View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 587 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 874875375775855865875885895976376871087 ... LastLast
Results 8,791 to 8,805 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Mas

the difference from being 'in the gate' and 'outside the gate,
    EXAMPLE PLEASE. I am aware of inside and outside the gate in what I have trained but if you have not trained in SD how would you know this??? Also since you are not the Ancient how do you know what the "old" styles really looked like? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    BUt you avoid the point. SD advertises that they teach the 'original combat versions', arts 'preserved in a university like setting' - yet there are clear and obvious differences - differences that often show the difference from being 'in the gate' and 'outside the gate'.

Then there is the official SD position of, let's say missing the truth.

I could say I know Ballet, and my ballet 'works' for me, so it is 'authentic' for me, but it does not make it ballet.
    They do , How do you come to the conclusion that they do not??

Ahhhhh Inner and outer gate , now we are getting somewhere . Could it be that what you are seeing is outer gate and that what is not being seen is inner gate??

What is the truth??

Truth is absolute, Everything else is a matter of perspective and is right or wrong to various degrees based on that perception.

Who is to say what you believe is true and what they believe is false?

Once again are you willing to throw the baby out with the dirty water??

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    the difference from being 'in the gate' and 'outside the gate,
    EXAMPLE PLEASE. I am aware of inside and outside the gate in what I have trained but if you have not trained in SD how would you know this??? Also since you are not the Ancient how do you know what the "old" styles really looked like? KC
    Exactly. Because his master and other people who believe the way he does told him so.

Put. The. Kool. Aid. Down.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

TTM - why haven't you explaned how none f these people know 'real' cma like Shaolin Do?

Feel free to google these names. I don't have time to spoon feed you. Although based on your approach, I may be required to.
    www.kungnation.com

TTM - why haven't you explaned how none f these people know 'real' cma like Shaolin Do?

Feel free to google these names. I don't have time to spoon feed you. Although based on your approach, I may be required to.
    I have.No martial intent or skill. just my experience. Not to say they are not out there.

Dude , why the personal attacks? I am just asking questions. I have not attacked you personally, have I??
    I do not need to be spoon fed , but it seems that most people online require that if you make statements that you have to back it up with some kind of link or something. I do not do this, but I was told that it was the way things are done. I can do my own research. Save the attempts at insults , ok??
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 12-19-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Lmao

Put. The. Kool. Aid. Down.
    why, it tastes good.

TTM -- try getting out more. I apologize if I seem testy, I am just frustrated by the lack of rationale thinking required to hold your beliefs, so deep down I just figure you are pulling my leg.
    www.kungnation.com

Originally Posted by Mas Judt

Shaolin Wookie wrote:
    It was there to honor GM The', purchased by students. An Abbot came down to see it. He didn't donate it. But hell, there's a picture of the ol' geeza next to the stele, and it's sitting next to his rec room. If the old geeza didn't have a problem with it, what's your beef? I'm beginning to think you think you're the Shaolin Grandmaster.

REPLY: This was touted on all the SD websites and in press releases as 'an honor given by Shaolin Temple to GM The' - until you liars got called on it. Now it's the 500 yard back pedal.
    Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool:
    this is how it was implied from my point of view ... to me it seemed like i was told/read that the shaolin temple gave it to gmt to honor him ... not that sd students bought it to honor him. there were some top monks there though suxi and deyang they are 2 people i would love to meet no chane to meet suxi now though rip ...

best

bruce

What Mas has pointed out is only what he has read on here, that the marker was for the soards and that M. Sin is a little more than a footnote on it at the bottom on one side and still after the soards names on the other. Mas didn't nor anyone else not from SD uncover this as he has presented it though.
    If I am wrong, than point it out please as I don't want to put something out there that is incorrect.
    It was the people from SD that told who it was REALLY for, not anyone else outing it. Now Mas, I'm not going to post that you are a liar, everyone gets it wrong from time to time but you really need to watch getting carried away.
    Now TTM and KC, I don't believe that SD looks different because it is the original but because it has been influenced by other styles. I came to that because, well at least for me, it is the most plausible answer.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Hey Sean, My friend from CLF is going to be teaching me a weapon form this next week . He told me I can pick one to learn . I was interested in a spear or broadsword form . Can you suggest one for me??
    Yeah... a basic one.

Seriously... it depends. Get me the names of the sets & I can tell you more. PM them to me if you want.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    That wasn't to hard ,now was it? Any websites for these people??
    this is a great place to start ... research some of the people from these arts and their teachers i think you will find some great stuff ...

http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/xyxy.html
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=foGkLMdcYsc
    http://youtube.com/profile?user=DPGDPG
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_tT_EZujCg
    http://youtube.com/profile?user=mikemartello
    http://formosaneijia.com/

what do you think about any of these people outlined on these sites? you must judge for yourself what you think is good or bad.

best,

bruce

p.s. you will find good and bad in all arts/systems ...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

BM2, really? Because that is not at all how I remember it.
    www.kungnation.com

Quote Originally Posted by shaolindoiscool View Post
    p.s. you will find good and bad in all arts/systems ...
    Most relevant post in the last few days, except for me breaking the truth about the Time-Traveling Modern Wushu Conspiracy of course.

I honestly don't care about the fact that SD looks different. I think it's cool to see Kung Fu spread and become diverse. What really gets my dander up is this stuff about it being "THE FOR REALZ COMBAT VERSION" while people who immerse themselves in, say, Northern Mantis are doing it "performance only." Roffles all around for whatever genius thought up that little gem.

Originally posted by tattooedmonk
    They do , How do you come to the conclusion that they do not??
    Please understand that there is NOTHING, NOTHING that is "obvious" or inherent in the way that SD is done that makes it any more "real" than the people doing forms with "no martial intent and skill."

If you want to point out specific points of usage to show this supposed difference, please do. I'm not saying that SD's way of doing forms is invalid, it's just different, which is fine. The cause of that though, probably has less to do with it being more "combat-ready" and more to do with the fact that people are studying styles with wildly different body structures and fighting strategies in a realtively short amount of time. Again, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, it's just a different way of doing things.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

http://www.shaolin-do.com/pages/history.php

interesting ... they added the "other" picture of su kong tai jin to the sda site ...

lots of re-wording seems to have been done but it creates more questions because some of the time line has "changed" from what was said on the old site.

for all the sd guys from the 70's i have a question about the name.
    on the tradmark/copyright for shaolin do it says :
    International Class: 041
    martial arts instruction
    First Use Date: 1978-10-15
    First Use in Commerce Date: 1985-06-15

gmt rank cert says "Central Plains Shaolin Wushu School "
    in the new history page from the sda it say the below statments and says gm ie gave gmt permission to teach "shaolin do" i am confused???

<<In 1964, Master Sin was preparing to leave for Berlin, Germany to student engineering and phyics. But the breakout of a political crisis in Germany (the erection of the Berlin Wall) altered his plans. A friend of the family, who was a professor from the University of Kentucky, convinced Master Sin and his parents that he could get an equal education at a much cheaper cost. Master Sin flew to Cincinnati, Ohio, and took a taxi to Lexington, Kentucky, which cost him all of the money he had. Here he began his studies at Transylvania University and not long later began teaching Shaolin-Do (without his teacher's knowledge or permission) to suplement his income, the first time non-Chinese had ever learned the art of Shaolin-Do! Grandmaster Ie would later find out about his teaching and after some heartfelt correspondences, gave his student his blessing to teach Americans.>>
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

gmt rank cert says "Central Plains Shaolin Wushu School "
    in the new history page from the sda it say the below statments and says gm ie gave gmt permission to teach "shaolin do" i am confused???
    When I started, it was Sin The Karate Club teaching Shaolin-Do. That was in the mid to late 70's. I can only assume that the passage from the web page is stating that Master Ie gave Master Sin permission to teach his art, which is now called Shaolin-Do, which is what all his students know it as. If is said he was given permission to teach Central Plains Shaolin Wushu, We would all be over at the Y with Master Hiang.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......