View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 454 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 354404444452453454455456464504554954 ... LastLast
Results 6,796 to 6,810 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    Many, not most & certainly not all.

Most TCMA schools teach one or two things only. Mine only teaches CLF & Yang Taiji. That's it. No other training involved. My teacher used to teach one other art until he gave it up in favor of CLF solely. No black belts, no massive lineage tree. Two things done as well as can be done & expected of a person dividing time between 2 arts with complete, unfettered training programs.

Your same basic program for 40 years is to be commended for it's steadfastness to be sure, but steadfastness to what? A smidge of this, a crumb of that, a whiff of something else passing over the top of the pot it's all cooked in with no backbone of any single ingredient.
    To what.....Shaolin Do.....not CLF, Mantis or anything else.....Shaolin Do.....white to black...... after that you can start to specialize in what's available at this time.......I'm SD & I only teach & study Tai Chi, Pakua, & Hsing I...nothing else and will spend the rest of my life devoted to that part of SD & believe me what I'm learning is not a smidge
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    No you haven't. Didn't the big forms explosion happen in the 80s when Sin The' came back from a trip to Indonesia?
    Read MK...I said BASIC program...white to black

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    To what.....Shaolin Do.....not CLF, Mantis or anything else.....Shaolin Do.....white to black...... after that you can start to specialize in what's available at this time.......I'm SD & I only teach & study Tai Chi, Pakua, & Hsing I...nothing else and will spend the rest of my life devoted to that part of SD & believe me what I'm learning is not a smidge
    BQ
    How can you specialize in something that's incomplete?

In SD there are (all last I heard)
    • 3 Taiji forms
      1. Yang/Cheng Man Ching - 37 Posture
      2. Chen Xin Jia Yi Lu - 83 Posture
      3. PRC 24 Step
    • 3 Bagua forms
      1. Classical (Jiang Rong jiao)
      2. 8 Animal (Su Lu Tang probably)
      3. Dragon
    • Xingyi
      1. 5 Roads
      2. 12 Animals
      3. Linkage
      4. Paired Set

plus weapons, push hands, odd set here & there, etc...

Is the foundation for just one of them there completely... from start to finish?? The answer is no. It's some forms & exercises that could be found anywhere from books to seminars to learning from a friend or teacher. It's not complete. Nothing is there completely in training routines, in basics (very basics), etc... pieces yes, but not all for both internal & external training.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

sanjuro,

imho ingrained is not good enough. some feel the same way some do not. no big deal. to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart View Post
    How can you specialize in something that's incomplete?

In SD there are (all last I heard)
    • 3 Taiji forms
      1. Yang/Cheng Man Ching - 37 Posture
      2. Chen Xin Jia Yi Lu - 83 Posture
      3. PRC 24 Step
    • 3 Bagua forms
      1. Classical (Jiang Rong jiao)
      2. 8 Animal (Su Lu Tang probably)Not Sun Lu Tangs!
      3. Dragon
    • Xingyi
      1. 5 Roads
      2. 12 Animals
      3. Linkage
      4. Paired Set

plus weapons, push hands, odd set here & there, etc...

Is the foundation for just one of them there completely... from start to finish?? The answer is no. It's some forms & exercises that could be found anywhere from books to seminars to learning from a friend or teacher. It's not complete. Nothing is there completely in training routines, in basics (very basics), etc... pieces yes, but not all for both internal & external training.
    Sorry Sean but your list is very incomplete..I know you studied SD, but...do you study at my school......do you take classes under me.....how do you know what and how we teach......the FOUNDATION is there for all 3......form wise Hsing I & Pakua we have the most...but the training and FOUNDATIONS are there for all three. If you think you just go to class and learn forms, your way off.
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-21-2007 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jit fu View Post
    sanjuro,

imho ingrained is not good enough. some feel the same way some do not. no big deal. to each his own.
    So you don't believe in cross -training?

buffets are good if you're really hungry and are low on money, but if you realy want a great meal its better to go to a reputable fine eatery that specializes in one or two particular cuisines.
    Hey jit what is Choy Li Fut
    BQ

sr,
    when i was younger, not so much now.

bql,

with 900 forms, you guys dont have that one?

sr,
    when i was younger, not so much now.

bql,

with 900 forms, you guys dont have that one?
    Answer my question
    BQ

soon as you answer mine about the proper ettiquete of how to shake a masters hand... oh yeah you said bow... that wasn't the question.

soon as you answer mine about the proper ettiquete of how to shake a masters hand... oh yeah you said bow... that wasn't the question.
    How do you shake a master's hand? A master of what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

With my hand....I'm sure that varies from school to school

Now answer mine
    BQ

for instance you're at a tournament or gathering of some kind. your sifu introduces you to a friend/colleague of his who happens to be a master (sifu, ect).

for instance you're at a tournament or gathering of some kind. your sifu introduces you to a friend/colleague of his who happens to be a master (sifu, ect).
    As I said I would first bow, as we were taught, then if he reached out to shake my hand I would shake his with mine.....now if there's a universal super secret kung fu hand shake, I don't know...maybe that's part of Choy Li Fut
    I answered your question, answer mine
    BQ
    Last edited by Baqualin; 08-21-2007 at 10:16 AM.

A tai chi master?
    A CLF master?
    A Xing Yi Master?
    A Wu Shu Master?

Born in America or China?

I'll profess ignorance, but I've never shaken hands of a Master outside of my style. I do find it hard to believe that there's a super-secret way to shake hands with a master of all CMA styles when we are talking about a large amount of diversity among the styles.

Personally, I would bow either first or at the same time that the handshake, but that just seems to be the right way to respond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.