View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 181 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 811311711791801811821831912312816811181 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
    I can only speak for Lexington, but outside students have always been welcome to stop by and workout, sit in on a class or what ever. Over the years, there has been students from just about every division stop by. All are welcomed in as should be and a lot of friendships have been formed.

The problem usually comes in from the persons original instructor.
    CSC ask the masters and see what happens. Then PM the guys so they know the response.

They don't mind if the East comes to visit they do want to be informed. You will not be allowed to take a seminar so, don't try that route. Eventually, I think it will open up again.

East is much more open than the West. The MJR comment isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by godzillakungfu
    Ahh more problems.

My personal experience, with the East, was 100% the opposite of what I was told.

It may be frowned upon now, for reasons other than what you suspect.
    I should add it was a very positive experience. More so than what I was led to believe.

Considering what I was told and who I am it was very funny. It was the complete and utter opposite to what I was told.

I think getting out and visiting and training at other schools is an extremely good idea. As a matter of fact I think it's essential to learn there are other training methods and styles.

I train in SD and just visited a more traditional Gong Fu school for a basic class and workout. I enjoyed it.

The MJR comment isn't true.

oh it is very true....he caused a huge mess that gmt had to get involved with to fix

pm me for details...maybe your thinking of someone else but this was just recent

Is CC still the SLC instructor?

If so, you are completely and utterly wrong.

Is CC still the SLC instructor?

If so, you are completely and utterly wrong.
    yes cc is the new instructor there...the former one "resigned" (his name started with a m)

Quote Originally Posted by csckungfuguy
    yes cc is the new instructor there...the former one "resigned" (his name started with a m)
    Then you are 100% wrong about the old instructor.

About a year ago I told Master David I was thinking about visiting the schools in the East. He just basically told me to introduce myself, tell them where I'm from and be polite.

Good for you boulderdawg. =)

ive heard that some sd instructors treat visiting black belts with either little or no respect or flat out wont let them train. i have not heard this of master mullins so dont think i am implying that at all. just curious is all

id love to travel and train in different schools just to get a broader flavor of shaolin under gmt as it were but dont want to step on toes you know
    I know for a fact that both

1. I've visted the Lexington school was greeted with nothing with courtesy and friendliness. Of course I trained in Texas so it's not like I was a total stranger. I called in advance, which is only common courtesy.

2. In Austin people from both the "west" and some of the other factions have stopped by and MJ has never to my knownledge turned them away. I can recall at least one blue belt from one of the atlanta schools that was visiting and sat in for a class.

ive heard that some sd instructors treat visiting black belts with either little or no respect or flat out wont let them train. i have not heard this of master mullins so dont think i am implying that at all. just curious is all

id love to travel and train in different schools just to get a broader flavor of shaolin under gmt as it were but dont want to step on toes you know
    Be respectful. I know some of the stories behind your above comments. The problems weren't always caused by the East instructors.

Crap I had know clue you were banned. Anyone know why?
    Last edited by godzillakungfu; 07-31-2006 at 10:40 AM.

They don't mind if the East comes to visit they do want to be informed. You will not be allowed to take a seminar so, don't try that route. Eventually, I think it will open up again.

East is much more open than the West. The MJR comment isn't true.
    I have seen instructors and masters act horrible in the past. When i first went to the SD school that i attended in college the instructor flat out told me to go away. I have seen (on at least 3 occasions) students from other schools get insulted for wearing different uniforms. I once saw EML insult one of the west masters while on of his/her students was in the room....

as far as material goes, I have had to re-learn my material several different times because it was "not right". I have even learned some material one way that was recently film with EML and then have to re-learn it cause he says that it wasnt right....even though i got it from him on film, hehehehehe.

so, to me....i think that the kentucky/lexington division is friendly....to others from lexington/kentucky (but not always winchester).

but that is just my opinion.....i could be wrong.
    “Therefore it is said that victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.” - Zhang Yu

Change From Within

There are hundreds of pages of debate and discussion about all things Shaolin Do floating all over the net, and elsewhere. That fact alone makes SD "real" in many ways. All of this attention to the pros, cons, substance, and origins of SD have shown us that;

1. There is CMA present in SD. I'm talking about the material itself, not an opinion of performance.

2. There are SD schools that strongly emphasize technique application, proper form and body mechanics, and physical conditioning.

3. SD schools are like people. They all have strengths and weaknesses. They each see their point of view as correct, and sometimes forget that everyone else does the same thing.

4. SD is subject to all of the same drama as any other endeavor involving a large group of imperfect human beings.

5. SD is no different than any other MA. There are instructors, students, and fighters that are excellent, good, fair, and poor. This is a matter of effort, not what is real.

It is up to the current instructors and students to change SD for the better. If we do not, it will be gone with GM Sin. Personal issues need to be set aside in the name of artistic preservation and fellowship. We all talk it, let's start walking it. I consider anyone who studies any combat art my family. We may not love or like each other, but we can at least show respect in the name of the art and mutual effort spent preserving and practicing the art. There will always be those who thrive on drama, and are comfortable with their minds closed. Rank in anything is not a measure of personal ethics or morality. It is up to us as individuals to lead by example, and hope to one day be the ruling majority. Peace, love, and happy training to ALL.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 07-31-2006 at 02:02 PM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    It is up to the current instructors and students to change SD for the better. If we do not, it will be gone with GM Sin. Personal issues need to be set aside in the name of artistic preservation and fellowship. We all talk it, let's start walking it. I consider anyone who studies any combat art my family. We may not love or like each other, but we can at least show respect in the name of the art and mutual effort spent preserving and practicing the art. There will always be those who thrive on drama, and are comfortable with their minds closed. Rank in anything is not a measure of personal ethics or morality. It is up to us as individuals to lead by example, and hope to one day be the ruling majority. Peace, love, and happy training to ALL.
    I hope you're right. Personally I see a train wreck coming once GMT passes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

This thread is annoying. I wish it would die already. It seems that no one is going to change their minds.

Shao-Lin Do, Shao-Lin Do, Do I bother you?

Dog Face Monk, Dog Face Monk, Does this bother you?

Shao-Lin Do, Dog Face Monk, real or not-real?

Hey, is this bothering you? Read some more. You have to you know. It's under your skin now.

You know you can't stop reading this thread.

Shao-Lin Do, Dog Face Monk, Sin The

What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld