View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1192 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 19269210921142118211901191119211931194120212421292 ... LastLast
Results 17,866 to 17,880 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

most people don't apply the proper mechanics involved to achieve desired results....
    since you are Shaolin Do, i don't think anyone is going to believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    My understanding is probably more akin to Master Reid (though mine is much more shallow) than Master Grooms (who does his slightly different).
    makes sense you have had more exposer to master mike. mine is a bit of both of them in addition to a few outside influences.

But when I perform single whip, I do it differently than Master Reid (more as a throw than a strike). He separates form from function because he can turn every motion into 30 applications, but sometimes I like to stress the spirit of a function over the form. Just personal differences--everyone's got 'em.
    once you get the idea of the intention of weight transfer of each movement i think it is easier to find lots of applications from the same movement.

I did take CMC's treatises to heart---especially with wrist movements. I also do not do the form super-slow, but more at the speed of CMC. His short form was intended to be a "short" form, after all.
    the ideas cmc had about the wrist are valuable but i think it should be varied depending on the intention you are working on at the moment.

i think general practice should take 3 speeds for yang 64 form.
    very slow around 20 or more minutes. medium speed around 5-7 minutes and random speed transitioning from fast to slow adding snap and speed at times around 3-4 minutes

I'll see if I can't get a section up sometime soon. But I'm a pretty busy guy, and it'll be tough to get my wife to videotape me.
    i think section 1 is a good reference sine it it similar in almost all methods of yang tai chi chuan and therefore easier to compare.
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Hey guys, I am going to put some up on my web page soon... Because I am learning as I am building the site , somethings take longer and are more involved . It might take me a bit, Especially for a new programmer.
    HTML is a cakewalk playbwoy...

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Civil litigation/tort defense/business litigation. Also some zoning/municipal litigation.
    Botton feeder huh

Blog Entries
    I understand. I wasn't trying to be critical; I was just trying to get a feel for where they would be in their training and skill and under what rule limitations they were under. You see that "exploratory jab" a lot in sparring even though it's not something you see in forms or drills as often so I was curious about that and the lack of kicks. They are not bad clips, but I didn't expect them to be advanced students from what I saw.
    Shaolin Dynasty can correct me if I'm wrong, here. I think what you are interpreting as an "exploratory jab", is actually one of the very elements Shaolin Dynasty has demonstrated in his videos and articles on the 10 Elements of CLF, Na (or Chuen Na, for the complete name). It's a bridging technique. The moment you touch, you can try to get a sense of their energy. Even though Ving Tsun is well known for Chi Sao, and their Mon Sao Asking Hands strategy, CLF does this via sometimes trying to create a bridge. So, to me, that is not an unidentified exploratory jab not found in forms, it is the element Chuen Na used to create a bridge, which we have all over the place in CLF forms.

I'm not sure what you are exactly getting at with regards to your beginner/advanced inquiry. What these guys were doing was demonstrating quite effectively the core principles of their respective arts at a high contact level and high resistance level. That was the whole point of what Shaolin Dynasty was getting at - there are core principles in CLF learned in a progressive structure that are done as drills and forms, and are soundly applied in different sparring formats.

Speaking of different formats, just for fun, here's a video of Sifu Phillip Ng doing a friendly sparring match with a Hung Ga guy on a TV show.
    Sifu Phillip is using the CLF Chop Choy drilling method Shaolin Dynasty has provided a clips of. The Ng Family is very modest about their achievements, but I think it helps to know that Sifu Phillip is one of the founders of the Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association, and he is a highly sought out fight choreographer and stunt-actor in Hong Kong, and has worked with many of the heroes of the Kung-Fu film genre.
    Anyway, here's the friendly sparring match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsuNE...bF9l_XWVsNoj_Q

A little peek into his involvement in the Hong Kong Action Film industry, here's the trailer of a film he's in called Once Upon a Time in Shanghai, Yuen Woo Ping as action director:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvXMolColkg

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Yutyeesam,

I hope you or shaolindynasty didn't take my comments or inquiry as any slight to Ng family CMA. I thought the clips were quite good, and I'm aware of the stellar and well earned reputation of Ng Family CMA. In the sparring clip, I was puzzled about obvious restrictions that were on the two while they sparred and it seemed to me that they were both young and still advancing in the art. I was impressed with both of the participants control, discipline and techniqe in the match.

As far as the jab, I understanding bridging techniques and how a jab can lend itself to that. I do that myself when I spar, but to my eye it looked like the CLF student was trying to use the jab to look for opening in the VT's center line defense. The VT student was very disciplined in maintaining center-line control (a hallmark to their core principles) and the outside in techniques of the CLF student became more effective as he moved laterally and tried to avoid both the VT's students center-line control.

Which was why I was also asking about the SanDa rules. In addition to the jab's I saw in sparring, some of the training videos showed some very nice drill work for Western Boxing techniques. I was curious how much traditional strikes get mixed with western techniques in SanDa as taught and trained in that video. That's a larger conversation (with echos of all sparring looks like kick-boxing) but the use of boxing technique was very apparent to me in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Last edited by Judge Pen; 12-10-2012 at 03:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Blog Entries
    Yutyeesam,
    Which was why I was also asking about the SanDa rules. In addition to the jab's I saw in sparring, some of the training videos showed some very nice drill work for Western Boxing techniques. I was curious how much traditional strikes get mixed with western techniques in SanDa as taught and trained in that video. That's a larger conversation (with echos of all sparring looks like kick-boxing) but the use of boxing technique was very apparent to me in the video.
    I see what you're saying. Again, Shaolin Dynasty can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's less about the specific technique, but more about the concept that lies underneath the technique. If you look at Shaolin Dynasty's posts and article, there's a concept called "Gating". You use a technique aimed at a particular gate/zone of the body to draw reactions. Ping Chop (level straight punch) is a common one that does it, and Ping Chop is in our drills and forms.

So, in CLF, the concept of Gating is canonized.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    HTML is a cakewalk playbwoy...
    I agree. But learning as you go has it ups and down.... Going to learn python next.

hello

everyone that sent me email addresses just received one. dont get too excited, its just a test email to make sure I got everyone so far...materials going out tommorow.

Sorry, I am behind schedule. thanks for all the responses!

Blog Entries
    everyone that sent me email addresses just received one. dont get too excited, its just a test email to make sure I got everyone so far...materials going out tommorow.

Sorry, I am behind schedule. thanks for all the responses!
    Check your pm.

http://youtu.be/D8CLaGMhXfw
    Just something I thought was cool Similar to SD
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    http://youtu.be/D8CLaGMhXfw
    Just something I thought was cool Similar to SD
    I've seen a couple of his bagua vids. I like his freedom of expression.

I agree. But learning as you go has it ups and down.... Going to learn python next.
    Step 1 - Throw away all your Microsoft software. Ditch the windows OS and never look back. Forget IE ever existed and be a better person for it.

Also, templates help if you're teaching yourself. Look at em, learn em, change em, manipulate em, then you'll have no problem starting your own from the ground up. Although KC may call you a plagiarizer, but I'm sure you can live with that. Studying the work of your betters is always a great start.