View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 517 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 174174675075155165175185195275676171017 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    Thanks but no thanks. Already have a brown belt in SD.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I barely have time to keep up my own handsets.
    CURSES!!!!! MK was actually defending SD for a bit! We were THIS close to bringing him over to the dark side of the force.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by mkriii View Post
    I like how you TRY to turn the tables on me by bringing up the training exercises from shaw bros. movies. Well it didn't work. Your just trying to take the heat off you.
    I don't feel any heat, but that's because I don't do my push-ups ontop of a burning incense stick....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Are you crazy? Is that your problem?
    - Aristotle

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

So I have a question for all you SD people, Are you tring to tell me that GM Sin has mastered over 600 forms? And he did this by age 25 when he was given the title of GM? He didn't start training till age 6. that means he mastered 37.5 forms a year. Thats 600 forms devided by the number of years he had trained (which is 16) and thats 37.5

Unbelievable. He must be like rainman. No human can master that many forms unless he has supernatural powers.
    I'm not saying any of that. I don't know how many forms he learned, how many forms he "mastered" or when he did either. All I know is the material and the training I've been taught so far, and that's good enough for me.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    So MKRiii's buddy calls SD LARPers, all the while MKRiii was getting conditioning ideas from Shaw Brothers' movies?

I love this thread!

Who said anything about us being buddies?

I will call a McDojo on their BS when I see it.

And all the related aspects of Shaolin Do Karate scream BS, LARPing and McDojo; their training as seen by myself and others, by their demonstrated forms, by the fact it's been proven they've stolen styles and forms from other MA styles and claimed them as their own, often creating new names for them in the process
    The fact they claim to be Shaolin Do which combines Japanese and Chinese then they claim to be Karate, again doing the same, then they wear Karate uniforms and belts, which again screams BS.
    The way they keep pressuring their students to start new levels/styles at higher costs to make them better martial artists and keep the progression going at ever higher pay structures.
    The way their GM claimed a GMship at a young age when no one else has ever achieved such a level in such a short time.

Seems like the majority of people on this forum are in love with subpar, crappy martial arts and crappy training, this is often talked about on all the other forums, y'all should try training for real and get out of your kung fu movie wet dreams

So I have a question for all you SD people, Are you tring to tell me that GM Sin has mastered over 600 forms? And he did this by age 25 when he was given the title of GM? He didn't start training till age 6. that means he mastered 37.5 forms a year. Thats 600 forms devided by the number of years he had trained (which is 16) and thats 37.5

Unbelievable. He must be like rainman. No human can master that many forms unless he has supernatural powers.
    Not really. I train with at least a few people who are 'sponges'. They easily learn 4forms in a month (at 2nd black), that's an average of 52 forms a year, if need be. No last names, but, Anh-Thu, Tommy, Hugh, Eva. And yes, they learn and perform the forms well. I don't really know folks at other belt levels.
    I'm more of a sieve...

Quote Originally Posted by Mei Hua View Post

And all the related aspects of Shaolin Do Karate scream BS, LARPing and McDojo; their training as seen by myself and others, by their demonstrated forms, by the fact it's been proven they've stolen styles and forms from other MA styles and claimed them as their own, often creating new names for them in the process
    The fact they claim to be Shaolin Do which combines Japanese and Chinese then they claim to be Karate, again doing the same, then they wear Karate uniforms and belts, which again screams BS.
    The way they keep pressuring their students to start new levels/styles at higher costs to make them better martial artists and keep the progression going at ever higher pay structures.
    The way their GM claimed a GMship at a young age when no one else has ever achieved such a level in such a short time.

Seems like the majority of people on this forum are in love with subpar, crappy martial arts and crappy training, this is often talked about on all the other forums, y'all should try training for real and get out of your kung fu movie wet dreams
    *Yawn* Wake me up when a new point that hasn't been debated endlessly comes up.

I really like the for Si Mon Ta Li (sp?). It has some really practicle techniques in it (not). Like the first couple moves where you block high then low (or vice versa). Can't remember it's been a while. SD has some really practical knife defenses also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mei Hua View Post

Super duper great granddaddy of complete awesomness and grand poobah master of (insert whatever crappy MA you claim to teach and know), at last the great Siddhartha has heard my prayers and you've shown!! I'm ready to begin my training in (insert whatever crappy MA you claim to teach and know); I've defeated mrkiii in a heated battle of counting and thus proven my mettle.
    - Aristotle

- Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Lamassu View Post
    CURSES!!!!! MK was actually defending SD for a bit! We were THIS close to bringing him over to the dark side of the force.
    I thought MMA was the darkside?

Wasn't talking about you, oh master of the misinterpretation. You were the one being called out for being a doofus for your Shaw Bros. training regimen.

There's only one MK on here and I think MasterKiller should thrash you for your presumption. Or at the very least blind you with his gleaming white skin.
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Quote Originally Posted by kungfujunky View Post
    ive seen that vid.....the forms are almost technically correct but the spirit of the tiger is lacking imo

also they dont look like beginners but first blacks from what i can see.

interesting
    They had just learned the whole form. Of course it sucked. Mine sucked after 3 weeks. So did everyone's, and so would everyone who wasn't in the system, LOL. They're brown belts.

But have these people that you know who learned 3 or more forms a month, have they "mastered" them like GM sin claims? These forms must be awefull short, 3 or 4 moves in each form.

But have these people that you know who learned 3 or more forms a month, have they "mastered" them like GM sin claims? These forms must be awefull short, 3 or 4 moves in each form.
    Yes, mastered. They are incredible athletes and intelligent people, as is GM Sin. And forms at 2nd black are 30 seconds to 2 minutes long. They require depth at that point. Nearly every form those 3 do are performance worthy every time, by which I mean stance, power & speed.
    Again, on a sliding scale, I slide more towards sieve...