View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 269 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1692192592672682692702712793193697691269 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,035 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Citong Shifu - "What are the names of your core stances?"

The ones WE practiced (aside from whatever came up in forms like "broken leg stance") were horse, bow, bird and cat. These were bread and butter, every class, part of the warm-up routine, stances. We also did "dragon squats" and other "in motion" routines that may correspond with some of your stances in our warm-ups. It's been a while so I may have left some things out...but I wanted your good question to at least get a partial response.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    ..... whether it is a cat stance or empty stance the back ankle, hip, and shoulder should be in vertical alignment.

You should be able to draw a straight line from the ankle to hip and to the shoulder.

Everything....... bones, muscles, tendons,etc should not be stressed out of their particular range of motion which this clearly is). This is based on modern understanding or human anatomy/ physiology .

The way he it doing it puts to much stress on the joints and is no way applicable for conditioning or fighting... ( I have seen many traditionalist and masters do this). As far as the knee being in alignment as well this depends on the stance and which plane you are refering to.

There is a great deal geometry, physical body mechanics ,energy , and weight distribution involved here.

Doing things just because it is tradition but goes against modern understanding of human anatomy / physiology is just rediculous to me.

I just figured that we could start talking about things that are intrinsic to the martial arts......

...I know you know what I mean
    Ok, thats what I thought u meant.... We are saying the samething. We just explain it as stated above, because if the ankle is aligned with the knee and the shoulder aligned with the hip then you always have the straight or vertical line between the shoulder and the ankle, thus giving the appearance of sitting in a chair, but without the chair, lol .

I agree, its alot more interesting talking about these types of discussions, well, at least until someone takes it personal .

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Quote Originally Posted by Radhnoti View Post
    Citong Shifu - "What are the names of your core stances?"

The ones WE practiced (aside from whatever came up in forms like "broken leg stance") were horse, bow, bird and cat. These were bread and butter, every class, part of the warm-up routine, stances. We also did "dragon squats" and other "in motion" routines that may correspond with some of your stances in our warm-ups. It's been a while so I may have left some things out...but I wanted your good question to at least get a partial response.

LOL, Thanks. I've noticed that every style has its variation in stance work. It's interesting to see or talk about the differences in training stances and or names and principles of stance training... We train the physical aspect, as well as the fighting aspects... My teacher always told us that if we trained propper footwork/stances and their core principles, we could fight an attacker with only our stances.... Which is true.... Proper stance understanding leads a person to a whole new world of lower body destruction techniques, crippling at that... Love it, well at least when i'm dishing it out, lol . Anywho, thanks for the reply...

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Thanks RD

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Authentic Shaolin Kung Fu Clip

This one is about as real as it gets boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT9Ig...elated&search=

This one is pretty much the version I know, compared to the one I posted a few pages back.

This set dates back to the early Sung dynasty. (960 AD)
    In this set I saw a good deal of SD's Interconnecting Fist, and Five Directional Palm. I also saw many movements that were identical to many of our short forms. Which are a small portion of the original 108 Lohan. I have read that some find our short forms very much like Tan Tui as well. Nice clip.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 10-02-2006 at 02:49 PM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

I have often wondered, who is Kung Fu Fan ?
    You can send me a PM, I won't tell
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

6. who me?

lol

Nah, the troll with "1" post who started this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

He's been at a boxing gym for 3 years now, his first semi-pro fight is this Thursday...
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Cool great...

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    In this set I saw a good deal of SD's Interconnecting Fist, and Five Directional Palm. I also saw many movements that were identical to many of our shaort forms. Which are a small portion of the original 108 Lohan. I have read that some find our short forms very much like Tan Tui as well. Nice clip.
    now we have shaolin monks copying our material!! what next Shaolin Do will be declared by the PRC to be authentic Shaolin and all you pityful little worms will have to fall to your knees and beg for instruction!!!

On the topic of Lien Wu Chang and Chie Chien...
    I have heard conflicting information about how to categorize these forms. For one, I've heard Lien Wu Chang referred to as a southern fist form, and Chie Chien as northern fist form. I am skeptical of this, as Lien Wu Chang certainly seems to be more stereotypical northern shaolin (especially after noticing the similarities with Xiao Hong Quan). Second, I have heard these two forms, as well as Ching Kong Fu hu Chien, called a part of the "Shantung whirling palm set", which I guess would also include the four Shantung black tiger forms. If they are part of a set from Shantung, how could one of them be a "southern fist" form?
    How were they originally introduced, and where do they conceptually belong? While they definately seem like northern Shaolin style forms, they don't seem to share much in the way of techniques or movement with the black tiger forms.
    I hope someone can shed some light.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

I believe they are referred to as "tiger sister system forms." They are supposed to teach the three hand strikes of the tiger system: tiger claw, open palm, and fist. They obviously also teach different methods of footwork: switching stances more or less in place from ching kang; spinning while advancing and retreating from lian u chang; and pretty much straight out advancing from chie chuan.

I guess that conceptually it makes a lot of sense that they are where they are in the curriculum. Right after we learn these forms (which get us ready for tiger system), we learn the black tiger forms.

I agree that the black tiger system seems quite different from these forms. I think that the black tiger system was it's own system, not to be confused with the original tiger system. It seems much more "northern" in its approach: far-reaching attacks and lots of good techniques for covering big gaps in distances. However, if you look at the golden tiger form taught outside the curriculum, it makes a lot of sense that the three 1st brown forms get the student ready for tiger system training.

I've seen them referred to as china hands, but never actually heard that from my teacher or grandmaster sin. So, I stick with the sister system story.

Hope this helps. As for what they were first referred to, I'd ask GT or Baqualin....although I haven't seen them around too much lately.

2nd road of Ground monkey

I just signed up for the 2nd road of the Ground Monkey. I didn't take the 1st road so I was wondering what to expect. Like what kind of things I should work on until the seminar.

13. crunches! and monkey rolls

i cant wait to see it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by 9th
    I believe they are referred to as "tiger sister system forms." They are supposed to teach the three hand strikes of the tiger system: tiger claw, open palm, and fist.
    You are correct sir.

I've seen them referred to as china hands,
    This reference came from when they were first shown to a select few. Most of the forms back then were called "china hand" 1, 34, 22, etc...or so I have been told.

As for what they were first referred to, I'd ask GT or Baqualin..........although I haven't seen them around too much lately.
    Oh, I am around. LV just wore my fingers out replying.
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

yang - hehehe...don't bother trying to get ready for the ground monkey. It's tough. That's all there is to it. Just go and plan on having lots of fun. Of course, after you learn it you'll have hours of entertainment on your hands!

I'm a big fan of the monkey, and I really feel that, because it is so different from anything else we do, the only way to get ready for monkey is to do more monkey. It changes the way you move, and the way you think and act if you do the forms correctly.

Heck, so if you wanna get ready and don't like the idea of just waiting for it. Go out and pretend to be a monkey. Throw yourself around on the ground and have a good time! That's what I do...hehehe....plus my forms, techniques, drill, background training, conditioning...blahblahblah....I've actually worked up quite an extensive monkey repertoire of training materials from my own study and practice of the forms.