View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 287 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 1872372772852862872882892973373877871287 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,305 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Gathering

If we do this thing next year then why dont we do it like a seminar where we each pick a form or subject and instruct on that topic. ??? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Thumbing Technique

OK, who's close enough to Louisville to give the bent old guy who doesn't drive a ride to this shindig?
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Baqualin - man, that would be pretty dang cool.

KC - I think that's a great idea. I'd love to show folks what I've been doing with monkey...unless someone who outranks me wants to take that one!

Rank

Hey I can hope that rank will not be an issue as long as we all have something we want to contribute. I can learn from a white belt or what ever so If you have something to share do it. I think this is great who else is in ??? KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Green Cloud
    Are you telling me there's no mythology in your system of Kung Fu anywhere

And as far as material goes your a Master of the Green Cloud school plus you hold 10 Black Beltsin other styles.
    Your school teaches:
    Northern Siu-Lum Pai
    Bak-Mei
    Dai Sing Pek Gwa (Great Sage Monkey System)
    Sit Gaut
    San Shou
    Southern Eagle Claw
    Northern Eagle Claw
    Iron Palm
    Chi Gung - Hei Gung
    Chin Na
    Pankration
    Nanchuan
    Jiu Jia Quan (Drunken Boxing)
    Nok Fei Pai
    Mok Ga
    Tai Chi
    Krav Maga
    Kick Boxing
    That's a lot of material!!
    I do respect your skill (seen your vid's nice!) and your lineage...it's easy to follow it came through China(no questions)....OURS isn't it came through Indonesia, but that makes it no less unreal....your right about some SD people making claims that make no sense, but you do a pretty good job of marketing yourself (that includes this thread) and I'm sure your not putting a cap on the number of schools or students.

Also some of us are working on putting good SD vids on here.....but as I've seen from other threads a lot of the older masters don't want their videos posted on here...not out of fear but respect.

I guess I just did a little Marketing for you myself didn't I!!!
    What can I say I opened my first school when I was 17 years old and I still run several schools at the age of 40.

I don't claim to be master in every style but I have studied everyone of these styles during my long journey in MA. What can i say, some people say I'm an idiot savant.

The one thing that I don't do is say that all these styles are part of one system called Bla Bla Ba.

Besides everyone in the traditional MA comunity knows my well deserved rep and I can back it up.

So far the only person that I hold suspect on this thread is the Tattooed monk his debates are OT.

Talking Lmao>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    What can I say I opened my first school when I was 17 years old and I still run several schools at the age of 40.

I don't claim to be master in every style but I have studied everyone of these styles during my long journey in MA. What can i say, some people say I'm an idiot savant.

The one thing that I don't do is say that all these styles are part of one system called Bla Bla Ba.

Besides everyone in the traditional MA comunity knows my well deserved rep and I can back it up.

So far the only person that I hold suspect on this thread is the Tattooed monk his debates are OT.
    when did pankration become kung fu?? since this is in your program does it make the other styles or what you teach not kung fu???

I think your list of styles is bullsh!t.

The name is Shaolin Do. There is a reason for this.....

the arts that were developed in the temples are in the curriculum and the ones that were not were absorbed into the to the curriculum just like Shaolin of old.

This was to better the art as it is modified and adapted to for modern usage.

it is not about clothing, forms, styles, ,or any thing else non intrinsic.

Do you even understand that Shaolin was built on a ideaology, methodology, and philosophy, etc.....

This is why it is called Shaolin Do..... The Way of Shaolin....

you must be dumber than a box of rocks not to figure this out....

all of your thinking is done inside this box..you need to get out more

do not break your arm patting yourself on the back!!!

tattooedmonk

You should do some reading about Shaolin and you will discover it isn't some obscure, mystical, philosophical concept. Masterkiller mentioned Brian Kennedy's book for good reading on Shaolin. Research is key.

As for Green Cloud, he is a lineage holder of Chan Tai San. If you doubt Green Cloud's legitimacy, look up Chan Tai San.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-17-2006 at 10:47 PM.

big deal...

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    You should do some reading about Shaolin and you will discover it isn't some obscure, mystica,l philosophical concept. Masterkiller mentioned Brian Kennedy's book for some good reading on Shaolin. Research is key.

As for Green Cloud, he is a lineage holder of Chan Tai San. If you doubt Green Cloud's legitimacy, look up Chan Tai San.
    I do not care who he is associated with . this does not mean that he does kung fu or that he is a good martialartist or that he is not lying in one way or another...

I think you should do some reserch on Shaolin and kung fu because you read to much of what supports your beliefs and do not do enough research and exploring of the philosophical / religious systems that were in use at shaolin over 15oo yrs....get a clue

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    You should do some reading about Shaolin and you will discover it isn't some obscure, mystical, philosophical concept. Masterkiller mentioned Brian Kennedy's book for good reading on Shaolin. Research is key.

When it comes to the Tattoedmonk boy I get the feeling that I might be arguing with a 12 year old based on his posts.

As for the Pancration thing it's not part of my Curriculim but it does influence how I aproach fighting and that's with an informed understanding of what's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    I do not care who he is associated with . this does not mean that he does kung fu or that he is a good martialartist or that he is not lying in one way or another...

I think you should do some reserch on Shaolin and kung fu because you read to much of what supports your beliefs and do not do enough research and exploring of the philosophical / religious systems that were in use at shaolin over 15oo yrs....get a clue
    OK now I know your just stupid, as I have said before research what nothing of what you say is written anywhere. Exploring the philosiphical and religious systems, WTF does that mean nothing I've read ever mentions SD exept for the propiganda on the SD web sites that are vague to begin with

tattooedmonk

I read accurate material when I do research. I don't deny fact. I know about Chan Buddhism and Shaolin Temple. If I were using religion as the basis of Shaolin Do's legitimacy, then it would automatically disqualify being that Shaolin Do is not a Chan institution.

You have made something clear, you are incapable of having a civil discussion with people that feel differently then you do about Shaolin Do. That says a lot about you. You are disrespectful, rude, and ignorant. You have insulted me, and others, simply because of disagreement. Take a hint, people who come onto this thread that disagree with you all wind up forming the same opinion about you.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-17-2006 at 11:10 PM.

I second that, I think that the Tattoed monkey boy is a discrace to his own system.

I vote that the SD people excomunicate this fool

manners

hello all,

i vote we forgive him and try to understand his frustration ...

"Obey the rules of society.
    Demonstrate excellent martial art spirit.
    Respect elders and honor friends.
    Be kind and love others.
    Show good faith to others and keep their trust.
    Support the weak and aid the needy.
    Demonstrate good conduct and excellent learning spirit.
    Cultivate the body and nourish the spirit.
    Be disciplined, be generous, be honest, be loyal and give forgiveness.
    Be alert, be wise, be open minded and be patient.

ie chang ming"

those of us who practice shaolin do should try to live up to these ideas.

as hard as it can be to have people dout what you do or seemingly try to discredit what you do we must continue to practice/study our chosen art and become great examples, lead by example. shaolin do students should not engage in name calling and shaolin do students should have their facts straight before they say this or that is or isnt. i think many of the misconceptions regarding shaolin do have been as a result of students stateing things as fact that they do not know for fact. "thus i have heard" might be a good way to present history you are not sure of.

gus has said some things that i do not agree with and at times can be a little insulting but for the most part i think he has asked honest questions and since this is an open forum this is what you do ask questions and debate ... he seems to be an excellent martial artist i look forward to meeting him at some point in my travels to see what he has to offer.

at any rate gus deserves respect for his time and effort as does tattoedmonk so instead of insulting each other please remain respectful. gus i am sure you are senior in cma to many of us here so you might set an example for us to follow.

keep digging for the truth ...
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Bei Shaolin

Has anyone ever heard of these guys? They claim to teach some of the material that is also taught in SD, ie. 10,000 bees attacking, golden snake, etc. It seemed odd that they would have some of these styles also.

Quote Originally Posted by Invincible Yang View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of these guys? They claim to teach some of the material that is also taught in SD, ie. 10,000 bees attacking, golden snake, etc. It seemed odd that they would have some of these styles also.
    I have not heard that. I wonder if they are associtated with some of the collegues that taught with Master Ie. I've heard a rumor that there are a couple of non SD schools that come from these teachers, but I've only found one vauge link to a white crane school that Monkey Slap 2 helped me locate. Do you have any more information? Does this school have a website, e-mail or phone number. I'll be glad to contact them and ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.