View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 815 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3157157658058138148158168178258659151315 ... LastLast
Results 12,211 to 12,225 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Lmao!!!

No Sh!t.

Unbelievable.

Lets see guys who have doing it under ten years combined or guys that have been doing it for over 60 yrs combined....HMMMM?
    yeah but thats sixty years of doing it wrong combined with ten years of doing it right lol

and i feel uncomfortable stance wise i my left hand and leg is only slightly weaker than the right
    and and for you theory to work they have to be able to hit me first

i dont check kicks being that i beleive thats a stupid thing to do
    i jam or move out of the way usually the latter goju ryus elusive we dont meet force with force as a thai boxer would check a kick we move out of kicking range in fact thats what tai sabaki(body evasion) is for

i have always been taught the "kaw" on the birds,,,, one of my teachers was out from under master green and the other was stright from GMS.....
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

oh and i have been doing the "kaw" since 1986 or 1987?
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

I know that several forms have sounds included in them. My current teacher doesn't emphasize them. My first teacher taught them (but not on Lou Tien).

I wonder how common animal sounds in forms is in other Chinese (or Indonesian blended Chinese) martial arts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Se Pa Kuen and Bird forms

Quote Originally Posted by OTD View Post
    Are you referring to "Se Pa Kun" the 4/8 Staff form taught in 2nd to 1st brown?

Circa 1974-75 MH showed/taught/?? EML & EMS the 3 SL Birds on the farm.
    the sound he used sounded like " Kaaaaaaaaaaaaa. (almost like an eagle screaming as it would swoop down on its prey) ie Decend from Heaven. Sometimes MH would refer to the form as a Giant Eagle attack frm the sky

Just my $ 0.02 IMHO
    OTD
    On my set of notes GMS gave out when they first taught out Se Pa Kuen and Hai Loong Chang, he drew a "rough" picture of the staff intended for Se Pa Kuen, and it did taper. Can't really remember though it being referred to as a "single ended staff" though. But that was 20 years ago. I've always done it with a regular bo anyway. Still not remembering any reverse bow "na" postions, although some forward bow, side bow (?), cross leg, and even loose "sparring stance" na's. Like we said, things do seem to evolve, right or wrong, depending on the teacher -- and one's own memory.

Vaguely remembering when Birds first taught, to the "public," maybe an "optional," kind of like "you can do this here if you want" kind of thing, on the sound. And I guess it would be a "kaw" rather than a squawk (like Liu Hsing?).

Funny how discussion brings back forgotten memories.
    Last edited by One student; 06-27-2009 at 07:21 AM.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Kaw

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    i have always been taught the "kaw" on the birds,,,, one of my teachers was out from under master green and the other was stright from GMS.....
    I also was with M Green when Birds taught out, and I got them directly from MHT, worked with him (MBG) in and out of his class with them. I was also teaching my own class when they first became part of the mandatory rank advancement material. No sounds included. Must have been 83-86, when I had my school. Also have tape made in mid 80's, EML demo'ing Birds. No sounds. As opposed to Hsing Ie Linking Form, with "laughing/taunting" sound, on same tape. I'm really curious as to how that got started (and where I missed it).
    Last edited by One student; 06-27-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    Just One Student

"I seek, not to know all the answers, but to understand the questions." --- Kwai Chang Caine

(I'd really like to know all the answers, too, but understanding the questions, like most of my martial arts practice, is a more realistically attainable goal)

Notes

Are these notes in Chinese with the English translation, like what is given out at the seminars now??

Off the sub, Look at WuDang Leg Skill at You tube tell me what you think KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Yes notice in the end how he blocks down like in Short form 1-30 ??? Looks like a Kara-te block sort of I can see why people who see 1-30 think it is Karate and not chinese MA. KC

Shes really Hot

See this. Whew

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    Yes notice in the end how he blocks down like in Short form 1-30 ??? Looks like a Kara-te block sort of I can see why people who see 1-30 think it is Karate and not chinese MA. KC
    Yes I did.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    See this. Whew
    She is Hot as H-ell!! I Dig it!!

she will be mine soon I will have her KC But I like Black