View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 957 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 45785790794795595695795895996710071057 ... LastLast
Results 14,341 to 14,355 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Greetings!

First-time poster here...just wanted to say hello and thank everybody who has contributed to the thread so far...lots of good info. I'm on page 340 of this megathread so far and hope to catch up to real-time soon.

Been in SD for 5 years off and on (Kansas City and now Ohio) and am currently a 1st Brown. Study both external and internal paths. Previously studied Penjat Silat Bukti Negara and Tae Kwon Do before my current training.

What page are you on now in the thread? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    What page are you on now in the thread? KC
    355...might not be as soon as I thought

Thumbs up Funny you mention that...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    that far along and u still haven't figured out the endlessly repetitive nature of the discourse?
    Now on page 400 and it's funny you mention that...the whole thread has a very predictable type of cycle that almost seems like the "Seasons of Debate." It's of course somewhat disjointed since a number of other threads were merged but the general cycle is this:
    1) ...all quiet...
    2) ...a new poster spouts a one liner either for/against SD (usually against)
    3) the post is called out as trolling but nevertheless riles the beehive. At this point one of two things happen: a) some SD proponent calmly asks for more specifics/more info on original poster's opinion or b) some SD proponent zealously lights the torches and assembles for battle
    4) Banter goes back and forth for awhile and usually degenerates into debating nuances. Videos are posted. Lots of quoting happens here.
    5) Insults are made. Personal attacks ensue. Chaos reigns.
    6) Everybody realizes they've gone a bit too far for an Internet forum and generally backs down a bit. The people who were at each other's throats not so long ago now start making some constructive criticisms and/or gestures of brotherhood. I refer to this as the "post-fight kumbaya" phase.
    7) There's a general agreement to disagree and folks summarize their opinions with closing arguments that usually are just a restatement of their opening post and with no new facts/information.
    8) Repeat Step 1

And yet...

...within this cycle I've been privy to some very cool info that would be pretty hard to find elsewhere. Proponents and detractors alike have been posting really cool pictures, sharing anecdotes, and linking some very nice websites. I especially like hearing from the old timers about the training methods and conditioning from way back when.

At this point I've gotten the feel for which posts (and posters) to just scroll through and which ones to read in depth. There are SD proponents and detractors in each of those categories so all in all it's a pretty balanced discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Cup View Post
    I refer to this as the "post-fight kumbaya" phase.
    NOW THAT WAS FUNNY. Wait until you get to the Sin The deposition discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Arrow

GT, BQ,

Please check your PM's when you have some time.

Regards,
    EC

hello everyone, i hope everyone is training hard and going after all your personal goals,,, just curious what are you trainging goals, where are you going, what are you doing to get there?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Training Goals

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    hello everyone, i hope everyone is training hard and going after all your personal goals,,, just curious what are you trainging goals, where are you going, what are you doing to get there?
    Hi Shen great question.

I'm still very early in the journey but here are some long-term goals I'm hoping to achieve:

- Health and Longevity: I would love to live to 100 and be healthy the whole time.
    - Passing on the Tradition: As part of the generations of MA's I'd like to be able to represent our system well and especially carry on the "specialties" of our school. Currently our school focuses on the internal styles as well as iron bone. Once I get further on in my training, I plan to focus as well in an animal style that suits my body type. My current thinking is Preying Mantis but until I get more exposure to that style it's hard to say. I plan on doing whatever it takes to develop a specialty in this area, whether it's seeking out well-recognized masters within my own system or even going outside of my system to "cross-train" my understanding and knowledge.
    - Fitness and Flexibility: I'd like to have good fitness and great flexibility. This is going to be a long journey especially with my current hip flexibility.
    - Qigong: I've always been fascinated by qigong and plan to study this forever. I'm currently still in "passive breathing" mode and have no expectations whatsoever of how long it will take me to reach each stage of development. It would be nice to achieve small circulation before I die. Also, being a science guy, I'd like to continue research and even potentially contribute to society's understanding of qi and qigong.
    - Sparring: I'm not really a fighter but would like to elevate my level of sparring to a high degree and really work to incorporate the internal systems like Pa Kua and Tai Chi into my sparring. In working on timing, footwork, and other skills I'd like to be able to completely outmaneuver the opponent(s) to the point that the actual hit/strike is icing on the cake.

This might not be everything but should be most of it.

Blog Entries

deposition

I'd like to highlight a part of the deposition that has been on my mind.

"Q Well, did you have an agreement with him that he would not teach your copyrighted material and you would not teach his material?

A Let me explain this. My material I cleared some and he had cleared some, too. But they are common bound material that is shaolin Kung fu. And so it is understood I teach my material and the shaolin kung fu as well. As a matter of fact my material is around 50 something to 60 material, but shaolin kung fu I taught over a hundred. So likewise, you know.

Q So your agreement with your brother was that the common material both of you could teach, and you would teach the material that you came up with and he would teach the material he came up with?

A More or less."

If you look at the common material that both brothers teach and that Sin seems to be calling Shaolin, it's just about everything up to blackbelt, and also some material past blackbelt. But later in the deposition it seems this the same material he's saying he has copyrighted.
    What do you all think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    I'd like to highlight a part of the deposition that has been on my mind.

"Q Well, did you have an agreement with him that he would not teach your copyrighted material and you would not teach his material?

A Let me explain this. My material I cleared some and he had cleared some, too. But they are common bound material that is shaolin Kung fu. And so it is understood I teach my material and the shaolin kung fu as well. As a matter of fact my material is around 50 something to 60 material, but shaolin kung fu I taught over a hundred. So likewise, you know.

Q So your agreement with your brother was that the common material both of you could teach, and you would teach the material that you came up with and he would teach the material he came up with?

A More or less."

If you look at the common material that both brothers teach and that Sin seems to be calling Shaolin, it's just about everything up to blackbelt, and also some material past blackbelt. But later in the deposition it seems this the same material he's saying he has copyrighted.
    What do you all think about this?
    I noticed that inconsistency too. The problem is the more inconsistent this story becomes, the less credibility it has. You can look at it as proof he is lying, and can't keep his story straight. Or you could look at it like that material is "shaolin kung fu". However, it's clear that he tried to copyright this material regardless of its origins. So he can't have it both ways and shows a willingness to be loose with the truth even under oath.

If the attorney asking the questions picked up on this inconsistency, then he might have been able to go back and question him specifically on this apparent inconsistency. But he might have chosen not to for strategic purposes. When I'm deposing people I'm often happy to let them stand on a lie instead of trying to point out the inconsistency on the record and give them a chance to explain. It can be a good legal strategy when litigating a case, but it won't help us much here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

It appears that way...

Btw. Anyone hear the news?! The movie is finally being done!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Btw. Anyone hear the news?! The movie is finally being done!
    You mean finally done filming? Or do you mean finally going to start on it? Because he's been starting on it since the '90's.

the word is...

its being filmed in China with a special guest appearence!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    its being filmed in China with a special guest appearence!!!
    I gotta admit. I can't wait. For multiple reasons. Lol