Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple (1982) the original film

Shaolin Temple (1982) the original film

in the movie "the shaolin temple" with jet li, i understand master pan qing fu, now in ontario, canada, was an actor/extra...can anyone tell me me which character he was?

thanking you in advance,

neil

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Wasn't he the one eyes dude with the claw weapon thing?

WWII

gong!

I answered this thread on the main forum and moved it to the media forum where it is most appropo.

Pan played a general, a supporting character. You can only see in in a few scenes doing walk-ons behind General Renze (the villian) who was played by famed double-sword master, Yu Chenghui.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

my sifu's sifu was in those 3 movies as a co-star he has some nice stories about em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I got to meet Pan Quing Fu a few years back. That guy is cool. (He is also wicked with a spear, he and one of his students did a two person spear form, WOW is all I can say).
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

shorinji kempo and shaolin temple(movie)

hi

-i tried a search, but couldn't really find any discussion on shorinji kempo on this site...so i was wondering what you guys thought of it...

-reason i'm asking is that i recently watched the jet li-shaolin temple movie on dvd, and noticed that there are several scenes where they used shorinji kempo techniques, including an extended fight scene during the big battle in the temple, and at the very last scene at the end of the movie, where they are doing a basic upper block and front kick(while the voice over describes how shaolin martial arts are now everywhere, etc...which i thought was a little ironic, since the movie was about the shaolin temple and chinese martial arts, but the movie concludes with the scene of the monks doing shorinji kempo moves).

-i was wondering too, if with all the different martial arts practitioners around, was there news on conflicts between the practitioners, especially since the shorinji kempo people in the movie were japanese...

-anyways, just curious about what people thought or heard...

thanks

joshua lee

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...reply&p=596451

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    Shorinji Kempo was founded by a man named Michiomi Nakano who was a member of the a japanese criminal organization (Black Dragon Society) which began acting in concert with the imperial government at that time. Nakano reputedly acted as an agent providing intelligence to Japanese authorities in manchuria. He claimed he was initiated in the the Giwamonken temple which he eventually became successor naming taking the buddhist name "Doshin So" and refering to his style as Shorinji kempo. His claims were hotly contested and In 1972 he was on the losing end of a law suit by a group of Chinese living in Japan and as a result the japanese court action agreed to refer to his style as "Nippon Shorinji Kempo."

A little research will reveal to you that his "System" is in fact a creative Blend of Kango Zen , Shorinji Kenkokan Karate (Nakano trained under Masayoshi Hisataka for a while) and Hakko ryu Jujutsu (which he studied under Okuyama Ryuho) and both of these unique systems are clearly visable in the training of Nippon Shorinji Kempo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    MK is right, or at least concurs with what I've heard. Shorinji kempo (aka Nippon-den Seito Shorinji Kempo) is now headed by So Doshin's daughter. In fact, in the early editions of the movie Shaolin Temple, the 'historic pilgrimage' of So Doshin and his daughter to Shaolin is documented in the intro - that scene is deleted from many later editions.
    But there are other Shorin and Shorinji schools, mostly found in Okinawa. It's horribly confusing for me, since I don't really specialize in Japanese research, but I'm sure someone has sorted it all out somewhere.

As for Kempo, it is confusing too. It's part of the name of many Karate schools. Beyond Parker's and So Doshin's, there is Uechi Kanei's Kempo Kai (aka ****o ryu, but don't pronounce it *that* way), Kuda Yuichi's Matsumura Kenpo Shorin Ryu, and Nakamura Shigeru & Odo Seikichi's Okinawa Kenpo. Even more confusing is the fact that by using another character, kenpo becomes 'sword method' (ken as in kendo or jian dao in Mandarin).

Nice web fu MK

While the movie, Shaolin Temple, was significant not just in film history, but also in Shaolin's history, it's not good to read to much into the styles in the film itself. Most of the talent for that film was shipped in - Jet Li was on the BWT, Yu Hai was from Shandong (as were many other masters). Ironically, Yu Hai left his modern mantis form at Shaolin, which is still practiced at many of the private schools today. I think you can read something into the exclusion of the Shorinji scenes in later editions of Shaolin Temple (the film). I haven't seen those scenes on any of the DVDs, except maybe the bootlegs...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

dvd

thanks for the replies...i'll try to do a better search next time...

-as for the dvd scenes...the dvd is not a bootleg, and is distributed by 'mei ah' from hong kong...and is i think, a remastered version, since the colours look so vibrant, with dts sound, and has all the regular chapters, languages(mandarin, cantonese) and subtitles(english, simplified and traditional chinese) on it...

-and MK: do you have a source for the court case? i've tried a search for mention/documentation of it, but couldn't find it...the shorinji people at e-budo have had a similar question asked of them as well, and they've tried a search as well, including asking the honbu, but couldn't find anything either...the shorinji website seems to document the the name changes of the organization throught the past few years, but makes no mention of the court case or change to 'nippon shorinji krmpo'

anyways, thanks for the replies

merlin

Interesting on the DVD - just goes to show, I suppose. I always thought that intro added to the movie and was disappointed to find it not on my DVD version. Maybe mine is the bootleg.

As for the court case, well, I can't give you the actual court case number, but according to the Dictionary of Japanese Martial Arts p.361:
    After a court decision in 1972 the name was changed to Nippon Shorinji kenpo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gene

hi gene...thanks for the reply

-i don't have that intro mentioned in your thread on my dvd either, i was referring to an extended fight scene near the end of the movie...when the 'bad' guys invade the temple to kill the monks...there is part where just before fighting, one monk takes off his robe/jacket(?) to fight the enemy soldier, and after defeating the soldier, the soldier yells to fire the arrows, and kills the monk...those 2 were doing a shorinji kempo embu or pair sequence, and are japanese....as well as the very last scene in the movie where they do shorinji kempo upper block and front kick...

-anyways...i haven't done shorinji kempo for a almost 2 years after having kids, and i was just wondering what the kung fu people thought of the system...

bootlegs

i don't have that intro mentioned in your thread on my dvd either
    Good. Well, 'good' in the sense that my facts are somewhat straight. My understanding is that this version of Shaolin Temple is the official DVD. We've been very careful not to deal in bootlegs.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings all

I've been an occasional reader here for a couple of years, while mainly hanging around the E-Budo.com and Budoseek.net forums. I am a fully qualified "Armchair Fan" and do not actively train anymore. My chosen Art is/was Shorinji Kempo. I've got a few comments to add to the thread, as they may be of interest to anyone searching for threads about the movie. Sorry if some of it is "old news" to you.

I've got a ten year old VHS copy with rotten dubbing (an "official" release, just bad...), but I first saw it on a (presumably) pirate copy in around '83. That version was a bootleg from Malaysia, so itr had loads of subtitles and included the "missing scenes".

From a fading memory, the scenes featuring Shorinji Kempo were an introduction that showed Japanese Kenshi training at the Hombu. ranks of white dogi doing kihon (basics) in unison. Then the senior Kenshi performing an Embu in the same Dojo with the rest of the Kenshi sitting alongside. The Embu (rehearsed sequence of fighting moves) was performed by Kenshi wearing Hoi (the black robe, based on Monk apparel, worn over the dogi with sleeves rolled up and tied). I don't remember the footage of Kaiso (the Founder of Shorinji Kempo), SO Doshin and his daughter SO Yuki, but I remember there were pictures in the glossy pamphlet made to accompany the film. These pamphlets were on sale in London's Chinatown for years afterwards, and were of interest to Jet Li fans and Shorinji Kempo fans alike, at a time when English language materal on either was very scarce.

The pamphlet was an odd collection of "behind-the-scenes" and candid shots of the stars as they shot this amazing film in the most spectacular locations. There were profiles of the main stars and a section about Shorinji Kempo. They managed to find a load of different ways to spell it, from "Shorin Kendo" to "Shorin Jikempo" and combinations of the two.

There were two Shorinji Kenshi who took active roles in the movie. I'm sad to say I only know the name of one, but it would be difficult for any Kenshi NOT to know Yamasaki Sensei, the Head of the Zenrin Gakuen (formerly known as Busen Academy), which is the full-time college for Instructors of Shorinji Kempo. He is the one dressed as a Monk, as described by Merlin above.

There is more footage of Shorinji Kempo seen on the documentary about The Shaolin Temple called "Jet Li's Art of War" (The English video release title in around 1995). It is a Chinese made documentary about the monks at Shaolin and it concentrates on their party-piece skills such as one-finger handstand, iron shirt and pulling-heavy-things-with-a-rope-around-your-testicles . Jet Li is introduced as a kind of Host, "revisiting" the school and clips from the movie are shown. In one of these clips, the two Kenshi are seen teaching Jet Li a wrist throw that we call gyaku gote.

As I understand it (no proof, just a vague memory), some of the financial backing for the film either came from Shorinji Kempo or some of our friends in high places in Japan. I think I've read on here somewhere that Doshin So had made a comment that since no-one was training at the temple, the Shorinji Kempo monks in Japan were the ones carrying on this fine tradition of Monks training in the way of the fist. Controversial enough to kick-start the Chines Government into rebuilding the Temple to what it is now. I'll leave it to yo to decide if this was a good thing in hindsight.

For those still hug up on the "court case", may I suggest a saunter through these threads on E-Budo;

"a committed Christian could never train in this style with a good conscience" - where an online article is discussed, and the "1972 court case" gets mentioned. Oct 2003.

modern bujutsu and budo book - Where someone asks about the negative slant on Shorinji Kempo in the book (by Donn Draeger ). Feb 2004.

Some criticisms of Shorinji Kempo based on... yes Draeger's book! - Where the story is repeated, in the hope of getting some clear cut answers, with an interesting comment from Ellis Amdur. Jan 2005.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983-1988 Retired)

[This space intentionally blank ]

Greetings,

Does anyone know if there is an extended version of the movie? The fight scene beteewn Yu Hai and Yu Cheng Wei was edited down; we do not see the the transition from weapons to empty hands. Mainland China had a habit (may still have the habit) of editing out what they considered high level techniques from the movies. I was told by someone from the Mainland that there was another movie made called "Shaolin Disciples" (Shaolin Du Li) that featured the same cast as well as the other Shorinji Kempo practitioner that was not in the Shaolin Temple. There were more forms shown and the form that featured the posture that was used for the poster of "Shaolin Temple" was shown as well.

I am still looking for that one.

mickey

For those of you who may recognise the names, here is a quotation from Rogelio Casero regarding some details of SO Doshin's Chinese instructors. The quotation is from this old thread;

I have been doing research on Shorinji Kempo roots for some years, and I can say the following:
    Yihe Quan is a boxing style and also a secret society.
    As far as I know, Yihe Quan society was founded by somebody called Chu Hungtang from Shandong. Another theory is that Yihe Quan sect was created by Zhou Hongyi from Zhili at the end of the Ming dynasty. I donīt know whether Chu Hungtang and Zhou Hongyi are the same individual with different transcription of his name or they are two diferent individuals.
    Apparently, at the beginning Chu Hungtang stressed only on Kung Fu practice, without teaching any philosophy, but years later, after reading some books about Bagua sect and White Lotus society, he turned Yihe Quan into a philosophical society, which later took part in the Boxer Uprising.
    As a boxing style, and according to many Kung Fu masters, Yihe Quan is the same as Meihua Quan (Plum Blossom Boxing). Apparently Chu Hungtang did Meihua Quan and taught his style to Yihe Quan members. Later, during Boxers Rebellion, masters of others styles joined Yihe Quan society.
    As regards Wan Xian Zhai, he is the founder of Yi Quan, a different style from Yihe Quan, which bears no relation to this one. Yi Quan is based on Xingyi Quan, another famous Kung Fu style.
    In relation to Wen Taizongīs name, I must say that he was also known as Ziming, but I have never heard other names of him, though I have read other transcriptions from chinese as Wen Lao Cho or Wen Lanshi.
    Regards.
    Rogelio Casero
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983-1988 Retired)

[This space intentionally blank ]