View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 581 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 814815315715795805815825835916316811081 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,715 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

"screw the Cops". KC
    eeeewwwww.

where is this evidence?? ?? I have been to many CMA schools and wiped the floor with everyone . There were only maybe 2 that put up any fight .

What does Martial art mean?? Military or Warrior Arts. Whether it be villiage , familly , or military it still is warrior/ martial arts, used in what?? WAR .I did not mean the government mass organized military.

Because of various laws and sanctions they were not allowed to teach or practice them, at various times, for martial purposes. This is why most of what was or is taught has no martial arts in them . Performance art.

Yes there are many that still teach and practice with martial intent but they are the minority. Most schools teach for money, not to teach people to defend themselves .

This is why MMA is so big now.
    1.) Come to Chicago, I'll take you around. See how it works for you.

2.) You are splitting hairs. And demonstrating a lack of understanding of Chinese culture. The more sophisticated arts evolved out of a blending of esoteric skills with martial skills. For usage of course.

3.) I agree with you. Most schools teach only for money. Most 'CMA' schools don't really teach CMA or teach a watered down aspect. The average skill level in the US is very low. CMA in the US has also been stagnate in many ways. But there are considerable exceptions.

4.) No. legal strictures against practice, say during the cultural revolution, simply drove people underground. It did not wipe it out. The Modern wushu effort also failed to supress TCMA, so now the government has accepted seperate events for TCMA. China is bursting with skilled players. Players who will gladly show their skills.

5.) MMA is big because it is a sporting event. It also gives people ready, quantifiable results, while most so-called CMA schools don't. We both agree there is a LOT of cr@p out there, even if our definitions vary . I've got more on this, but got to run.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Lamassu -
    Contact me, there are all kinds of options if you really want to start a class. It is work, but you'd be amazed how you can find ways to get started with little or no money. Since I don't teach for money, this has been how my clubs have existed.

On the other hand, Chicago has a lot to offer, with some pretty good clubs. So if you want to just train and hang, there are good options.
    www.kungnation.com

Chicago HMMM,.....

Hey Disturbed is from there right?? They have a new album coming out next year. Time to get "GET DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS "yet once again. Do you like them?? REALLY GOOD MUSIC TO TRAIN HARD TO.

This Goes Out To All Of You.....

I would like to say no matter what is said in this thread and/or across this whole board , I would like to say ,"good or bad , right or wrong whether we agree or disagree I still hope that you all have A HAPPY , JOYFUL and SAFE Holiday Season" . "May you share love and affection with the people that you care about and may the next year be the best one yet.

Sincerly TTM

P.S. SD IS REAL SHAOLIN AND IT IS CMA!!

[QUOTE=Mas Judt;826676]Alas this is a common misconception among a lot of overseas Chinese - a lie not unique to SD. It's just the unique twist on it - that SD is 'better' because of it.

It is also really f@cking ignorant.

If the SD folks got out more, and really thought about this... it makes no sense whatsoever.

I think your a little off base here....this comment wasn't made to me in the context of SD being better, he was speaking to me in general terms of his observations...not a lie an opinion....nothing to do with SD Lots of us do get out and from what I've seen in the last 36 years is not a whole lot of Chinese out here kicking anybody's A$$....like I said there are EXCEPTIONS to the rule...but very few.

I would like to say no matter what is said in this thread and/or across this whole board , I would like to say ,"good or bad , right or wrong whether we agree or disagree I still hope that you all have A HAPPY , JOYFUL and SAFE Holiday Season" . "May you share love and affection with the people that you care about and may the next year be the best one yet.
    Amen crazy man. Don't know disturbed, I'll check them out. But if you do make up here and I'm in town, I'll give you the tour - in a friendly, pro-martial arts way - not the crazy mofo internet way. I really am civilized. Just always played hard...

Merry Christmas Tatoo - yeah, I do that on purpose
    www.kungnation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I try to forget about the politics as much as I can.

Our uniforms and cotton/poly blend.
    You mix polyester with cotton? Clearly you are not practicing a traditional martial art.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Cool. I heard he is really good. forget the politics . So you guys wear the "traditional" silk pajamas??

I like the way the EMM's school is set up. The black and red mats are cool. A lot of space.
    I train directly under EMM, and though I'm only a yellow sash I can tell you that he is a great teacher. I also work at the local police station and several of these guys have or currently take MA from somewhere in the area and I have yet to hear a bad remark about EMM. Everyone has good things to say about him, which makes me feel better about training under him even though I have my self-doubts about my abilities. From what I've heard I think I've got the best teacher in my area.

Naja

I think your a little off base here....this comment wasn't made to me in the context of SD being better, he was speaking to me in general terms of his observations...not a lie an opinion....nothing to do with SD Lots of us do get out and from what I've seen in the last 36 years is not a whole lot of Chinese out here kicking anybody's A$$....like I said there are EXCEPTIONS to the rule...but very few.
    I guess if you were looking at point tournaments and the West, where CMA was effectively underground, sure I can see someone thinking that. But that is someone divorced from the rest of the world and the CMA community. The American point karate scene didn't exactly attract the CMA fighters.
    www.kungnation.com

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Tattoo is with 3 T's
    I know how it is presented and been distorted but it does not mean that people do not know what it actually means. I think people have used it as a marketing ploy and have been dishonested about it. I for one was disappointed to find out the truth .I believe that this is something that needs to be corrected. Agree with you.
    How hypocritical. This coming from the man who lied about having served our country in the military?

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    How hypocritical. This coming from the man who lied about having served our country in the military?
    Why the personal attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    I guess if you were looking at point tournaments and the West, where CMA was effectively underground, sure I can see someone thinking that. But that is someone divorced from the rest of the world and the CMA community. The American point karate scene didn't exactly attract the CMA fighters.
    Neither has the cage???

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Oh really?? I lied ?? Interesting. And how is that you come about this info??I sent you a PM before basically calling you out. If you know me and you have some problem with me come with it and bring all of what you got. Now you can send me a PM and we can resolve this but if you want to keep fronting yourself off openly in this board then you can do it at your own expense and not at mine or any others.

@$$HOLE.
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 12-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Neither has the cage???
    And SD is represented in mma? This will be a longer post when i'm feeling better - got laid low by a brutal bug the last few days.

Frankly, if we had had MMA in the late 80's when I actively competed, I would have been there. But pit fighting is a different strategy than military. When Cheng Dong Sheng was asked why he did not teach groundwork, he threw the fellow down, then produced a metal spike from his boot.

Now, i happen to think combat sports are good for training (hey, I started in judo and did Shuai Chiao, so to me TCMA HAS live training) - but you can lose a lot when you start playing to the rules.

There is also the recruitment issue comes up. Most athletes are competitive and attracted to sport. I think Coach Ross on NY has done a great job of transforming his Lama fist into an art that does it all.

We'll start seeing CMA schools from the PRC in MMA soon - as they adopt the ground game needed for the cage. There is already a growing Shaui Chiao/BJJ club and more.

As far as playing with MMA guys, I've gotten nothing but respect from them. Water dragon's other teacher is a well known champion in MMA who completely dug what I was giving him as tools. I used to fight regularly with a bunch when I lived out West. You'd love this: My first meeting i came in a silk kung fu outfit with patches - just to throw them off their game.

Then there is the real world. Usage in reality is CMA's bread and butter when it is taught well. More on this later... and I'll cover the biggest flaw of the CMA mindset - which I'll bet SD shares...
    www.kungnation.com

As much as I don't enjoy watching Wushu, I'd have to admit that the average Chinese Wushu player would probably kick my arse just with their conditioning alone. (I'm also extremely rusty.) All the nasty kicks and punches in the world won't save you if you're gassed before your opponent even breaks a sweat.

If people training Traditional Chinese Arts trained as hard as Wushu Players or MMAists, the effectiveness of their arts would double. I'd gladly include myself in that statement, but unfortunately, I don't train MA anymore... I just work out and have little to show for it
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators