View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1334 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 3348341234128413241332133313341335 LastLast
Results 19,996 to 20,010 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by JCBG View Post

The Tai Chi in SD intrigues me because it's NOTHING like any Tai Chi I've seen anywhere before. Again, this doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing, but it's interesting that it's totally different. I have learned various applications from it and enjoy practicing it but I feel as though it isn't "authentic" as such. It's definitely good to do though during my "recovery days" or as a good warmup/cool down exercise and just something to kind of settle down and relax your mind once in a while. And yeah, the only Tai Chi school within driving distance of me is that New Age crap you mentioned so I think the SD wins over that one, LOL!

I.
    The Tai Chi in SD is literally Cheng Man Ching's 37 posture form (shotgunned in 2 places [hanging lotus/cloud hands]) and Chen Zheng Lei's 18 posture Chen form, for starters. The SD applications are generally pretty simple (from what I remember). Tai Chi is basically slow Longfist. I know that's a simplification, but if you've done Longfist for decades, you know this to be pretty true. The applications in SD's Tai Chi are elementary, and often unrealistic (take "single whip" as a backhand slap and then a palm push--lol--when in reality it's closer to the way SD teaches chin-na hip throws). Get what you can out of it, and definitely avoid the new age crap. But you can improve your form even with video instruction. I remember starting THERE--with video instruction to fix my form's mechanics. Luckily, I've crossed paths with many talented Tai Chi practitioners (traditional Yang, Chen, and Sangfeng Pai) whose lessons always pushed my mechanics even further. I have my own judgments about Cheng Man Ching's lineage--they almost all practice as if they too were midgets (the master was a tiny guy, so his own edits to the Yang long form tended to stress his natural advantages of a low center of gravity that doesn't require much movement to get lower); and they perform it as if they too were rather lacking in a certain "long-limbed" athleticism.

I also greatly enjoy Cheng Man Ching's book (13 treatises). The man was a scholar. His written instructions/reflections for practice can really hyper-focus your study for improvement. The man goes on for pages regarding the proper alignment of your wrists in the first motion of the form. LOL.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 03-05-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Here is a video by a Choy Li Fut sifu demonstrating a back hand slap from his system. It is almost identical to the move we were taught in the 2nd white crane form at brown belt. I don’t think I’ve seen another system do this move so close to Shaolin do. It kinda makes a point I’ve believed for awhile. The core material and the movements can trace their roots to Shaolin. Even though the arrangement of form movements themselves are different. I have found other connections as well. Anyway. Have a great holiday.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-npsZsn1grc&feature=share
    You can find that same slap all throughout CMA. I do a similar sequence, from back palm to forward palm in Xuan Wu Quan.[1:10] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0unfFnqianI

I've seen this slap firsthand in 3 different styles, minimum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    You can find that same slap all throughout CMA. I do a similar sequence, from back palm to forward palm in Xuan Wu Quan.[1:10] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0unfFnqianI

I've seen this slap firsthand in 3 different styles, minimum.
    Further illustrating the point I was trying to make.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Further illustrating the point I was trying to make.
    Still going????
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

yes it is. You can call me Mr. 20000 Post Dusty Road Guy.

Does Anyone Remember

For those involved in SD many years ago, do you remember what year Hiang came back with his 7th degree and do you remember any stories regarding how he obtained it?

Interesting question, I would like to know
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Does Anyone Remember

Hiang site says he obtained his 7th degree just before his teacher died in 1978. Funny, his teacher die in 1975…….

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Here lies Hiang teacher who die in 1975
    Great find!

If memory serves, the story at the time was that Dr. Ie had passed and Hiang was tested by a committee of the Elder students. I could be remembering wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    If memory serves, the story at the time was that Dr. Ie had passed and Hiang was tested by a committee of the Elder students. I could be remembering wrong.
    Per Hiang’s own website “ Liu Su Peng also conducted advanced weapons training with Master Thè with the chain and fire whips, and throwing daggers. Master Liu Su Peng promoted Master Thè to his seventh degree rank just prior to Master Liu's death in 1978.”

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Per Hiang’s own website “ Liu Su Peng also conducted advanced weapons training with Master Thè with the chain and fire whips, and throwing daggers. Master Liu Su Peng promoted Master Thè to his seventh degree rank just prior to Master Liu's death in 1978.”
    You are exactly right. So, neither brother is without sin……no pun intended. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by OldandUsed View Post
    Ie passed in 1968.

Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé

North American Kung Fu competition brings martial art lovers together

Source: XinhuaEditor: huaxia2023-11-12 20:32:17

Video: The North American Shaolin Kung Fu Games took place in San Gabriel, a neighboring city of Los Angeles on Nov. 11, 2023, hosting 1,200 participants. (Xinhua)
    Shaolin schools in the United States often infuse cultural elements into their curriculum. Students can learn about Chinese philosophy, history and traditions, gaining a broader perspective on the world.

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 12 (Xinhua) -- The North American Shaolin Kung Fu Games took place Saturday in San Gabriel, a neighboring city of Los Angeles, hosting 1,200 participants, with their teachers and loved ones there to cheer them on.
    Reconvened after its initial launch in 2013, the event featured performances and competitions for all ages from 4 to 60. The atmosphere buzzed with excitement as Kung Fu lovers from across the United States met to compete for medals.
    Originating in the Shaolin Temple of China, this ancient martial art has found a new home in the United States, where it continues to impart invaluable lessons to its students.
    "Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi are something the West can learn from the East," said Grandmaster Sin Kwan Thé, who is the leader of a number of Shaolin centers across the United States.
    One of the best effects of Shaolin Kung Fu is physical fitness, he told Xinhua, adding that regular practice can increase cardiovascular fitness, improve muscle tone, enhance flexibility and even better one's posture.
    Matthew Banks, the owner of a fighting and healing center in the state of Arizona, said that Shaolin Kung Fu is "very good for holistic health."
    Some participants of the event came for sheer joy though a medal or two are always welcome.
    "It makes me happy!" said Zoya and Ceadda, both 6 years old from the Shaolin Tai Chi Cultural Heritage Center in Las Vegas.
    Patrick Clark was there to watch his nieces compete. One of them, Mila Nguyen, 11, pulled in two gold medals and a silver while the other was preparing for her turn in front of the judges. "They're amazing," said the proud uncle.
    "They've always been interested in martial arts," explained their mother Danvo, who takes them to train at a Shaolin center.
    Practitioners said the benefits of learning Kung Fu include not only physical fitness, but also reducing stress and anxiety, increasing a sense of calm and mental clarity and getting a better understanding of themselves.
    "It makes us more calm and collected and more focused during intense moments," said a young competitor.
    "Our Shifu teaches us about respect, discipline and how to really listen and treat people better," said Allison, a 14-year-old competitor from Las Vegas.
    Shaolin schools in the United States often infuse cultural elements into their curriculum. Students can learn about Chinese philosophy, history and traditions, gaining a broader perspective on the world.
    "Chinese Shaolin martial art is a legacy that continues to shape the lives of its practitioners and contributes positively to the world," said Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé.
    For the record, I did NOT see Grandmaster Sin Kwang Thé there. I was all over this event. If he was present, I'm sure someone would've pointed him out to me had I just not seen him.

Abbot Shi Yongxin's 2023 West Coast visit & Shaolin Kung Fu Games
    Is-Shaolin-Do-for-real
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Another Sin Kwan Thé quote? What's up with that ECNS?

Abbot Shi highlights the shared values of Shaolin culture in the U.S.
    2023-11-17 09:14:42 Global TimesEditor : Li Yan

Shi Yongxin (back row, center), Abbot of the Shaolin Temple, poses for a photo with guests and participants of the 2023 North American Shaolin Games in Los Angeles, the US, on November 10, 2023. (Photo/Courtesy of the Shaolin Temple)

Drunken fist, spear techniques, staff techniques… these are the Shaolin kung fu skills traditionally showcased in Hollywood movies. These and other kung fu techniques were demonstrated at the 2023 North American Shaolin Games held in Los Angeles.

Approximately 500 Shaolin disciples from over 40 states in the U.S., as well as from countries and regions including Canada and Mexico, participated in the event.

A decade since the first North American Shaolin Cultural Festival in 2013, the Shaolin Temple, renowned for its centuries-old tradition of martial arts, is once again hosting an official cultural exchange event in the U.S., featuring performances and competitions for all ages from 4 to 60.

"Shaolin culture, as a representative of excellent traditional Chinese culture, conveys values of compassion, peace, health, and harmony that everyone can accept and feel. I believe Shaolin culture can establish positive connections with people from countries all over the world," Shi Yongxin, Abbot of the Shaolin Temple, told the Global Times.

In his opening speech at the games, Shi expressed the hope that through this event, the values of Shaolin kung fu - physical fitness, clarity of mind, and harmony - could be showcased.

"We hope that overseas Shaolin kung fu practitioners will actively inherit and disseminate Chinese culture, promoting the understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture among people of various ethnicities and contributing to the deepening of the friendship between the Chinese and American peoples," remarked Wang Taiyu, Cultural Counselor of the Chinese Consulate General in Los Angeles, at the opening ceremony of the games.

The examination of practice is a tradition at the Shaolin Temple. Every year, the temple assesses eight kinds of practice, including preaching, chanting, and the etiquette of the disciples over the past year. The Shaolin kung fu examination, known as "kaogong" in Chinese, is one of these eight components.

Flourishing overseas

The tradition of Shaolin kung fu competitions has flourished overseas since 2011, according to Shi. Events like the European Shaolin Cultural Festival and the North American Shaolin Cultural Festival all regard the Shaolin kung fu competition as core. In 2022, the Shaolin kung fu online competition continued this tradition, uniting 5,320 participants from 94 countries and regions across six continents.

The North American Shaolin Games is one of the events jointly organized by the Shaolin Temple and the Six Continents Shaolin Federation for the 2023-2024 World Six Continents Shaolin Kung Fu Examination Competition.

The games aim to "promote the organization of the competition, increase the autonomy and enthusiasm of all continents and countries and regions, facilitate multilevel participation and exchanges, and realize the normalization and sustainability of Shaolin kung fu competitions, while enhancing standardization, internationalization, socialization, and Shaolin kung fu brand reputation," according to Shi.

Prior to the North American examination, past editions of the Shaolin Games were held in Zambia in Africa, Singapore in Asia, and Argentina in Latin America.

In the current North American examination, over 500 Shaolin disciples participated in nearly 2,000 matches. "Shaolin kung fu and tai chi style are something the West can learn from the East," Grandmaster Sin Kwan Thé, leader of a number of Shaolin centers across the U.S., told the Xinhua News Agency.

He added that one of the best effects of Shaolin kung fu is physical fitness, and regular practice can increase cardiovascular fitness, improve muscle tone, enhance flexibility, and even better one's posture.

According to Shi, currently, the Shaolin Temple has over 300 overseas Shaolin cultural centers in more than 100 countries and regions.

In the U.S. alone, more than 40 states boast Shaolin cultural centers, some operated by monks sent from the temple and others established by overseas disciples, Shi told the Global Times.

Shaolin kung fu is a representative of Shaolin culture. Shaolin culture encompasses various forms of expression, including health preservation, martial arts, medicine, and Zen art, Shi said, adding, "The rich tapestry of Shaolin culture allows individuals from different walks of life to experience its unique charm," in response to why Shaolin culture is popular in Western countries.

The North American Shaolin Games is one of the many events Abbot Shi has taken part in during his 13-day North American tour which kicked off on November 1.

Shi's visits have included participation in various celebrations hosted by Shaolin Temple USA, such as the 15th and 16th anniversary celebrations of the San Francisco Shaolin Cultural Center and the Fremont Shaolin Cultural Center, respectively.

At Fremont, Shi hosted prayer ceremonies, introduced his new English book The Shaolin Temple Story, held book signings, and visited the Chinatown of San Francisco. Additionally, Shi provided guidance during visits to several Shaolin academies in the San Francisco Bay Area.

'A standardized system'

Looking ahead, Abbot Shi shared the Shaolin Temple's plans to promote systematic and scientific learning of Shaolin kung fu by introducing the "Shaolin Duanpin system," a rating system for the evaluation of Shaolin kung fu practitioners.

The promotion of the system "aims to establish a standardized system of Shaolin kung fu routines, promoting the dissemination of Shaolin kung fu both domestically and internationally. This is to achieve the goals of promoting traditional Chinese culture and enhancing the health of people worldwide," Shi told the Global Times.

This year, the Shaolin Temple staged the first Shaolin Duanpin workshops. "The promotion and development of the standardized "Shaolin Duanpin system" will propel Shaolin kung fu into a new historical development stage," Shi said.
    Abbot Shi Yongxin's 2023 West Coast visit & Shaolin Kung Fu Games
    Is-Shaolin-Do-for-real
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart