View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 582 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 824825325725805815825835845926326821082 ... LastLast
Results 8,716 to 8,730 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    And SD is represented in mma?
    YUP in a very small scale.....some of the guys in Ky and surrounding states like to mix it up....like you said, in any system you can find althletes who get it....if you know what I mean
    I think Coach Ross on NY has done a great job of transforming his Lama fist into an art that does it all.
    I totally agree! I have nothing but respect for what he's done and his teacher is one of the exceptions I was refering to

We'll start seeing CMA schools from the PRC in MMA soon - as they adopt the ground game needed for the cage. There is already a growing Shaui Chiao/BJJ club and more.
    I would love to see it!

As far as playing with MMA guys, I've gotten nothing but respect from them. Water dragon's other teacher is a well known champion in MMA who completely dug what I was giving him as tools. I used to fight regularly with a bunch when I lived out West. You'd love this: My first meeting i came in a silk kung fu outfit with patches - just to throw them off their game.
    Now that I would really have loved to seen

Then there is the real world. Usage in reality is CMA's bread and butter when it is taught well. More on this later... and I'll cover the biggest flaw of the CMA mindset - which I'll bet SD shares...
    I'm sure we do!
    fjs;adkj;nkvaevemklr

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Why the personal attacks
    Any man that would lie about having served his country has no dignity.

Since Vietnam the military has not really served the country but the desires of the corporate few and politicians, I respect those who fought despite the stupidity of the cause. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

And SD is represented in mma? This will be a longer post when i'm feeling better - got laid low by a brutal bug the last few days.
    Oh Lordy, another MMA rant? WTF? We're all cushy Americans (even us poor ones) who do CMA for fun. ****.....we're on the internet *****ing about this ****. What more proof do you need? LOL.....we're a bunch of Athenians fronting like we're Spartans.......

Frankly, if we had had MMA in the late 80's when I actively competed, I would have been there.
    Wannabe? Are you admitting you're a wannabe? LOL.....just kidding. Or am I?

But pit fighting is a different strategy than military. When Cheng Dong Sheng was asked why he did not teach groundwork, he threw the fellow down, then produced a metal spike from his boot.
    His proof: Pit Fighter vs. Metal Gear Solid

Pit fighter might have been more realstic, but it sucked @ass. You could only be a wrestler, a skinny asian dude, or a brawler. Metal Gear was unreal, but it was the coolest! UNREAL, DUDE!!!!

Now, i happen to think combat sports are good for training (hey, I started in judo and did Shuai Chiao, so to me TCMA HAS live training) - but you can lose a lot when you start playing to the rules.
    Everyone plays by the rules; those who don't are called criminals. Yeah, I go by rules. I'm not a professional fighter, SD does not teach professional fighters, and if by chance it does, it's not teaching them to be professional fighters. There's nothing wrong with MMA or professional fighters; I love the UFC and MMA. But I have no desire to fight in a ring, and I don't really think any SD guys do either, or else they'd be in the ring. And if they were, they'd get a professional coach. Doing jumping jacks, push ups, weight-vest, I Chin Ching---they're not going to turn anyone into Chuck Liddell. You have to have a coach......so WTF are you talking about?

I've been to other CMA schools. I visited an MMA school. Nobody (outside SanShou circuits)in CMA is doing what they do in MMA--professional training that is.

We'll start seeing CMA schools from the PRC in MMA soon - as they adopt the ground game needed for the cage. There is already a growing Shaui Chiao/BJJ club and more.
    Then they're not CMA schools. They're MMA schools. And I don't foresee many skinny little asian mantids in MMA, dude. They'll get all roided up, don the biker shorts, and voila! --CMMA!

As far as playing with MMA guys, I've gotten nothing but respect from them.
    They were being polite. You know, like all those CMA masters that were polite to GM The', but obviously didn't mean it.

Water dragon's other teacher is a well known champion in MMA who completely dug what I was giving him as tools.
    You're shoveling a bunch of dung with puns like that.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 12-15-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Any man that would lie about having served his country has no dignity.
    Um, George W. Bush told the truth about serving his country, but he has no dignity.

We're going to have to draft a new premise for this valuation of dignity, aren't we?

My God....My God.....sometimes I forget how silly this whole martial arts world is.

By the way, I have a 13 inch Johnson.

LOL....it's common belief on this website amongst most styles, for hte most part.....LOL.

Here's what's common belief among the SD faithful:

I have to perform my material correctly to pass a belt ranking test.
    I have to pay my dues every month in order to keep getting lessons.
    I have to buy my own weapons and bring them to class, or else I'll do a ****load of exercises because I'm being punished (for being lazy and not bringing them, not if I can't afford them, or something).
    I have to be on time.
    I have to honor my teachers by being polite and listening to what they have to say.
    I have to ask questions about what I don't understand, and then I'll get answers.
    I have to wear a mouthguard when I spar, no matter what. If a student is below black belt, he has to wear his gloves and shinpads. Otherwise, it's optional.
    If I don't have anything nice to say about my fellow students, I am to shut the **** up and suck it up and be a man.
    If can wear shoes if I want, but they have to be kung-fu shoes.
    If I break a mirror or put my foot through some drywall, I have to fix it (although one of my friends fixed it for me out of kindness.)

Quit looking for conspiracy theories. There aren't any. If there are, they're in your head. Whatever an individual believes, that's his belief. I didn't hear any of the bull**** you guys hash up here on this board until I visited this board. All I care is do I get to punch some stuff and pretend like I'm a crane? Yup. So I'll keep payin' my monthly dues.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 12-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Attn

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEarp View Post
    Hi guys,

Been awhile. But i'm back. I'm happy to anounce that my master wanted some videos on youtube, more are still to come. But this one shows how kung fu looks like no karate movements or fancy high kicks.(sorry that the video is on his side, still figuring that part out)
    This is my teacher and he was taught at bandung.
    Please tell me what you think!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABj78...eature=related
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEarp View Post
    O and another one with a student showing a piece of our long form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfohs...eature=related

Since this seemed to get completely ignored, I'm reposting it. I'll have to watch it once I get home from work.

Shaolin Wookie,
    Your response was so retarded and out of context, I won't even bother responding.

Now go take your lithium and prozac. Oh, the Kool-aid too.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Shaolin Wookie,
    Your response was so retarded and out of context, I won't even bother responding.

Beat you to it. I had Chick Fil-A and a Full Throttle. That'll keep me going for awhile.

Shaolin Wookie,

Actually that was kinda funny.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

But pit fighting is a different strategy than military. When Cheng Dong Sheng was asked why he did not teach groundwork, he threw the fellow down, then produced a metal spike from his boot.

Now, i happen to think combat sports are good for training (hey, I started in judo and did Shuai Chiao, so to me TCMA HAS live training) - but you can lose a lot when you start playing to the rules.
    Isn't this just a watered down way of saying that some techniques are too deadly for the ring? (like producing a spike from your boot)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Shaolin Wookie,

You know, it's most entertaining to read this board to watch the automatic defensive reactions of the SD-haters when they're called on their faulty logic regarding their own arts and stories.

Mas Judt, for instance, will expound about everything under the sun, especially if he feels like the Internet heathens are kneeling at the feet of his awesome knowledge.

But as soon as someone calls him on something he's written, particularly if they do it with humor, he sucks his head like a scared baby turtle back up into his 'you guys are stupid' shell. What a convincing (and effective!) debate method.

Wookie's response was both in context and well-written. You can't handle the spoof!
    Meanwhile, I'll be looking for God in this box of Cheerios - Crushing Fist

Hey Mas

Originally Posted by Mas Judt
    Frankly, if we had had MMA in the late 80's when I actively competed, I would have been there.

Didnt a fellow "Icant remember his name " have the guts to do the MMA challenge at the age of 52, What was his name he was a black guy who taught since the
    70's. Any way why let age stop you ??? KC Or is it age that stops you??????
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by DPL View Post
    You know, it's most entertaining to read this board to watch the automatic defensive reactions of the SD-haters when they're called on their faulty logic regarding their own arts and stories.

Mas Judt, for instance, will expound about everything under the sun, especially if he feels like the Internet heathens are kneeling at the feet of his awesome knowledge.

But as soon as someone calls him on something he's written, particularly if they do it with humor, he sucks his head like a scared baby turtle back up into his 'you guys are stupid' shell. What a convincing (and effective!) debate method.

Wookie's response was both in context and well-written. You can't handle the spoof!
    It's kind of along these lines:

There are a lot of guys on this internet forum who love to look down their noses at other martial artists as the say-all of MA knowledge. And they would like us, standing below them, to thank them for the panoramic view of their nasal cavities.

The funny thing is, whenever anyone looks down their nose, the only thing they can ever see is its tip. Which ought to tell them--but rarely does--how short they ought to stand in their own estimation while deriding those they see as below them.

I'm just here to level the playing field....LOL....and to bring it back to the level where it belongs--the playground.

Achoo! God, I hope I wasn't just looking down on somebody, or he's in for a surprise.