View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 956 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 45685690694695495595695795896610061056 ... LastLast
Results 14,326 to 14,340 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Some guy named Joshua Grant was on American Ninja Warrior (season 2) Midwest prelims. He made it to the obstacle called the "Lamp Ramp" or something like that, but then fell into the water, probably due to his bad wrist.

Anyways, they did a short little expose on him before his run. It showed 3 clips of him doing some forms---one of the Brown Belt cranes, Fei Hu Chu Tung, and something else that looked like maybe Tang Lang Quan.

He looked like a bright kid, in great shape, and a pretty talented parkour runner on the side.
    I saw that! I soon as I heard black belt in shaolin Kung fu it got my attention. Watching him do pieces of forms confirmed a shaolin do practitioner. They showed some of his free running clips, and he had some impressive skill.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I saw that! I soon as I heard black belt in shaolin Kung fu it got my attention. Watching him do pieces of forms confirmed a shaolin do practitioner. They showed some of his free running clips, and he had some impressive skill.
    Any idea of the exact episode number?
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by themeecer View Post
    Any idea of the exact episode number?
    It was the Midwest regional. He studied in Illinois. Even with a bad wrist still got top 15 and headed to Vegas.

4. Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    Yes, I have lots of experience with him. He is my primary tai chi chuan teacher.
    He has a very pragmatic view of martial arts and I think in many areas he exceeds what teachers from other systems offer. The biggest thing he taught me was how to learn and how to test my material.

If you are looking for words like qua and dang and Shen fa to be used in instruction you will not get it. He speaks and teaches in american/English terms.

Bruce we still need to get together and train man!

You are spot on with your assessment of Master Gary. My thoughts exactly.

There is a vast difference between the myths of origins of a TCMA and someone MAKING stuff up and PASSING it as a legit tradition.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherLove View Post
    Sorry I didn't see the vastness of the difference here…I stand corrected. Actually, I just didn't want to see this thread drop off the first page just in case any one had something interesting to say.
    Trust me, we are thousands of posts in and hundreds of pages and nothing really interesting has been said.

Most folk know that Sin The is a lark and full of hooey. But hey, people like his workout etc.

It doesn't make him less full of it and super sketchy with his history.

If people want that, they can have it. take it! It's all yours!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherLove View Post
    Sorry I didn't see the vastness of the difference here…I stand corrected. Actually, I just didn't want to see this thread drop off the first page just in case any one had something interesting to say.
    If I make up a system from scratch (almost impossible to then now or in the past by the way) and decide to "make up" a story about how it came to me while watching a tiger fight an elephant, that is one thing.
    If I take what I know from my many systems that I learned and call it "fighting taco" and say that it was given to me by a shaolin monk then that is another, agreed?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

What happened to the first post from kung fu fan and the post with genes advice to use the search function to learn if it's real or not?
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

shhhhhhh! We will never get to 1,000 if you insist on following the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    look, clearly Sin The studied something back home in Indonesia; it was probably a miss-mosh of different things, whatever was locally available, which certainly could have been an admixture of various Chinese / Japanese / indigenous systems; whatever he picked up, when/where he started teaching in the US 30+ years ago, no one had the capacity to critically assess the veracity of his claims, and as such, he could pass it off as "authentic" Shaolin and also just add things on as he saw fit; I'm sure that at the point when the question of gi's, nomenclature and inconsistencies in forms arose, the explanations manifested as needed; by now, the system persists because people who invested decades into the process are more likely to accept the outlandish if it preserves the illusion, than the truth, which would shatter their delusion, and since they have predicated much of their self-identity on the fable, they just can't afford that (psychologically and / or economically)
    I very much agree with this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by brucereiter View Post
    What happened to the first post from kung fu fan and the post with genes advice to use the search function to learn if it's real or not?
    I think most of those other threads were merged with this one in an effort to keep most SD discussion "quarantined."
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

This Sin dude isn't the only MA guy to run some stuff past the masses for a buck. His followers will do pretty much whatever, Hee-Yah!!! Chop! Chop!

Well I love that I can even train in Kung fu or SD what ever you want to call it, having a bad injury sucks but training in anything is good I have found this out. Still like most of what I do and will cont to do it . no worries. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

I haven't thought about this website in years. What thread do I find at the very top? Some things never change

Hi Bruce!
    Words!

Just words!

I thought it would have reached the 1,000 page mark by now
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching