View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 553 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 534535035435515525535545555636036531053 ... LastLast
Results 8,281 to 8,295 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Just a question (no hidden motive)

Hi

I am reading through this thread for the interest alone not to comment and I wondered if someone could verfiy some things

Gm Sin stopped training full time with GM Ie at 18 as a grandmaster of all the systems taught in SD ?

What age did he start training at ?

Thats all, thanks its an interesting read

Regards
    Adrian

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Here's the question: have you seen the diplomas or tested him on his fields?

These kinds of statements are generally bull****. Nobody in his right mind would spend the kind of money it would take to get 7 Bachelor's, and however many doctorates he needs. Plus, he'd have spent so much time in school his martial arts must surely suck.

I took more than full-time classloads (5 of those 10 semesters working 40 hrs. w/ 20 hrs. of classes, graduating with a 3.7 GPA[ 4.0 in my subject areas]), and it still took me 5 years to get 2 degrees--going far beyond recommended classloads. So you're looking at probably, I don't know, 2 years for every other degree (since the first two years of coursework are mutually exclusive and would have been covered for his first 2 degrees in all probability. For five more Bachelor's Degrees, that's 2 years each, reaching a total of 10 years. Now, there's not a scholarship on earth that covers that kind of ridiculous achievement. I know, b/c I look for them all to diffray the costs of Grad School, and used them to diffray the costs of Undergraduate work. Not even the GI BIll or a corporate grant cover repeat degrees---there's no way to diffray those costs. So, considering it's about 2,000 dollars per semester (modest, by some standards) for tuition alone, that's 4 semesters per degree in order to graduate in 2 years with each corollary degree. That's a total of 8,000-10000 dollars per degree. So we're looking at something like 50,000 dollars for his bachelor's degrees, and that's the bare minimum at a local school--not an impressive one.

Unless he's a trust fund baby, this kind of money is hard to come by.

(I know you might not think so.....50K over a decade....but it's not just a payment of money. It costs a lot of time. This necessitates freedom of schedule).

First, you have to have the kind of job that will allow you to schedule classes in the afternoon. We're assuming he did this in 10 years. Night school would double that timespan, because you can only take a couple of classes. Now, I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week. I'm at work M-F from 4am to a little past noon. Then I drive down to GSU and I'm at school from 1pm-5:15 pm for 2 grad classes (one TUES/THURS). Then I drive up to Marietta to study martial arts for a couple of hours from 5:30 until about 9 or so. When I'm done, I go home and sleep. I study on M/W/F afternoons, and take naps. EAch night, I find some way to practice MA, whether at school or at home. On weekends, I either work 4am-4pm or 8am-4pm. This gives me barely enough money to afford grad school, MA, rent, my cheap truck, insurance for my cheap truck, a girlfriend (note, the little time [perhaps money] I have outside these activities is usually spent by her)......

I'm a hard worker, but I can't see myself keeping this up for more than another year. So, we're saying your teacher is working a fantastic job with flexible hours and great pay, with unlimited funding for his studies, and probably no female friend. He's practically a monk.

Besides. I got my degrees in English and Art. But I can pick up any physics or math textbook and teach myself without the aid of a teacher. Your teacher has committed the college phallusy (fallacy): he's sought achievement not for mental acuity, but for pieces of paper that declare his masculine prowess.

Now, he followed one of them through to a doctorate. Grad school=2 years if you rush through it. I'm rushing through mine, to get done in a year and a half. It's 2,000 dollars per semester for 2 classes. You have to take a total of nine. The coursework is so intensive, that 2 classes keeps you busier than any combination of the 5-6 classes I took as an undergrad. The papers are monumental, and you have to develop your thesis. By this time in my studies, I'm very well educated in English Literature, Victorian studies, and philosophy/history/lit of the Enlightenment. After the in depth analysis I've gotten through my higher level studies, would I ever spend 2,000 dollars per semester in order to re-enter an undergraduate level and receive basic instruction with students not as pledged or interested in the material as I am? Unless it's at Oxford or something, I wouldn't. Not as anything but an instructor......LOL.....

I guess what I'm saying is that this kind of dubious achievement is really tantamount to taking a frying pan and beating yourself over the head. Don't fall for it, b/c you're getting suckered.

BTW, turning back towards SD, away from MRKIII's super-genius-martial-guru, why GM The' would want to learn 7 languages when his English could use some work, go figure......LOL....but now I'm just trolling.

First off GM John Ng escaped mainland china to get to the U.S.. Once here he applied for a student visa. In order to stay in the states he had to remain in school or he would be sent back to where he escaped from. Hence so many degrees. GM Ng's family had money and paid for his schooling. Yes I have seen his diplomas. He didn't have to work because of his family sending him money but he did teach kung fu to a few people for extra money. He is currently a practicing pharamacist in eastern Kentucky @ the local Rite Aid Drug Store. You may stop in and see for yourself if he works there or not. Then you would know he at least has a degree in Pharmacy and I wasn't lying about that. But i assure you he does have the other degrees as well, I've been to his house and have seen them. He has even done accupunture on me and my friend. He is a VERY knowledgable man. He is also happily married and has a son that is attending Eastern Kentucky University. You don't have to believe this if you don't want to. I have nothing to prove nor does he. I know what I have seen. If you know anyone that knows or knew GM Ng from "back in the day" they will tell you all of this. They will also tell you that he know his sh1t. He comes from a wealthy family. The school that he owned and operated in Lexington was Four Seasons United Kung Fu & Wu Shu Academy. He also had a school prior to that in Bowling Green, Kentucky. He came here to the U.S. in or around the late 60's. I probably told more than I should have about his background. If you want to know more than PM me. Of course your going to say you don't care but obviously you do or you wouldn't have posted your comments about him.
    Last edited by mkriii; 10-26-2007 at 01:36 PM. Reason: had further thoughts on the topic

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Maybe you should be his PR director.

No.....he has his students for that.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I have heard people refer to their schools a dojos and their teachers sensei in the early years but as more information became available that people started to adopt the chinese terminology instead.I think i have seen it on a few of the websites as well.

I believe it was not until recent years that back east( in some circles) they started calling it KUNG FU.

I also know that on the west coast ,for the most part, just use english terminology.

I know it is mostly just refered to as SHAOLIN DO , THE WAY OF SHAOLIN , because it is more than just martialarts ad it really does not matter if you call it Karate or kung fu.

KUNG FU DOES NOT MEAN CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS.
    This is crazy. So, can we call Aikido kung fu? Can we call Tang Soo Do kung fu? I was under the impression that the term kung fu meant that it was a art from China? So we can call these other art forms kung fu even though they are from Japan & Korea?

5. kung fu means mastery through time and effort

karate means way of the china hand

so to answer your question yes you can

aikido kung fu means mastering aikido through time and effort

thx!

True, kung fu translated means skilled person or one that has skill. The correct term shoud be Wu Shu if your going to be technical and do the translation.

Kungfu

I think the best begining is to define some words. First of all the word "kungfu" (or also gongfu). Usually people consider "kungfu" defining chinese martial art. They are wrong. In China, the word kungfu is used to notice a great level of control or practice. You can have a great kungfu in cooking, dancing, painting...

Wushu

The term "wushu" means martial techniques. It’s a generic word which includes all the kinds of chinese boxes and the different familly of them So if you understand well, having a great "kungfu" in "wushu" just means that you know well wushu. But be careful, knowing lot of martial techniques doesn’t mean you have great kungfu.
    Last edited by mkriii; 10-26-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Blog Entries

shaolin

I bet if you went to china to different shaolin schools accross the country everyone would be different. The forms and the way they are executed. How can anyone be for sure what is authentic?

Yes they are probably different throughout china but I bet they do there forms more fluid and graceful than how SD does their forms. Also the masters in China could probably trace thier true lineage.

You must be really bored at work to give such a dam about SD. I mean, you haven't been a student of SD since you were, what 10? Really, who cares anymore? Everybody's just tired of this nonsense; let it go.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

10. Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    Yes they are probably different throughout china but I bet they do there forms more fluid and graceful than how SD does their forms. Also the masters in China could probably trace thier true lineage.
    so your whole argument is based off of fluidity of forms?

and who can be 100% about lineage....where is the iron clad prrof for anyones lineage. pictures? letters?

there are no records in CHINA to verify anyones lineage so how does anyone know 100% whats true or not

the answer is no one does.

which brings us back to square one.

please read the thread if you are going to continue to pollute it with your nonsense

Actually, there are a number of systems who not only have their own written records, but verification from other sources, such as county records. China maintained a vast beauacracy for a very long time. Not exactly tracking martial arts schools, but you can often verify who lived where and when. Not absoloutley, but you'd be amazed.

Westerners have made up a lot of crazy sh!t over the years because China was closed. Now it is not only open, but the information is just pouring out. Oddly enough, there has yet to be any evidence or support for SD history and no recognition of Sin The' as THE Shaolin Grandmaster. (You know, the only one in the world according to his website.)
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    :cool
    what about dong hai quan's lineage, or the founder of hsing i? Didn't they fake their origins?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    After Grandmaster E's death, I realized that while there were many engineers in the world, there was only one Grandmaster of Shaolin...
    http://shaolingrandmaster.com/biography.html
    No claim to a link from the current Shaolin temple, unless of course, someone has found a record of GGM Ie in the temple records.

In 1968, his training was complete and Grandmaster Ie awarded Master Sin Thé the rank of 10th Degree Black Belt and the Grandmaster's Red Belt. Sin Kwang Thé had become the youngest Grandmaster in the history of the Shaolin martial arts!
    http://shaolin-do.com/pages/history.php
    True statement. Can you name a younger one than him in his late teens/early twenties? LOL......Again, a link to GGM Ie, not to Henan Shaolin Temple.

[It is important to understand the distinction between the grandmaster of the temple and the head abbot. The grandmaster was in charge of the monks' physical progress and the mastery of the martial arts by the warrior monks. The head abbot was in charge of the temple as a whole and the monks' religious and intellectual studies.
    http://shaolin-do.com/pages/history.php
    Well, unless GGM Ie and GGGM Su Kong are included in HEnan's lineage, Shaolin still has nothing to fear from SD.

[Sin Kwang The is recognized by those who know him as the Shaolin grandmaster..."
    http://www.shaolinlegends.com/articl...egmmam1994.pdf
    Hence, the people who know him are Shaolin-Do students, and they refer to him as grandmaster.

If this is your conspiracy theory, it absolutely sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    First off GM John Ng escaped mainland china to get to the U.S.. Once here he applied for a student visa. In order to stay in the states he had to remain in school or he would be sent back to where he escaped from. Hence so many degrees. GM Ng's family had money and paid for his schooling. Yes I have seen his diplomas. He didn't have to work because of his family sending him money but he did teach kung fu to a few people for extra money. He is currently a practicing pharamacist in eastern Kentucky @ the local Rite Aid Drug Store. You may stop in and see for yourself if he works there or not. Then you would know he at least has a degree in Pharmacy and I wasn't lying about that. But i assure you he does have the other degrees as well, I've been to his house and have seen them. He has even done accupunture on me and my friend. He is a VERY knowledgable man. He is also happily married and has a son that is attending Eastern Kentucky University. You don't have to believe this if you don't want to. I have nothing to prove nor does he. I know what I have seen. If you know anyone that knows or knew GM Ng from "back in the day" they will tell you all of this. They will also tell you that he know his sh1t. He comes from a wealthy family. The school that he owned and operated in Lexington was Four Seasons United Kung Fu & Wu Shu Academy. He also had a school prior to that in Bowling Green, Kentucky. He came here to the U.S. in or around the late 60's. I probably told more than I should have about his background. If you want to know more than PM me. Of course your going to say you don't care but obviously you do or you wouldn't have posted your comments about him.

I worked with a buddy of mine at the campus kitchens who was on a student visa from Turkey, and did the same thing, LOL......

He didn't want to get sent back to Turkey. I told him he'd save money and time if he just knocked up some chick at a frat party and got married.

Oh, and I wasn't poking at your teacher. I was merely saying that the 7 Degrees is an infamous claim anywhere, b/c of the time allowances, repititions, etc., and I'm still skeptical. I don't care who he is, and I've never heard of him. But then, I studied with a Longfist guy who rented space across the street from a Rite-Aid/Eckerd in Norcross (true)....LOL......he taught Acupressure and Acupuncture as well, but then, you don't exactly need a degree for that. All you have to do is pass a certification test. I know---I administered them when I proctored tests for Thomson Prometric. You could always tell who was going in for the Massage Therapy/Acupressure/Acupuncture tests when they walked through the door. They looked (and smelled) like hippies.

Sorry, TWS. It's true. And I'm sure it's true of you too.....LOL
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 10-27-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I bet if you went to china to different shaolin schools accross the country everyone would be different. The forms and the way they are executed. How can anyone be for sure what is authentic?
    Actually, you might be surprised. In terms of competition, it's usually the same regurgitation of forms. But then, I'm talking about wushu.