View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1315 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 315815121512651305131313141315131613171325 ... LastLast
Results 19,711 to 19,725 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Evryone gets so focused on whats new, and they never really work it before they chase the next NEW. Don't get me wrong I go to the new class take the form. Some I do work, some I really like and have dug in to. But a lot I never touch, their just not for me. But I enjoy just getting with other teachers and students. But the basics from white to black is where I find most of wat I use. I may see this move or that different the you do. I have a training partner and we both apply the same moves differently.
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Quote Originally Posted by shen ku View Post
    The way the basics are put together really allows a person to grow, if they work them and not just push rank..
    And then the forms begin to get into the way. I found about 10 forms that were good for me. I practiced the hell out of them, neglected the others, and stuck with that program. It worked out well. Attain mastery of some core formal concepts to concretize techniques, and you'll get better at forms you don't practice, and probably don't need to. But the variety is nice from a cardio standpoint, if nothing else

I used to laugh a little though when we'd learn a new form with a particularly emphasized technique, and people would treat it as a defining move. Meanwhile, they'd do the same move in 10 other forms without emphasis....lol. Did it too myself for a while

Yes

I know what you mean. When I teach I often point out a move and then point it out orm.in like 10 other spots in the system to show how iortant that move is, not just that f
    ...or is there something i have missed a glimpse of phantoms in the mist. Traveling down a dusty road bent forward with this heavy load..

Amazing!

It is amazing that this is still going on! I was away for a while and thought I would check on the thread.

I know, right?

Not only is it still going, it's still on the first page of the Shaolin forum. Whassup wid dat?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Was the question eventually answered?

Simply Amazing

I don't know how to explain that, really. I was part of the SD cult for many years. During that time, I was surprised at the venom I experienced from those outside of SD in the "accepted" MA community. I had cross-trained in other arts and had other things that I did, but was always surprised at the reaction when I said I did SD.

I realize that SKT lied about much of the material he put out and that his background is questionable, but it is not like there is not a precedent of what he did all through the MA community. I do not know why he did not just call it something else and get on with it.

This thread is entertainment for me. I do not want to prop up SD and I do not want to diss SD, I just want to visit and enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Inv View Post
    Was the question eventually answered?
    It's all in how you define "for real."

Blog Entries

Split

I checked the Denver school's website and Sin The' doesn't seem to be mentioned. Checked Sin The's website and no Soards. I guess they did split.

Snow

I love working internals in the snow!!

Anyone know any more on the splits?

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    That's always been one of the most effective criticisms of SD. No matter what you think of the origins of the system, the efficacy of what is taught is always the primary point. And if you learn so much material that it is impossible to keep worked up and effective, then it starts to lose its point. At one time I had a schedule where I would work on all my material in a given week. Just to go through the forms I had learned once would equal 15 to 20 hours a week of training. Unless you are a full time instructor, that type of schedule is difficult to maintain. I've forgotten more forms than some systems have....
    True. This is part of the reason I've elected not to test beyond 1st black. I got 1st black almost four years ago now and have decided that I already have almost too much material to keep solid at the same time. I also made this decision because I believe most of the "stolen" stuff is taught out at the higher ranks (there are too many moves in the black tigers that come from the short katas for them to be stolen). My teacher has asked me to test a couple of times but I think he's become okay with the idea that I'm just going to hold what I've got. Every now and then, he'll teach me a random form (most recently 14th crane, which is a nice piece).

Anywho, it's been a while since I've been on. My work finally decided to block the forum so I don't get one very much. Hope you are all well.

Blog Entries
    is this part of shaolin do?
    http://www.shoushu.com/blog/1
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Looks like a club that will take in instructors leaving their own system.
    The guy does make me think SD. The dimonds on his belt are often used in SD.

Its like a ghost town in here.