he rarely had to resort to anything else. I think there are many teachers of the Cheng style who push this 'relaxation' idea to the extreme without focusing on proper stance and body mechanics. You'll wind up with the equivalent of a plate of spaghetti that's been boiled for an hour... very limp and relaxed, but completely lacking in substance...

There are a few good YouTube clips out there of the Cheng form to look at... also take a look at some offerings by a guy named Sam Masich (does Yang/Chen Taiji and Xingyi, but there's also a DVD available of a Cheng Stylist that looks pretty good...)
    Hey A

Very true & very good advice....stop by sometimes.....made it through Pakua spear at the tourney...screwed up hip and all
    BQ

Accepted

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I live in the LA area and would be more than happy to meet with you and cross hands.
    I accept your challenge and as the person challenged I am allowed to pick the time and place:

13 October, Saturday at 10:00 am

Lincoln Park, 7th and Wilshire

Bring a second....any more, any less and I walk away.

Taiwan rules (look it up).

Quote Originally Posted by chiballsoffire View Post
    I accept your challenge and as the person challenged I am allowed to pick the time and place:

Will there be video?

Knifefighter, you in that area?
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by chiballsoffire View Post

What are you an idiot?? I asked if you wanted to crosshands and have some fun.

challenge ??

I did not challenge you .

And usually these things are discussed . Not just you tell me when and where .

I have a life you know.

I know you will not show anyway.

The rest of this can be discussed in a PM. Moron.

I challenge you all and as the challenger I pick the Moon yeah thats the ticket Ill see you all there. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

8. wow

chiballs is some kind of gunfighter from the old west

nice!

hey tm id be your second if it was really necessary although i am in colorado

i just want to watch the fun!

hey kc

i accept! ill meet you there lol

Chiballsoffire hey man you study Hung Gar for 8 years and you feel compelled to accept a challenge I have a 2.5 year old you can fight but you have to sign a death waver. and You cant sue me when he kicks your a$$ KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

This thread has gone Jerry Springer again!
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by BM2 View Post
    This thread has gone Jerry Springer again!
    Instead of chanting "JERRY, JERRY" we should all chant "GENE, GENE, GENE, GENE"
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Let's see, chiballs recently registered, has all of 11 posts, and all his posts have been here in the SD thread. Hmmmm..... Do you think he's a troll just having a bit of fun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Why do people who supposedly study other systems (ie HunGar,CKF,NLongfist
    & Mantis) only want to post on a thread named " Is Shao lin Do For Real??
    OTD
    Why do you slow down to look at car accidents you were not involved in?

A slight correction to my post on "Cheng Style" Taiji...

The book I was referring to by Nigel Sutton was "Searching for the Way"... not "Finding the Way".

Don't know if anyone really cares about that, but if someone was searching for the book, the right title might be of help...I thought the book was excellent.

BQ...I still haven't forgotten about the invite. Good to hear things went well at the tourney!

Regarding recent posts...have to admit I didn't find much in the way of a challenge in TM's post. Perhaps it was the way he TYPED it? Let's just cool it on the egos and just learn from each other...

Hey JP
    Did you get the Yang side of Meteor Fist this time around.
    BQ